2018-2019 Official NBA thread

28 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the Bulls know that to land an attractive max free agent there are going to have to prove they are a team that can win and that is why they made the move (bet on a young asset / former #2 pick) while trying to get your team to be mediocre. Still very unlikely we are a playoff team but if we do, fine, it means your young guys have probably emerged better/quicker than expected and you now are a more marketable destination.  Bare minimum you have to have your young talent showcase itself in a way that a max free agent sees himself + continued youth as a difference maker. Obviously the very ideal scenario (other than everyone just takes it up a notch or two and we become some great super team with our existing guys) is that you are close to the playoffs (but your youth and talent has a nice upward trajectory based upon their performance), we get lucky in the lottery (odds are much flatter) and we than have a young roster with an upward trajectory, a nice asset (pick wise) and cap space to lure a big time free agent (with the ability to create space for two if two want to come).  

If you completely suck this next year, than you aren't landing any big name free agents.  Not happening.

But I'm worried about the awkward fit not just being bad in this scenario, but creating tension and creating a circus (which has happened under Fred a bit too much).

If the defense is so exploitable, Fred may push one of Lavine or Parker to the 2nd unit, which could create some issues (see milwaukee last year). OR Lavine continues with tunnel vision play on a lineup that now has playmakers. OR Bobby portis is just pissed in general.

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

But I'm worried about the awkward fit not just being bad in this scenario, but creating tension and creating a circus (which has happened under Fred a bit too much).

If the defense is so exploitable, Fred may push one of Lavine or Parker to the 2nd unit, which could create some issues (see milwaukee last year). OR Lavine continues with tunnel vision play on a lineup that now has playmakers. OR Bobby portis is just pissed in general.

It will be interesting to see how Fred makes all of the pieces work, but the parts fit into his up-tempo style/pace of play. It isn't like he's getting forced parts that don't fit into what he wants to do. Teams this young will suck defensively no matter what...at this point I think they are just trying to see what young parts work vs. what young parts might be moved (since they aren't the right fit). Don't get too worked up on "perfect" fit at this moment and instead maximize the amount of guys with upside.

With that, there will bring some challenges of playing time. That said, Hoiberg did a solid job last year and seems rejuvenated.  I'm a lot more upbeat on Fred than I was a year ago.  Doesn't mean I'm sold on him but I could at least see him panning out and being a long term coach, but he has a tough road ahead of him.  

The Bulls are a more attractive destination to a big-time free agent if they get to come sign on for 4 years to play with a group of young players and be the final piece. You aren't getting a LeBron/LA type deal where they sign on to become a movie star and if the team gets good bonus.

Dunn
LaVine
Parker
Markkanen
Carter

That is a ready made Top 10 League Pass team roster, and the league will take note.*

*This assumes knees don't explode

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

The Bulls are a more attractive destination to a big-time free agent if they get to come sign on for 4 years to play with a group of young players and be the final piece. You aren't getting a LeBron/LA type deal where they sign on to become a movie star and if the team gets good bonus.

Dunn
LaVine
Parker
Markkanen
Carter

That is a ready made Top 10 League Pass team roster, and the league will take note.*

*This assumes knees don't explode

The problem is, the assumption is gigantic. 

If they stay healthy, they will be fun to watch. They won't win a title, but they will play more than 82 games.

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is, the assumption is gigantic. 

If they stay healthy, they will be fun to watch. They won't win a title, but they will play more than 82 games.

I'd rather have that assumption than no hope. Jabari was a good puzzle piece to add.

9 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Leonard has been traded to Toronto and he said he doesn't want to play there. NBA is full of babies who only want to play in a certain city or for a certain team

There are places I wouldn't want to live, but they know the deal when they sign up for this, and are paid a wage that supports a lifestyle not many can match.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't get this deal from the Toronto side at all.  You found a star player who wanted to stay in TOR, and you deal him for a guy that is leaving town ASAP. 

They wanted out of that DeRozan contract and they hope they can talk Kawhi into signing a max deal (which is like 30-35 [edit: 50!] million more than LA can offer) like OKC did with Paul George. 

The shrewdest move here is to immediately call up Magic and say Kawhi's available. But i'm not sure if that's possible. Isn't there a rule against trading players that were just traded? Don't you have to wait a certain amount of time? Especially with veterans?

Edited by Jenksismyhero

1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

They wanted out of that DeRozan contract and they hope they can talk Kawhi into signing a max deal (which is like 30-35 [edit: 50!] million more than LA can offer) like OKC did with Paul George. 

The shrewdest move here is to immediately call up Magic and say Kawhi's available. But i'm not sure if that's possible. Isn't there a rule against trading players that were just traded? Don't you have to wait a certain amount of time? Especially with veterans?

Stealing from a Reddit thread that I think is accurate:

If teams acquire a player in a trade, they are allowed to trade that player straight-up for another individual player immediately. However, if teams wish to package that player with another and make a trade, they must wait 60 days before doing so.

In 2015 Luke Ridnour was traded four times in a week.

Man, this is an interesting off the wall trade.

From TOR's prespective, they needed to switch it up after years and years of failing hard after having a very competitive team.

It's tough to trade away a player (DeMar) who wanted to stay there, I don't like that... to get a player who wants to leave them. However, Kawhi is undeniably the better player (when healthy and motivated) and with LeBron out of the East, the east is wide open to BOS and TOR. TOR should really go all in here and I don't think they would beat BOS with DeMarr.

Overall, I think it's a win now move from them and since Kawhi is deff. walking away after this, it hurts them long term. If I was a TOR fan, I'd be cautiously optimistic with it and very heart broken that DeMar is gone as he has been fantastic in TOR.

2 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Leonard has been traded to Toronto and he said he doesn't want to play there. NBA is full of babies who only want to play in a certain city or for a certain team

This happens in mlb all the time, mlb just has a system that sees NTCs easier to attain.

I say good for Toronto. They've been good for a while, but this is a swing for the fences that's worth it. It may only be marginal addition, but I think on the trajectory they were on, it's worth trying to go bold for the next step. Just not a trade you typically see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't get this deal from the Toronto side at all.  You found a star player who wanted to stay in TOR, and you deal him for a guy that is leaving town ASAP. 

It's not often you can acquire a top-5 NBA talent. It's the right move, but man Kawhi is a b****.

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I would have thought this would have been a good fit for him. Toronto is a great city (also a big city) but doesn't have the same pressure / dynamics as say a New York / LA.  

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not only that, but he might not even suit up for Toronto. Kawhi really irritates me. Such a drama queen

On 7/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, Chisoxfn said:

The more I think about this 

I think I said it previously, but I think Chicago could very much be that destination. It could also be the Clippers or Knicks (I suppose).  

He sat out all of last season what makes you think he will produce for them this season...he may re-pull that quad and that is it for the year.  That dudes circle is joke.