2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Woj confirming Parker to Bulls.  Don't have access to twitter where I'm at or I would post.  From what I read elsewhere, sounded like quite a bit of money over 3 years.  Seems like a steep price for a guy coming off of 2 ACLs'.  Of course Bucks can match.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Woj confirming Parker to Bulls.  Don't have access to twitter where I'm at or I would post.  From what I read elsewhere, sounded like quite a bit of money over 3 years.  Seems like a steep price for a guy coming off of 2 ACLs'.  

They way it reads is like they are still negotiating. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Woj confirming Parker to Bulls.  Don't have access to twitter where I'm at or I would post.  From what I read elsewhere, sounded like quite a bit of money over 3 years.  Seems like a steep price for a guy coming off of 2 ACLs'.  

KC Johnson is confirming its close. He doesn’t know if the Bucks will renounce him or the Bulls will have to sign him to an offer sheet. The plan is to play him at SF. 

I would hate to be the guy in charge of the defense.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Tony said:

I’m sort of in agreement with the sentiment that at this point, it seems impossible to compete with the big dogs at this point, if you have a roster that’s fun and entertaining, whatever. 

Its almost just an entirely different way of calculating risk.

The first option was to clear salary so you had a chance at a superstar. The Bulls seem to be taking the risk on injured players, who could possibly turn into more. 

At least it could be a young team with talent potential. 

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

KC Johnson is confirming its close. He doesn’t know if the Bucks will renounce him or the Bulls will have to sign him to an offer sheet. The plan is to play him at SF. 

I would hate to be the guy in charge of the defense.

If somehow the Bucks renounced him that'd be great for making the Bulls able to have option or nonguaranteed years. What benefit would there be to the Bucks?

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Its almost just an entirely different way of calculating risk.

The first option was to clear salary so you had a chance at a superstar. The Bulls seem to be taking the risk on injured players, who could possibly turn into more. 

At least it could be a young team with talent potential. 

It would be disappointing if this move ended the Bulls' chance at a superstar. 

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If somehow the Bucks renounced him that'd be great for making the Bulls able to have option or nonguaranteed years. What benefit would there be to the Bucks?

Frees up his hold immediately,  and if the break up is inevitable they can say I dumped you. Not matching an offer sheet for a former #2 overall  pick could look cheap especially considering the new arena they just built.

and it probably is easier to work a sign and trade.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Im not a cap expert, but my guess is that they still can go after 1 next year. But Im thinking 2 would be impossible.

Exactly. This would be bulls trying to put out as good of a team possible to market to a max guy in the offseason. Or they leverage some of these guys in a trade for a superstar (of course that assumes someone is demanding to come to Chicago and for the players to look good) 

I’m surprised people are positive on this. The team fit is horrendous, and we once again appear to be paying premium prices in remarkably down market.

how many teams even have cap space right now? 

If hes great, you have him on a short deal and are not guaranteed to keep him.

If he’s bad you both:

- lost opportunities to acquire assets with the cap space as well as opportunity to sign additional max player next year

- frankly hurt the development of Lauri/Carter as adding another high usage poor defending player to the mix both reduces their roles and could push them in bad habits.

had we let Lavine walk and signed Parker at 12/13 per it would have been interesting. Signing both together and at rumored 20 mill, just makes me sad.

for about a one week period, when I realized just how clean the bulls books were and how they could use that and getting a nice player on WCJ after getting screwed on draft position, I thought bulls were gonna do this right, we’re being disciplined.

Then the Lavine offer came in.

The kicker is going to be when they sign Portis to an extension to be their 4th PF, further chipping away at the thought this FO wouldn’t screw this up.

if staying in playoffs was so important I’d rather they just had kept Butler.

I don't love the fit, but one way to look at it is that he showed he's not going to be a star playing the 4 all the time, so it's worth taking a shot at developing him as a 3. In other words, the Bulls probably want him to be like Melo, only playing the 4 when you're playing small lineups. And with the Bulls personnel, you're not going to play small very often. 

You're going to have a really long starting lineup as far as wingspan is concerned:

Dunn – 6'10"

LaVine – 6'9"

Jabari – 7'0"

Lauri – 7'0"

RoLo – 7'5"

And the bench has length as well:

WCJ – 7'5"

Hutchison – 7'1"

Portis – 7'2"

Holiday – 7'0"

Valentine – 6'11"

Felicio – 7'0"

Blakeney – 6'8"

Payne – 6'7"

14 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Frees up his hold immediately,  and if the break up is inevitable they can say I dumped you. Not matching an offer sheet for a former #2 overall  pick could look cheap especially considering the new arena they just built.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I’m surprised people are positive on this. The team fit is horrendous, and we once again appear to be paying premium prices in remarkably down market.

how many teams even have cap space right now? 

If hes great, you have him on a short deal and are not guaranteed to keep him.

If he’s bad you both:

- lost opportunities to acquire assets with the cap space as well as opportunity to sign additional max player next year

- frankly hurt the development of Lauri/Carter as adding another high usage poor defending player to the mix both reduces their roles and could push them in bad habits.

had we let Lavine walk and signed Parker at 12/13 per it would have been interesting. Signing both together and at rumored 20 mill, just makes me sad.

for about a one week period, when I realized just how clean the bulls books were and how they could use that and getting a nice player on WCJ after getting screwed on draft position, I thought bulls were gonna do this right, we’re being disciplined.

Then the Lavine offer came in.

The kicker is going to be when they sign Portis to an extension to be their 4th PF, further chipping away at the thought this FO wouldn’t screw this up.

if staying in playoffs was so important I’d rather they just had kept Butler.

I understand both sides. If you chose to tank , go all in and finish it off. That is reasonable, and sign 2 max guys. But then you can also look at the reality, and try to be realistic. There is going to be a lot of competition for max guys next season. There is no guarantee they could get one, let alone two, and if the past has anything to do with it, the one guy they get very well could be a guy you really don’t want to max anyways. They have gone the developmental route, which would be unique. At least in the NBA it seems very rare guys breakout into stars when they haven’t been stars the first 4 or 5 years in their careers. The Bulls want this to happen twice. I think they had to sign Lavine , but I read a great comp to him the other day. Reggie Theus. Fun to watch, especially when he was younger, but played no D, and ultimately wasn’t a winning player. Lavine might be a guy who ultimately gets 25 a night on a 25 win team. 

With Jabari, I think he gets a little more support because he is a local guy. Still very young, but 2 knee blowouts, has to be concerning. The Bulls leaking how they are going to get him in great shape and develop him is wishful thinking. You can try to say the Bucks aren’t good at development but they developed one of the top 3 or 4 players in the game.

i hope it all goes right. I am very skeptical, but I was more skeptical about them bringing 2 max guys in. Jimmy coming back and bring Kyrie with hm?  That wasn’t going to happen. And this probably won’t work either but at least if they are healthy enough to play, which again I kind of doubt, you should see some high scoring games.

The bottom line is GarPax are not championship level executives.  This is thei max. The odds that it will work are above zero, but maybe as Steve wrote, we should just be satisfied with an entertaining team, even if we know it isn’t capable of a title.

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I understand both sides. If you chose to tank , go all in and finish it off. That is reasonable, and sign 2 max guys. But then you can also look at the reality, and try to be realistic. There is going to be a lot of competition for max guys next season. There is no guarantee they could get one, let alone two, and if the past has anything to do with it, the one guy they get very well could be a guy you really don’t want to max anyways. They have gone the developmental route, which would be unique. At least in the NBA it seems very rare guys breakout into stars when they haven’t been stars the first 4 or 5 years in their careers. The Bulls want this to happen twice. I think they had to sign Lavine , but I read a great comp to him the other day. Reggie Theus. Fun to watch, especially when he was younger, but played no D, and ultimately wasn’t a winning player. Lavine might be a guy who ultimately gets 25 a night on a 25 win team. 

With Jabari, I think he gets a little more support because he is a local guy. Still very young, but 2 knee blowouts, has to be concerning. The Bulls leaking how they are going to get him in great shape and develop him is wishful thinking. You can try to say the Bucks aren’t good at development but they developed one of the top 3 or 4 players in the game.

i hope it all goes right. I am very skeptical, but I was more skeptical about them bringing 2 max guys in. Jimmy coming back and bring Kyrie with hm?  That wasn’t going to happen. And this probably won’t work either but at least if they are healthy enough to play, which again I kind of doubt, you should see some high scoring games.

And I’m not against improving club and making playoffs if it just happens. But if we were going to make a splash in FA I’d rather we had targeted players like Capela and Smart, whose value I only see growing in better markets, and are tone setters for a young team.