2018-2019 Official NBA thread

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The amount of injuries that both the Sox and Bulls are going through this year makes me wonder if Lip isn't right about complacency and groupthink within the training and nutrition groups. Maybe they need to bring in a consultant or something and do something a little different. 

How are any of the Bulls injuries on the Bulls training staff?

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How are any of the Bulls injuries on the Bulls training staff?

They probably aren't, a lot of the injuries on both teams were probably freak occurrences, but you can't deny the commonality of both teams having the same ownership group. Also, the Bulls medical team has had a poor reputation for a while. The Sox medical team has been quite the opposite. It is just weird that so many key players are getting hurt on both teams with a Reinsdorf as chairman. At the same time, when your family is involved with two sports teams and both get ravaged by injuries to key players, you have to look in the mirror a bit. I don't really think there is much they could have done, but they have to ask themselves if there was anything they could have done differently. It is becoming a huge red flag. I'm not necessarily saying to change anything, but just to give it a look. What can it hurt? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, bmags said:

I kinda see it differently. He works his butt off making the offense work for everyone else, and then when he gets the ball everyone just stops moving and expects him to work a post move. He needs more variety of touches. His motor is great. I'm not worried at all. He'd probably be better served running some time with Arcidiacano.

He seems a little scared with the ball with me. You see it at the free throw line too. He just doesn't seem very confident in his shot right now 

23 hours ago, bmags said:

For me, I can't get into this stuff until i have an idea of actual placement in lotto. Season is too long and it just doesn't feel like we'll be at good odds at all. I think bulls still could be something like 8-9 seed.

Really? There is no chance. The 8th seed will win like 40 games, man. This Bulls team might not win 30. This is one of the very worst teams in the NBA. Especially without Dunn, Portis and Markkanen. 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Really? There is no chance. The 8th seed will win like 40 games, man. This Bulls team might not win 30. This is one of the very worst teams in the NBA. Especially without Dunn, Portis and Markkanen. 

This.  The Bulls needed literally everything to go right for them to have a chance to sneak into the playoffs.  They are missing 4 members of their rotation for extended periods of time as of now.

This team is going no where but to the lottery.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This.  The Bulls needed literally everything to go right for them to have a chance to sneak into the playoffs.  They are missing 4 members of their rotation for extended periods of time as of now.

This team is going no where but to the lottery.

They were headed to the lottery with their full compliment of players. They are headed for the top 5 of the lottery now. And that's fantastic for the franchise. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, SoxAce said:

I read earlier that the Timberwolves don't want to do this trade, and by "Timberwolves" that pretty much means Thibodeau because ownership wants him moved.

I really wonder if everyone's on the same page about what Thibodeau is now? What he did in Chicago is, at best, a mirage, and there's plenty of evidence for that now. All he was doing was playing his starters for the entire game to win regular season games and burn his guys out killing their careers while his "defensive system" spread throughout the entire NBA only to be rendered obsolete a couple years later.

His stubbornness pushed him to be a very good coach for a bit and then didn't allow him to adapt and continue to be a good coach while getting better.  The game has passed him by immensely.  Must suck going from an innovator to stuck in your obsolete ways in a fairly short period of time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

His stubbornness pushed him to be a very good coach for a bit and then didn't allow him to adapt and continue to be a good coach while getting better.  The game has passed him by immensely.  Must suck going from an innovator to stuck in your obsolete ways in a fairly short period of time.

He had the wolves as the 3 seed in a brutal western conference as of last March. Then Jimmy got hurt. Game hasnt passed him by as a coach at all, but hes not really suited to be a GM.

The NBA is laughable at how there is literally zero defense being played this year. Should they just remove the 3 point line? Seriously though, I recognize small sample size, but how much is scoring up this season vs. last (massively or am I just watching too many Bulls games haha).  

That said, a team that was already going to be lousy (especially defensively) is really going to be bad when you take 3 of your 4 best players and have them miss extended stretches (Lauri / Dunn / Portis).  The bright side is, Lavine is looking like the real deal and a legit #2/#3 option on a contender. The downside is, you have to hope you can keep the chemistry and development positive despite the toxcity of what will be lots and lots of losses.  Need to keep that "arrow" moving forward despite losing a lot of games and that is going to be tough. 

Lavine could quickly turn into a massive "chucker", especially now with literally the entire starting lineup (sans him) basically out. 

I don't think it's the defenses fault, I think it's a combination of more and more teams playing the optimal way offensively, teams like the bulls that decided they should go all in to find an average offense by putting atrocious defensive fits together, and tankers.

There are no more byron scotts in the league. There are no more weird teams that feast on mid-range jumpers. Some defenses are good, the bulls are not. And it's not all Fred. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't think it's the defenses fault, I think it's a combination of more and more teams playing the optimal way offensively, teams like the bulls that decided they should go all in to find an average offense by putting atrocious defensive fits together, and tankers.

There are no more byron scotts in the league. There are no more weird teams that feast on mid-range jumpers. Some defenses are good, the bulls are not. And it's not all Fred. 

Klay Thompson was left alone at least 20 times, and they were only going to him. The Bulls were the Washington Generals last night. It was pathetic.