2018-2019 Official NBA thread

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

They have a 19 year old trying to cover everyones mistakes and he's really not doing that bad of a job. He definitely needs some more muscle though.

Hutch really did look fine, especially on doncic, it would be very helpful if he could be a rotation player.

Yeah Im hoping that he bulks up as he ages, but part of me thinks hes got a Chris Bosh frame. 

26 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Yeah the roster construction isnt that great right now. The other problem is that the defense is just horrible. Several times yesterday guys just ran to double for no reason, which then led to open shots. Its crazy but it seems like WCJ is basically the defensive anchor. Its a lot to pin on a 19 year old, but the Bulls need to start trusting him 1 on 1 on defense because the rest of the team just doesnt have the capability to switch well.

The good news is that Lavine is playing better than anyone could have imagined. A starting line up of WJC/Lauri/Lavine/Dunn actually looks like a place to start. They need a SF badly, whether its by tank or FA.

Most importantly, Hoiberg needs to give WCJ 30+ minutes a night. There is no reason not to. 

Roster construction sucks. They have too many players who need the ball. 

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

They have a 19 year old trying to cover everyones mistakes and he's really not doing that bad of a job. He definitely needs some more muscle though.

Hutch really did look fine, especially on doncic, it would be very helpful if he could be a rotation player.

Technically they wouldn't have a 19 year old trying to cover everyone's mistakes if Lauri was around. Lauri isn't a stellar defender, but he's at least solid and this was also the first game Dunn was back and he's a good defender. The problem is when Lauri is out, whether it is Portis or Parker, you are replacing a solid defender with a porous one and when Dunn was out, you were taking an above average defender and replacing him with Payne (who is a big step down).  

The bright side is, I still like the talent of Lavine, Dunn, Lauri, and Carter and all of them are actually nice pieces with each other. Portis can't start with that group though and while I think he's a valuable player, he's best served off the bench (if the Bulls are going to win).  Parker certainly showed that he can score the ball but a lot of his points were what I'd call old school "iso" and were detrimental to the team movement. He can score though. A nice pick and Durant/Kwahi would be great this offseason ;)

On another aside, I'm slightly worried that Hoiberg will lose this team quickly (due to all the losing). I don't want "chemistry" and "off the court" issues plaguing a young team that needs good veterans, role models, and stability to enhance their development.  

When did that happen? During the game? The tank is on!  

I still say the best thing for this season is probably Lavine crushing it, MCJ showing progress, and Lauri/Dunn playing well when they come back, only for their overall record to be impacted by general youth and inconsistent defense, largely from Parker/Portis and others, who are ultimately moved (leveraging the expiring contract of Parker) either to a contender for assets (those guys would help any contenders bench but are probably not building blocks) and/or combined with another piece for a high end player demanding a trade (Parker, Portis plus a draft pick or Dunn or something for a high end player demanding out) and than go all in on adding another free agent in the off-season.  

Again...just talking out loud.  

1 minute ago, Tony said:

With the new lottery rules, they just need to be in the bottom 3 of worst records. Seems doable. 

Technically, them winning late probably isn't that big of a deal cause  it is more about a little "luck" than anything else. I presume they won't be bottom 3 bad, but they will likely be bad enough that with the adjusted odds they can "try" to contend and even win some games without drastically shifting their odds. I figure they'll be somewhere between 5-10 (in terms of worst teams) but would have better odds than prior years when it comes to "moving up"...at least I think they would.  Also more "downside" risk.  

I guess it happened in 2nd quarter but he played through it. Guess our medical staff is top notch.

I get that tank is good but cam payne is one of the most offensive basketball players i've ever watched. This sucks.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess it happened in 2nd quarter but he played through it. Guess our medical staff is top notch.

I get that tank is good but cam payne is one of the most offensive basketball players i've ever watched. This sucks.

I'm legitimately bummed out, because I looked forward to watching Lavine, Dunn, Lauri, and MCJ developing. I don't have a problem putting blinders on when watching basketball (as long as I don't have to do it for too many years).  They are going to have a tough time winning games with their lack of depth at PG.  

Trae Young might be better than predicted.  Seems to be holding his own.  We’ll see when he faces better teams that the Cavs.  If he can shoot at least 37.5% from 3, he’ll be off to a good start. Can he not wear down the second half of the season?   He was constantly double and triple teamed at OU after the sensational start.

Doncic and Joe Ingles have been fun watches in the early going.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

On another aside, I'm slightly worried that Hoiberg will lose this team quickly (due to all the losing). I don't want "chemistry" and "off the court" issues plaguing a young team that needs good veterans, role models, and stability to enhance their development.  

Last year was downright toxic with all the veterans sandbagging the team. It wasn't obvious to me at the time but it definitely is now. *looks in the general direction of Jimmy Butler*

43 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Last year was downright toxic with all the veterans sandbagging the team. It wasn't obvious to me at the time but it definitely is now. *looks in the general direction of Jimmy Butler*

Uh, do you mean 2 years ago or are you aiming this at someone like Mirotic?

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

Yes. 2018 went by for me really fast, lol

I'm trying not to remember the last few basketball seasons either. 2016-2017 was Butler trade, 2017-2018 was Portis breaking Mirotic's face. It all blends together when the Warriors rigged it all anyway.

• Like 2