2018-2019 Official NBA thread

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I see how you guys get to that point, but I'm looking at that roster and thinking they are much more in a fight for 6th-10th crowd, any higher than that is in "let's assume everything goes right" territory, where those things include Lavine becoming a much better player and Parker becoming a much better player and no one getting hurt.

No one said let's assume everything goes right. I know that makes for an easier argument for you to take down but it's not what happened. The Bulls have a very young roster. If there is a key positive development or net positive developments throughout the year it's very much reasonable they are a playoff team. The ECF is bad. 

26 minutes ago, raBBit said:

No one said let's assume everything goes right. I know that makes for an easier argument for you to take down but it's not what happened. The Bulls have a very young roster. If there is a key positive development or net positive developments throughout the year it's very much reasonable they are a playoff team. The ECF is bad. 

"A playoff team" is different from a 4 seed, even in that conference.

I also honestly believe that the Bulls won't be in NBA hell making the playoffs. Outside of Golden State, Boston, and Houston, it's hard to find a more exciting starting 5 in the NBA in terms of upside.

This year is an audition. We have room for a max contract next year and we have tradeable assets for players under contract. 

The Bulls are suddenly very quickly in a good position to make some noise with player development and key strategic additions. It also seems to me like Paxson is taking more of the reins from Forman which is a good thing in terms of league perception.

The arrow is pointing up and I'm all in on this Bulls squad. I can't wait to watch these guys develop together.

3 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

I also honestly believe that the Bulls won't be in NBA hell making the playoffs. Outside of Golden State, Boston, and Houston, it's hard to find a more exciting starting 5 in the NBA in terms of upside.

This year is an audition. We have room for a max contract next year and we have tradeable assets for players under contract. 

The Bulls are suddenly very quickly in a good position to make some noise with player development and key strategic additions. It also seems to me like Paxson is taking more of the reins from Forman which is a good thing in terms of league perception.

The arrow is pointing up and I'm all in on this Bulls squad. I can't wait to watch these guys develop together.

I like this Steve and I hope he is right! 

For a contrast with the stuff above, the ESPN power rankings early have the Bulls in at 25th (they finished 25th overall last season) and an NBA.com one has the Bulls 12th in the Eastern Conference. The blog I linked has Boston, Philly, Torotno, Milwaukee, Indy, and Washington as the top 6 in the EC, but then kinda leaves 7 and 8 as a jumble where the Bulls could slot in. 

I gotta admit it's hard to see the Bulls being better than those teams (barring injury to Wall or Oladipo or something like that).

And it's hard for me to say that the Bulls are even better than the Heat (though I'd probably put heat ahead of WAS this year until they stop being injured and bored)

Boston and Toronto is going to be a fight as 1-2 seed. Philly/Milwaukee/Indy/Miami is the 3/4/5/6. That's a lock for me as top 6 teams.

The bad creeps in from there. Washington is probably still a 7. How bad are the Cavs without Lebron? How good will Porzingis be this year?

What if Jonathan Isaac is a star? That magic team has just an interesting lineup of figuring out Gordon/Isaac/Bamba. 

And then Detroit. A boring team nobody wants to watch. Still probably consistent enough to be the 8/9 pivot team for the 15th year in a row. Charlotte the same, unless they ship off kemba walker. And maybe even with them miles bridges could be a surprise player.

The nets

I don't see a team I've listed so far the bulls are definitely better than. They are definitely better. They are def better than the hawks. Probably better than the nets.

Saying bulls have most intriguing young roster. I don't even know about that. The suns roster is pretty intriguing.

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

For a contrast with the stuff above, the ESPN power rankings early have the Bulls in at 25th (they finished 25th overall last season) and an NBA.com one has the Bulls 12th in the Eastern Conference. The blog I linked has Boston, Philly, Torotno, Milwaukee, Indy, and Washington as the top 6 in the EC, but then kinda leaves 7 and 8 as a jumble where the Bulls could slot in. 

I gotta admit it's hard to see the Bulls being better than those teams (barring injury to Wall or Oladipo or something like that).

The Bulls are still extremely young and young teams don't typically win in the NBA. It takes time to learn how to win and really play good defense (and this team has some guys who have major defensive issues). Bulls will likely be a turn-style defensively which will limit a lot of the upside. I could see them being a playoff team, east is awful, but I could also see them being one of the worst teams in the conference, mainly because of their awful defense.  That said, if I were to bet, I'd probably put them in the 7-10 range.   

18 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The Bulls are still extremely young and young teams don't typically win in the NBA. It takes time to learn how to win and really play good defense (and this team has some guys who have major defensive issues). Bulls will likely be a turn-style defensively which will limit a lot of the upside. I could see them being a playoff team, east is awful, but I could also see them being one of the worst teams in the conference, mainly because of their awful defense.  That said, if I were to bet, I'd probably put them in the 7-10 range.   

Yeah. The bulls will be more interesting, but those boring Charlotte/det will be more consistent and pull out more of the games they are supposed to.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah. The bulls will be more interesting, but those boring Charlotte/det will be more consistent and pull out more of the games they are supposed to.

The important think is I think they will be enjoyable to watch and see who emerges (and unfortunately likely see who doesn't).  But for those worried about Lauri not getting touches, I think the Bulls know he is their best pure piece, so I can't imagine they won't be running a lot of stuff through him (as his development is crucial to the rebuild).  

If the Bulls rebuild succeeds, I envision a scenario where we trade some of our solid players for an above average player (we have a handful of guys that could certainly be packaged for a very good player demanding a trade) while also signing an above average player using cap space. One of those above average players could be a star, depends on how loosely you describe star.  

Something tells me that the Bulls will be more fun to watch in general, but possibly more frustrating to watch at the end of games where being able to play tough D really matters and you need somebody who can score even when everyone knows he's going to take a shot.

12 minutes ago, Jake said:

Something tells me that the Bulls will be more fun to watch in general, but possibly more frustrating to watch at the end of games where being able to play tough D really matters and you need somebody who can score even when everyone knows he's going to take a shot.

I hate teams that turn all isolation at the end of a game. Run your **** offense. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That seems insanely low coming off of a season where they just won 27 games.

It really does, especially when you think Dunn missed 30 games, LaVine missed 60. Laurie should be coming into his own, and Parker, it seems the over is free money . But then you realize, there is no such thing. 

If they don't go significantly past this number, Hoiball will be over in Chicago.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Dick Allen said:

It really does, especially when you think Dunn missed 30 games, LaVine missed 60. Laurie should be coming into his own, and Parker, it seems the over is free money . But then you realize, there is no such thing.

Plus a pretty good top draft pick.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If they don't go significantly past this number, Hoiball will be over in Chicago.

Agree with all of these points; That said, we should probably take last years record and reduce it by a good number of games to reflect the loss of Mirotic (without his run we aren't anywhere near  if you take away that run with Mirotic, they win a heck of a lot less games. So while they get all those guys back, the loss of Mirotic (for part of the season) probably is worth a reduction in 5-7 wins (kind of puts us around 20 wins)...than you build it back from there based upon all the factors you outlined.  

Fully agree with your thoughts though.  

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Agree with all of these points; That said, we should probably take last years record and reduce it by a good number of games to reflect the loss of Mirotic (without his run we aren't anywhere near  if you take away that run with Mirotic, they win a heck of a lot less games. So while they get all those guys back, the loss of Mirotic (for part of the season) probably is worth a reduction in 5-7 wins (kind of puts us around 20 wins)...than you build it back from there based upon all the factors you outlined.  

Fully agree with your thoughts though.  

It is also a team that got smacked by the NBA for trying to tank too hard to win only 27 games.  They probably should have been more like the low 30's if they hadn't benched everyone as much as possible.

What's the over/under wins for Hoiberg keeping his job? <=27 gets him fired, but it probably needs to be into the 30s a bit for him to really be safe. This is assuming everyone is healthy, which may be a bad assumption.