2018-2019 Official NBA thread

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Last night was pretty terrible. Bulls have some talented offense-only players, but they are just iso players that don’t even try to run the offense and are just black holes. This isn’t even about Lavine.

The Bulls need to acquire Lonzo and/or Ingram from the Lakers in an effort to facilitate a 3 team deal with another team for a star.  Lonzo (Lavar aside) would be a great fit for Hoiball.  By the way, I don't like Brandon Ingram but he's talented and worth taking a chance on.  

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The other issue is Lavine is already saying he's fatigued. 

When you watch him, he's being asked to do a lot. I mean Ryan A. has been a good story (UDA and all) but having to rely so much with no point guard has been really hard on Lavine.  Not many good weapons around him either. Portis & Laurie are both good scorers and obviously Dunn is a much better PG than any of these other guys (even if he isn't a great distributor).  This team is extremely short on talent and has a lot of jumbled pieces.

Lavine is also playing a lot of minutes (isn't he 3rd in the NBA this season or something)?  

45 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

So, anyone down to try and get Fultz on the cheap?

For the Bulls? I'd say no. Seems like a total headcase who wouldn't accept coming off the bench (which is what happened in Philly, where he magically became severely injured soon after a demotion). No way I'd want to start him over Dunn/LaVine even if it would help the tank. 

25 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I have said this before but end of game plays have been garbage.

They have been but this was all on Lavine. Carter came up to the top of the key to give him a pick and he waved it off and instead jacked a contested three

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I have said this before but end of game plays have been garbage.

A large part of the problem has been Forman putting a collection of some of the worst basketball IQ players in history together.

That said, part of Hoiberg's job is to teach them.

The idea that the bulls "gave fred his team" this year was nuts at the time but even crazier now. It looks better with Dunn, but the guard situation was always awful and the idea that Fred's offense will take off with a collection of 7-8 ball dominant offensive mid range shooters with no defensive skills is questionable.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

They have been but this was all on Lavine. Carter came up to the top of the key to give him a pick and he waved it off and instead jacked a contested three

That was pretty brutal. He seems to really struggle right at the end of games. Hopefully he will learn something. If he ever figures to close out games, he will really be a player.

Its very hard for me to evaluate the Bulls with the mess of a roster they have (with a lot of that driven by injuries to 3 guys who were going to play heavy minutes...plus Valentine who was going to be a key piece off the bench).  I'll hold any judgement until we at least get Lauri / Dunn back and see how those two emerge as the season goes. One plus is Ryan A. is looking like a solid bench/role player.

And on Lavine....I think he is struggling with the fact that the Bulls have so few offensive pieces on the current roster and with teams doubling like crazy and just getting that much attention (especially in late game situations), that he just doesn't know how to deal with that yet. Hopefully better talent helps as does just more experience dealing with these situations. It will also be important for the coaches to use these moments as teaching moments to continue his development. 

I've never believed the Bulls have a talent development issue and that includes during the Hoiberg era.  

25 minutes ago, Brian said:

Last night must've given Gage another Arcidiacoboner 😁

I enjoy how he plays. A good find and someone nice to have come off the bench, who can bring energy, etc.  He doesn't have the athleticism to start in this league, albeit his shot has really taken strides. That said, I'm not watching as much of the games as I usually do (I usually work and/or read while watching the Bulls games but lately my patience has been shorter). I've told myself I can't watch too much as I don't want to get too irritated and need to wait until the guys come back in the next week or two. 

I'm fired up to watch Lauri get back out there in a week. Good timing too cause things always slow down a bit more around the holidays (in terms of work schedule/time off, etc).  

Note: Being a west coaster, everything I watch is on record and late. I haven't been as good at not checking scores lately, which makes it hard too. Albeit Bulls have played well the last couple of games.