2018-2019 Official NBA thread

9 hours ago, Jake said:

What's the over/under wins for Hoiberg keeping his job? <=27 gets him fired, but it probably needs to be into the 30s a bit for him to really be safe. This is assuming everyone is healthy, which may be a bad assumption.

Well, the guy most certainly has "his team" so if he can't make this work and show "his system" works then get him the fuck out of here and get us a pro.

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

ESPN's BPI gives the Bulls a 2% chance of making the playoffs. 

There has to be something i am missing here. I get they are not a 60 win team, but among the worst in the league is hard to believe. 

The Bulls need a lot more health out of key guys than those guys have been able to provide in their careers.  After that, someone needs to take a leap and become the go to guy.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Bulls need a lot more health out of key guys than those guys have been able to provide in their careers.  After that, someone needs to take a leap and become the go to guy.

i agree completely, but to say they are a 50 to 1 shot at the playoffs is a bit crazy. They are mediocre to bad, but all the advanced numbers make them out to be top 3 or 4 awful in the league. 

I think they haven't been paying close attention. We may not have a clear star or #1, but outside of of the top 3 in the East, this team is as deep as any, that usually gives them a good chance to make the playoffs, even if say Jabari or Lavine misses time.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

i agree completely, but to say they are a 50 to 1 shot at the playoffs is a bit crazy. They are mediocre to bad, but all the advanced numbers make them out to be top 3 or 4 awful in the league. 

Parker has played 82 games in the last two years, including 31 last year after his 2nd major surgery.

Levine has played 71 games in the last two years, including 24 last year after his major surgery.

Even Markkanen only played 68 games last year.

It is still a team that is pretty thin in the backcourt. 

I am still having a hard time squinting and seeing them as a playoff team.  They need a year where every stays healthy AND the kids make pretty decent progress for it to happen.  The odds of that are?

If Carter starts, then you have Lopez, Portis, Holiday, Valentine coming off the bench, these guys have started a bunch of games last year, they will do fine coming off the bench. Hutchison and Blakeney are young, but they also have some potential. Outside of top 3, plus maybe Pacers, I dont see a team with definitely better bench in the East.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

i agree completely, but ....... They are mediocre to bad, but all the advanced numbers make them out to be top 3 or 4 awful in the league.  In the tanking era, you get several extra wins by just trying to win, and the East is pretty bad. I don't see how their chances of being a below average team, which is all you need to be to make the playoffs, instead of a horrible team, are 50 to 1 against. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

i agree completely, but ....... They are mediocre to bad, but all the advanced numbers make them out to be top 3 or 4 awful in the league.  In the tanking era, you get several extra wins by just trying to win, and the East is pretty bad. I don't see how their chances of being a below average team, which is all you need to be to make the playoffs, instead of a horrible team, are 50 to 1 against. 

There are more teams trying though for sure in the east. I think only NYK, Brooklyn and ATL are tanking. I think Orlando with Gordon/Isaac/Bamba could be sneaky good, and Charlotte, DET, CLE are definitely gunning for a playoff birth.

So yeah, I do think there is a better chance than 50-1, but that path will likely be from one of the top 7 teams having an injury/horrible year that leads to an unexpected tank. East is bad this year due to talent deficiency but isn't the joke it was last year.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:40 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Parker has played 82 games in the last two years, including 31 last year after his 2nd major surgery.

Levine has played 71 games in the last two years, including 24 last year after his major surgery.

Even Markkanen only played 68 games last year.

This is misleading because LaVine and Markkanen were purposely not played at times so that we would lose, especially late in the season for LaVine. Also a few of Markkanen's missed games were due to the birth of his child 

On 8/29/2018 at 10:43 AM, Dick Allen said:

ESPN's BPI gives the Bulls a 2% chance of making the playoffs. 

There has to be something i am missing here. I get they are not a 60 win team, but among the worst in the league is hard to believe. 

I don't have them as a playoff team. Wing defense is incredibly important and they might have the worst perimeter defense in the entire league. They should win between 25-35 though I think. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't have them as a playoff team. Wing defense is incredibly important and they might have the worst perimeter defense in the entire league. They should win between 25-35 though I think. 

I think the bulls path to playoffs is if teams like milwaukee/washington have an injury or really bad start and then players get "injured" to tank in the second half. As it is they are in a dogfight for the 8th seed.

• 2 weeks later...

So guys... Some NBA talk...

I've been away from NBA for a while so forgive me...

Why the fuck did LeBron go to LA? There's nothing there. He likely won't even make the playoffs in the west with that squad? What the hell happened to his boys joining him?

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So guys... Some NBA talk...

I've been away from NBA for a while so forgive me...

Why the fuck did LeBron go to LA? There's nothing there. He likely won't even make the playoffs in the west with that squad? What the hell happened to his boys joining him?

I really don't get it. It's a long-term play and they have some young pieces but going to a Western Conference team was him saying he doesn't care about rings anymore, because he sure as hell isn't winning one any time soon. I don't think they're any better than an 8 seed this year. West is just too stacked. 

• Like 1

Anybody ever watch these Hardwood Classic on the NBA Channel? I usually peruse which ones the have and most of the time if I'm sitting there working will turn on the old Bulls games. They've had a few Bulls games this month. Vs Phx in the 93 Finals. I'm watching a game with the Bulls and Knicks right now (march 28 , 95..Jordan scored 20pts in the 1st qtr...I think his 55 pt game). I watch these games and just think...wow...these dudes were men. I can't imagine some 20 year old these days coming out and battling Anthony Mason (RIP...way too young) and getting in his grill. But damn I miss these days....watching Jordan and Pippen play together and those Bulls teams were a blessing not many people can say they saw. In my lifetime I've had the privilege of seeing the two best athletes at their respective sports (IMO) in Michael Jordan and Walter Payton. I cherish these replays.

This game has old Illini Derek Harper when he was with the Knicks playing too. Damn he was good. Today's generation didn't get to see Jordan play...which is a shame. But when you see Michael AND Scotty play together....just....damn.

And I forgot how much I hated John Starks...

Edited by Wanne

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I really don't get it. It's a long-term play and they have some young pieces but going to a Western Conference team was him saying he doesn't care about rings anymore, because he sure as hell isn't winning one any time soon. I don't think they're any better than an 8 seed this year. West is just too stacked. 

It sets up life after NBA (in LA) and his kid will be playing high school ball there.

6 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

It sets up life after NBA (in LA) and his kid will be playing high school ball there.

This; They will still be a playoff team and they'll have ability to land a big free agent in a year, however, highly unlikely they win a title, but for LBJ, this is much more about his family and future basketball life than necessarily winning a bunch more rings. And if he does win a ring...it will further cement his legacy as no one is expecting him to win.  I think him not making championship in West is actually better for his legacy than losing more and more titles in the East (which is what would have likely happened had he stayed in the East...with  the possible exception of Philly).  

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This; They will still be a playoff team and they'll have ability to land a big free agent in a year, however, highly unlikely they win a title, but for LBJ, this is much more about his family and future basketball life than necessarily winning a bunch more rings. And if he does win a ring...it will further cement his legacy as no one is expecting him to win.  I think him not making championship in West is actually better for his legacy than losing more and more titles in the East (which is what would have likely happened had he stayed in the East...with  the possible exception of Philly).  

Debatable. I understand your point but I don't know if they're still a playoff team. For this season, I'd argue that the Warriors, Rockets, Jazz, Thunder, Pelicans, Blazers, Timberwolves, Nuggets, and maybe Mavericks have better rosters. The West is just a bloodbath and LeBron might not be enough for the Lakers to sneak in ahead of more complete teams

I guess I'm still amazed that nothing ending up working out in terms of Paul George and K. Leonard for LeBron and now he has (For the first time in so long) a predictable chance at NOT ending up in the finals.

Year after Year NBA hell was LeBron in the east and whatever else.