2018-2019 Official NBA thread

21 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Also, LOL at anyone who thinks this is Jimmy going hollywood/Jimmy is a headache/thank god he's not here. This is Jordan/Kobe level stuff. Why do we revere them but not Jimmy?

Mike would never demand a trade. He might demand they get rid of someone.  Of cours MJ didn’t think he needed as much help to win . 

I think the timing here is what is bothersome. If you aren’t going to make a demand onc e  the summer starts, why not play until the deadline. If they don’t trade him, is sitting  going to do him any good?  Is playing with a roster that is now disfunctional going to do him any good? Tai will stick with him, but it is like when Jimmy and Wade split off from the rest of the roster. Jimmy is good. But he isn’t Jordan. He isn’t Pippen, and the Bulls and MJ put up with a lot of Pippen BS .

and really thank God he isn’t here because he would be pulling this shit with the Bulls and even though most thought the Bulls should have received more for him last year, now they would get even less.

Edited by Dick Allen

If MJ played in 2018 I guarantee you he would have used all of his power to get whatever he wanted. Players demanding trades didn't happen in the 90's because players had little control back then. 

IMO what happened here is that Butler has no issues with Minnesota or Thibs, but with players (KAT and Wiggins) and their priorities. And I think management sees KAT as their ticket selling young star. I don't see Jimmy going Hollywood and acting entitled so much as him being the Alpha dog competitor who sees a bunch of physically gifted guys giving 60% effort to cash checks. He's not going to waste his prime playing hard for a shit team, so he wants to go somewhere else. 

39 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Also, LOL at anyone who thinks this is Jimmy going hollywood/Jimmy is a headache/thank god he's not here. This is Jordan/Kobe level stuff. Why do we revere them but not Jimmy?

Because they're better basketball players. 

5 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Sure, but they also never got traded (against their wishes) and were generally always surrounded with talent to help them win. 

That’s why to me the games are more interesting, but the league is less interesting these days. Once superteams came into play, it is hard to win it all without getting a couple of stud free agents. GS initially won without it, but they probably were one and done. If only championships are acceptable, most of the league is in trouble. 

1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

If MJ played in 2018 I guarantee you he would have used all of his power to get whatever he wanted. Players demanding trades didn't happen in the 90's because players had little control back then. 

IMO what happened here is that Butler has no issues with Minnesota or Thibs, but with players (KAT and Wiggins) and their priorities. And I think management sees KAT as their ticket selling young star. I don't see Jimmy going Hollywood and acting entitled so much as him being the Alpha dog competitor who sees a bunch of physically gifted guys giving 60% effort to cash checks. He's not going to waste his prime playing hard for a shit team, so he wants to go somewhere else. 

This, exactly this.  

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It's very weird:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24950981/jimmy-butler-heated-practice-timberwolves

What I don't get is Jimmy did this wrong. If he wanted out, right before the season starts when teams aren't planning to add a contract like his is just wrong IMO. Pop off either at the end of last season or at the deadline. 

When can the T-Wolves write a contract extension for him? Could they extend him up until the start of the season if they wanted to? Don't they have to extend Wiggins like right now if they're going to?

3 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Jordan could still have controlled anything he wanted to back then...regardless whether it was the 90's or not.

The thing most are missing here...Butler wasn't staying in Minnesota regardless of if they were decent or not.  He had a few destinations he wanted to be at (and LA was first and foremost)...but there was no way in hell he was ever going to re-up in Minnesota regardless how good Wiggins or KAT were.  He's just trying to get to his destination to make him eligible for a max.  He wasn't taking the Minny max...ever.

11 hours ago, Wanne said:

also...Bulls need to re-up Portis.  Not even a question really...

There is absolutely a question. He'll never be more than their #3 big. He will get paid like $12 million per year. The Bulls need to preserve cap space to make a run at max level free agents next summer. I doubt Portis get signed personally and I'd be very much in favor of trading him. 

The Wolves really have no choice but to take the best deal they can get for Butler. They are a 5-8 seed in the West with him and he'll be gone after the season regardless. He's trying to force his way to a destination that is appealing due to the max deals. He can sign with Minnesota for 5 years and $190. If he were traded to another club right now, he could sign the same deal with that team. If he signs elsewhere as a free agent, I'm pretty sure the max is like 4 years and $140 million. I'm so glad that he's not the Bulls problem anymore. They were never paying him $230 million and traded him at the absolute right time. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There is absolutely a question. He'll never be more than their #3 big. He will get paid like $12 million per year. The Bulls need to preserve cap space to make a run at max level free agents next summer. I doubt Portis get signed personally and I'd be very much in favor of trading him. 

and who would those max level FA be that would be willing to come to Chicago?   Sorry...chances of that are probably slim and none. Of course that's just my 2¢.  Portis is a very valuable piece...and honestly 12M would be very fair...and moveable at some point down the road.

2 minutes ago, Wanne said:

and who would those max level FA be that would be willing to come to Chicago?   Sorry...chances of that are probably slim and none. Of course that's just my 2¢.  Portis is a very valuable piece...and honestly 12M would be very fair...and moveable at some point down the road.

No idea who they would be. They'll never win a title without hitting on high level free agents though. Forking over decent starter money for high level bench guys when you've prioritized the frontcourt with your two most recent 1st rounders doesn't make sense to me though. This team needs wing players. They might have the worst perimeter defense in the entire NBA this season. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

So Parker is now our 3rd string PF and it took 3 preseason games for Fred to find out what garpax should have already known that he is not a 3.

They should probably start Parker at the 4 in Lauri's absence. Portis is a valuable bench piece. I'd start Carter and just bring Lopez off the bench but it probably doesn't matter this year anyway. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Wolves really have no choice but to take the best deal they can get for Butler. They are a 5-8 seed in the West with him and he'll be gone after the season regardless. He's trying to force his way to a destination that is appealing due to the max deals. He can sign with Minnesota for 5 years and $190. If he were traded to another club right now, he could sign the same deal with that team. If he signs elsewhere as a free agent, I'm pretty sure the max is like 4 years and $140 million. I'm so glad that he's not the Bulls problem anymore. They were never paying him $230 million and traded him at the absolute right time. 

Sadly a team that could use him more than anyone else is the Bulls.  They need that defender and intensity to teach the kids how to play the game.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sadly a team that could use him more than anyone else is the Bulls.  They need that defender and intensity to teach the kids how to play the game.

He isn't good at teaching. He's good at b****ing. He did it with Wade, calling out his teammates. He's a great player, but the Bulls weren't going to win anything with him. Minnesota isn't going to win anything with him, and most likely his next team won't win anything with him. At this point in his career, there is nothing to suggest he makes his teammates better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He isn't good at teaching. He's good at b****ing. He did it with Wade, calling out his teammates. He's a great player, but the Bulls weren't going to win anything with him. Minnesota isn't going to win anything with him, and most likely his next team won't win anything with him. At this point in his career, there is nothing to suggest he makes his teammates better.

The on the court stats with Butler were pretty staggering, in terms of how much better the Wolves were with him vs. without him. I don't believe that is purely on Butler's individual play, but also his ability to make others better.  I think you have to understand how Jimmy operates. He was someone who made himself great and with that, I think he genuinely believes players can make themselves great, if they work, so he is disgusted when guys don't put in the work.  He wants nothing to do with it. He also wants to be pushed because he thinks it makes him and others better and sometimes what he says is about him wanting to get pushed more.

Interesting interview with Nichols which confirmed my speculation...that the request didn't just emerge this year and dated all the way back to last year. Whether you believe the comments from the interview or not is a whole separate story...but I think Thibbs thought time would heal all wounds and that ignoring it would make things better...but it didn't.  

I would love him on the Bulls...I'll trade Portis and Parker for him and than sign him to an extension and make a run at Kyrie or someone else in the off-season.  Carter Jr, Mark, Buckets, Lavine, and Kryie with Dunn coming off the bench.  :)

Note: Wolves aren't trading him to Chicago and Bulls aren't trading for him.  

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The on the court stats with Butler were pretty staggering, in terms of how much better the Wolves were with him vs. without him. I don't believe that is purely on Butler's individual play, but also his ability to make others better.  I think you have to understand how Jimmy operates. He was someone who made himself great and with that, I think he genuinely believes players can make themselves great, if they work, so he is disgusted when guys don't put in the work.  He wants nothing to do with it. He also wants to be pushed because he thinks it makes him and others better and sometimes what he says is about him wanting to get pushed more.

Interesting interview with Nichols which confirmed my speculation...that the request didn't just emerge this year and dated all the way back to last year. Whether you believe the comments from the interview or not is a whole separate story...but I think Thibbs thought time would heal all wounds and that ignoring it would make things better...but it didn't.  

I was watching a round table on CSN last night where no one had a horse in the race, and all of them dealt with Jimmy since he was drafted. Every single one of them mentioned how he has changed, and what a pain in the ass he is now. That all he is doing now in an apparent effort to get traded quicker is doing nothing to help, and teams will question whether to give him the max. What he did at the end with the Bulls, and what he is doing now, is not being a good teammate. If he has issues with work ethic etc. he needs to bring that up privately, and realize not everyone is wired the same way.

He also isn't making Thibs flinch. He thought it was their best practice yesterday, and is like Lloyd Christmas when it comes to thinking there's a chance.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They should probably start Parker at the 4 in Lauri's absence. Portis is a valuable bench piece. I'd start Carter and just bring Lopez off the bench but it probably doesn't matter this year anyway. 

If he starts at 4 Carter Jr needs to be t 5. The reason parker was benched was because Parker/Lopez was so incredibly slow it caused the awful defense in first four games.

When Markannen gets back though, you then have Portis as a #3 PF, unless you try him again as a small C where he has not shown to really handle well. Markannen at 5 should be tried more, but comes at cost of WCJ. 

I like parker as a person, but it's really unlikely this contract ends up paying off, and I'd rather the team have built an identity this year. Hard to do with such a strange fit.

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Totally agree with this. Him and wade were garbage with the youth, rondo was great. Its one of the reasons I think Rondo will be great in LA this year, not as a player of course, but as a glue guy to support ball/ingram when lbj gets antsy.

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was watching a round table on CSN last night where no one had a horse in the race, and all of them dealt with Jimmy since he was drafted. Every single one of them mentioned how he has changed, and what a pain in the ass he is now.

Ever since he got in with the Marky Mark crowd and everybody telling him how great he is pretty much went to his head.  Great talent...but yes....complete pain in the ass now.