2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Portis deadline passes with no extension.  😠

not sure what that means now...he'll be a RFA with a qualifying offer?  Hopefully they get something done.  So they're going to sit back and let the market dictate...

12 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Portis deadline passes with no extension.  😠

not sure what that means now...he'll be a RFA with a qualifying offer?  Hopefully they get something done.  So they're going to sit back and let the market dictate...

That's probably not the worst thing in the world, it does leave them able to use cap space next offseason if they could get someone to take it.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:18 PM, Balta1701 said:

That's probably not the worst thing in the world, it does leave them able to use cap space next offseason if they could get someone to take it.

Guys playing for money usually is a good thing. Plus the added benefit of an upgrade next offseason if available.  The only issue being he could try to be a stat padder to get paid. But it's not like they are playing for a title.

Today I began by looking at the NBA schedule seeing if I could get into some NBA...

So we have these games available at the 7pm EST start:

Heat @ Magic

Brooklyn @ DET

Memphis @ pacers

Milwaukee @ Charlotte

And I sit here and say, wow, this kinda sucks.

The NBA has only two teams that are capable.. HOU and GSW. Every other team starts the year out with no hope. Lol. It's just a joke, really. 

In the east, there's Boston and Philly. Boston has a reasonable chance at being team number 3, but I'll have to see it first. 

4 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Today I began by looking at the NBA schedule seeing if I could get into some NBA...

So we have these games available at the 7pm EST start:

Heat @ Magic

Brooklyn @ DET

Memphis @ pacers

Milwaukee @ Charlotte

And I sit here and say, wow, this kinda sucks.

The NBA has only two teams that are capable.. HOU and GSW. Every other team starts the year out with no hope. Lol. It's just a joke, really. 

In the east, there's Boston and Philly. Boston has a reasonable chance at being team number 3, but I'll have to see it first. 

Hear ya.  NBA has gotten to a unbearable for the most part anymore.  I'm trying to force myself to watch the Suns right now...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  It's like watching a pickup game at the park.  Bring on college hoops!!!!

That is a particularly bad lineup of games, but you guys are too hung up on the only thing that matters is who wins the championship.

I'm pretty excited to see Orlando this year and whether Isaac's summer play was for real.

Milwaukee with Budenholzer could be dynamic, and jump into the top echelon. Pacers and heat are fine fodder of teams. They play hard, have fun players on both and are tough outs. Brooklyn and Memphis aare the only truly bad teams there, and even then maybe they rebound and JJJ will be good.

10 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Is it Lebron’s fault for building all his Frankenstein teams?  The Celtics?

This has been happening since the 90s.   Clyde, Pippen and Barkley all went to houston to try and win a title with Hakeem

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

This has been happening since the 90s.   Clyde, Pippen and Barkley all went to houston to try and win a title with Hakeem

It's been mentioned a lot, but NBA is starting to resemble a lot of the same behavior as the EPL and prominent soccer leagues.

People will say this is bad, but those leagues are also very popular. 

It's definitely different, as parody will obviously be a difficult goal for NBA to try and drive on.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

That is a particularly bad lineup of games, but you guys are too hung up on the only thing that matters is who wins the championship.

I'm pretty excited to see Orlando this year and whether Isaac's summer play was for real.

Milwaukee with Budenholzer could be dynamic, and jump into the top echelon. Pacers and heat are fine fodder of teams. They play hard, have fun players on both and are tough outs. Brooklyn and Memphis aare the only truly bad teams there, and even then maybe they rebound and JJJ will be good.

Definitely.  I picked up a partial season ticket package for the Nuggets this year.  Yeah, they aren't going to win a title, but they are just a really fun roster to watch.

1 hour ago, illinilaw08 said:

Definitely.  I picked up a partial season ticket package for the Nuggets this year.  Yeah, they aren't going to win a title, but they are just a really fun roster to watch.

They're probably a playoff team though. That offense is legit. Between Jokic, Murray, Harris, Barton, and Millsap, they have 5 guys who have the ability to be efficient 20 PPG scorers on less crowded teams. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

They're probably a playoff team though. That offense is legit. Between Jokic, Murray, Harris, Barton, and Millsap, they have 5 guys who have the ability to be efficient 20 PPG scorers on less crowded teams. 

Definitely should be a playoff team this year - they've missed by a single game each of the last two.  Also added IT (who can definitely carry bench units when he gets healthy) and Porter (really interesting potential piece long term once he gets healthy).

Point in all this being that the NBA has some really, really fun teams outside of Golden State and Houston.  Yeah, they might not be title contenders, but they play some entertaining basketball anyway.

4 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Definitely should be a playoff team this year - they've missed by a single game each of the last two.  Also added IT (who can definitely carry bench units when he gets healthy) and Porter (really interesting potential piece long term once he gets healthy).

Point in all this being that the NBA has some really, really fun teams outside of Golden State and Houston.  Yeah, they might not be title contenders, but they play some entertaining basketball anyway.

Yeah, given that we basically know who the champion is already, my goal is to be entertained. Lots of young talented teams like Denver that should at least be fun to watch. 

I guess what I mean is...

Every year the MLB season starts and you feel as tho every single team (sans Baltimore :p) has a legit chance. I mean, sure there are a handful of bottom feeders, this year we had teams like KC/DET/CHW/BAL that were pretty awful. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple NL teams maybe, but beyond that -- every single team starts the year out looking to put a playoff contender on the field and spark fire and win the series. That's friggin' cool. 

There's teams like NYY/BOS/HOU/LAD/CHC/CLE that have been consistent, but there's so much talent in teams like PHI/ATL/LAA/OAK/TBR etc. that every team has a chance. I even was thinking playoffs after the White Sox first 5 or so games this year (haha) and I'm already thinking of ways they can make the playoffs in 2019. 

In the NBA this doesn't exist and it makes it miserable to watch knowing that there is no hope. There is GSW/HOU/BOS/PHI as the main culprits who actually have a chance and PHI only because the east is so weak. Guess you could add TOR for that very reason as well. 

DEN/UTAH are cool teams and may be my favorite teams to observe this year and follow since they have such fun and complete squads, but when it comes down to it - do they really have a chance? As history has shown, no. 

I'm not sure how that problem is solved, but it sure makes NBA feel like a "toy" league in comparison to the MLB where competitive spirit lives on strongly. I love fantasy basketball, but the actual NBA I can do without... 

I adore++++ fantasy baseball and I actually really like the game that is MLB. I'll be an MLB fan until the day I die (most likely), but I've already grown out of the NBA (which used to be my number one sport by far).