2018-2019 Official NBA thread

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was watching a round table on CSN last night where no one had a horse in the race, and all of them dealt with Jimmy since he was drafted. Every single one of them mentioned how he has changed, and what a pain in the ass he is now. That all he is doing now in an apparent effort to get traded quicker is doing nothing to help, and teams will question whether to give him the max. What he did at the end with the Bulls, and what he is doing now, is not being a good teammate. If he has issues with work ethic etc. he needs to bring that up privately, and realize not everyone is wired the same way.

He also isn't making Thibs flinch. He thought it was their best practice yesterday, and is like Lloyd Christmas when it comes to thinking there's a chance.

Oh, I agree, I think Thibs heard Jimmy's press conference and heard..."your telling me their's a chance".  

48 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was watching a round table on CSN last night where no one had a horse in the race, and all of them dealt with Jimmy since he was drafted. Every single one of them mentioned how he has changed, and what a pain in the ass he is now. That all he is doing now in an apparent effort to get traded quicker is doing nothing to help, and teams will question whether to give him the max. What he did at the end with the Bulls, and what he is doing now, is not being a good teammate. If he has issues with work ethic etc. he needs to bring that up privately, and realize not everyone is wired the same way.

He also isn't making Thibs flinch. He thought it was their best practice yesterday, and is like Lloyd Christmas when it comes to thinking there's a chance.

I am not saying he's handling this properly. I think he needs to have someone get in his head as there is a much better approach/tact. That said, sometimes it helps to understand where others are coming from in those situations and I can see things from Jimmy's shoes, albeit, if I were in those shoes I would handle it much differently.  

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

If he starts at 4 Carter Jr needs to be t 5. The reason parker was benched was because Parker/Lopez was so incredibly slow it caused the awful defense in first four games.

When Markannen gets back though, you then have Portis as a #3 PF, unless you try him again as a small C where he has not shown to really handle well. Markannen at 5 should be tried more, but comes at cost of WCJ. 

I like parker as a person, but it's really unlikely this contract ends up paying off, and I'd rather the team have built an identity this year. Hard to do with such a strange fit.

I seriously wonder what people's views of Portis would be if he was a higher pick. The dude can flat out score.  I got to hand it to the Bulls, him, etc on his overall development. He's a weapon. Prefer him off the bench because I don't know how well his game plays over a full game vs. more limited spurts. Plus, defensively he has certain challenges, but he's a pretty darn dynamic scorer. His advanced metrics were pretty solid too. PER was on the up-tick and solid win-shares. Not sure what he does with more minutes, but he turned into a pretty good 1st round pick.   

Of course pretty good doesn't mean squat without elite players.  So freaking hard to find those "elite" guys.    

I watched a good chunk of last night's game. Lavine looks different this year (in a good way). Much more efficient scorer and much better movement without the ball.  Plus he's finishing in the paint (something he was off with last year).  Looks freaking explosive.  He's going to have a massive year scoring the basketball.  Hard to judge the defensive improvement this early in the season and I'll also warn all of this judgement is off a very small sample size.  

You have to hope the Bulls can use Parker's expiring contract during the season to facilitate a move for the long-term. I.e., Parker + a young piece or two for a very good player. Parker will not be on the Bulls long-term. I could be wrong, but you can just see he isn't a LT fit (unless they move other parts).  

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

You have to hope the Bulls can use Parker's expiring contract during the season to facilitate a move for the long-term. I.e., Parker + a young piece or two for a very good player. Parker will not be on the Bulls long-term. I could be wrong, but you can just see he isn't a LT fit (unless they move other parts).  

If we did this with Parker I would be elated. I haven't seen the front office do anything this creative as of yet to give me the impression that was what they were thinking with Jabari.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I seriously wonder what people's views of Portis would be if he was a higher pick. The dude can flat out score.  I got to hand it to the Bulls, him, etc on his overall development. He's a weapon. Prefer him off the bench because I don't know how well his game plays over a full game vs. more limited spurts. Plus, defensively he has certain challenges, but he's a pretty darn dynamic scorer. His advanced metrics were pretty solid too. PER was on the up-tick and solid win-shares. Not sure what he does with more minutes, but he turned into a pretty good 1st round pick.   

Of course pretty good doesn't mean squat without elite players.  So freaking hard to find those "elite" guys.    

I like Portis but I wouldn't re-sign him and I think he is someone who will get exploited the more minutes he plays.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

That's putting it mildly.  More accurately he puts no effort in on the defensive end.  He's Toni Kukoc back there.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's putting it mildly.  More accurately he puts no effort in on the defensive end.  He's Toni Kukoc back there.

I don't think Portis is as bad as everyone else seems to say he is. But I don't have a good gauge since he hasn't started a lot. In the old NBA, I'd say Portis would get exposed a lot as he isn't strong enough to play down low on the block but he has the skill set to be a solid switch / pick and roll defender, imo.  

Will be interesting to see how the Bulls d evolves over time to the new defensive strategy they will be applying. My guess is they will have pretty severe growing pains, but long term, they have some of the athletes that should be good fits for the style/system.  They also are extremely young and as I've said many times over...young teams (even with good defensive minded young players) tend to be a hot mess on defense.  

29 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think Portis is as bad as everyone else seems to say he is. But I don't have a good gauge since he hasn't started a lot. In the old NBA, I'd say Portis would get exposed a lot as he isn't strong enough to play down low on the block but he has the skill set to be a solid switch / pick and roll defender, imo.  

Will be interesting to see how the Bulls d evolves over time to the new defensive strategy they will be applying. My guess is they will have pretty severe growing pains, but long term, they have some of the athletes that should be good fits for the style/system.  They also are extremely young and as I've said many times over...young teams (even with good defensive minded young players) tend to be a hot mess on defense.  

I don't think he's as bad as people are saying either.  Plus...what's the alternative?...let him walk for nothing?  See what bones you can get in a trade midseason.  He's still relatively young...and you can't teach size...or the fact he's drilling 3s from the outside which opens up a lot not just for him but the O. 

Letting him walk for nothing would be preferable to me than signing him while underneath the salary cap long-term. I'd love him on a mid-level exception. I"m not wasting cap space on a bench player before we know our core.

51 minutes ago, bmags said:

Letting him walk for nothing would be preferable to me than signing him while underneath the salary cap long-term. I'd love him on a mid-level exception. I"m not wasting cap space on a bench player before we know our core.

you don't consider him core? 😳

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Guys that come off the bench on a team that won 25 games are not core.

Sorry...disagree.  A young 23 year old talented big man that can shoot...and hits the glass well...and you say he's not a core player?!?  wow.    If he's possibly starting now (liked that look last night...but know it won't last)...but if he's 6th man off the bench...that's not core?    It'd be idiotic to let him walk for nothing.  Doubt that happens tho.

1 hour ago, Wanne said:

Sorry...disagree.  A young 23 year old talented big man that can shoot...and hits the glass well...and you say he's not a core player?!?  wow.    If he's possibly starting now (liked that look last night...but know it won't last)...but if he's 6th man off the bench...that's not core?    It'd be idiotic to let him walk for nothing.  Doubt that happens tho.

That was the logic that left us paying LaVine...so we'll see soon how good that logic is. 

Difference there is LaVine is at least our best option to be starting at SG for the next 4 years. Portis was our 3rd best power forward last year (including Mirotic) and we just drafted Wendell to play center.

I'm all for Bobby Portis playing 24 minutes a night off the bench for the next 5 years as our primary backup 4/5, but not at the price he'll likely require. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Difference there is LaVine is at least our best option to be starting at SG for the next 4 years. Portis was our 3rd best power forward last year (including Mirotic) and we just drafted Wendell to play center.

I'm all for Bobby Portis playing 24 minutes a night off the bench for the next 5 years as our primary backup 4/5, but not at the price he'll likely require. 

12M...I'll gladly pay him that.   You guys keep referring to last year...who gives a crap about last year...new season.  Say Portis has  a monster season...vying for 6th Man of the Year...with spot starts.  Geezus...14-6 and you guys b**** about him lol...tough crowd.  I get the b****ing about Parker...he's pretty much an overpaid cupcake.  You guys keep lamenting Lauri as the starting 4...ok.  But the guy has 3 skills too and is a matchup nightmare.  Sometimes you go with with Lauri, Portis and Carter.  Think you guys are vastly underestimating how valuable Portis is.  Carp on Portis...but no mention of stiffs Asik and Felicio on the roster lol...

Again...not sure what FAs you guys think are going to be streaming in here.  Chances of an impact FA coming to Chicago are...I'm thinking slim and slimmer.   If you have to pay Portis 12M season...I think that's  fair honestly.  It ain't 20M is it?

Edited by Wanne

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, bmags said:

Totally agree with this. Him and wade were garbage with the youth, rondo was great. Its one of the reasons I think Rondo will be great in LA this year, not as a player of course, but as a glue guy to support ball/ingram when lbj gets antsy.

Hoiberg looked like he was in completely over his head but it really just turns out that he had Butler and Wade sandbagging him. Once he was rid of the burden of them he looked like he knew what he was doing.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

538 pegs the Bulls with 27 wins this year, 4th worst in the NBA.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nba-predictions/

I would be surprised if hawks are better than bulls. Other than that their ranking of the east feels right. I think Orlando/DET are two possible surprise teams. I don't think much of DET longterm, but I like Casey and they have vets that can take care of the trash on most nights.