2018-2019 Official NBA thread

It's so great that the Bulls have finally positioned themselves to be good in a few seasons with some young assets and a chance at grabbing one of the 2-3 franchise guys in this draft, but are still stuck with the most dysfunctional front office in the NBA, and possibly all of sports. 

And now we have a meathead Popovich disciple as our coach (love Pop but he's now the old man screaming get off my lawn as the Warriors usher in a new era of basketball). Fucking sprints? A full practice right after a back to back and three games in four nights? Just to what, prove he's a hardass and won't take lackluster effort? GMAB.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

The Bulls have to count their lucky stars the Bears are good this year and have the attention of the Chicago media. 

This should probably be an even bigger story, and how big of a mess GarPax have actually created. 

Even if the Bears were terrible I still don't think anyone would care. The team is incredibly young and decimated by injuries. Everyone understands they're in the middle of a rebuild and tanking/losing is the best way to get one of the few top guys in this year's draft. That's why firing Hoiberg made no sense to begin with. They were bad, expected to be bad and no one, including fans and the media, cared. GarPax had a hallpass to be awful this year and they decided to embarrass themselves (yet again) instead.

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is MUCH bigger than injures and being young. The players were a text message away from not showing up to practice and staging a team mutiny against their new coach, a coach that was put in by a hapless team GM that the city already hates. 

Yes...this.  I agree with everything you said.  I literally thought I might wake up on Sunday to the Bulls hiring another new coach. Maybe they can turn this all into a positive...who knows...but man, it is not good to have that sort of toxicity around a young team.  

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is MUCH bigger than injures and being young. The players were a text message away from not showing up to practice and staging a team mutiny against their new coach, a coach that was put in by a hapless team GM that the city already hates. 

I also think it concerns me that it almost got to that extent (from the players perspective). I was glad to here Lauri was like, STFU, get here (as was Lopez). I'm guessing Lavine was like...I'm not showing up.  

Boylen comes off horribly in these interviews. Like that guy in the Princess Bride trying to pick the right poison cup.

"You see, I knew that if I told you practice was tomorrow was a running practice, you would think it was a running practice and be mad and so you see it was a test in trust because it wasn't ACTUALLY a running practice so I lied to you so that you would begin to trust me, see!"

• Like 1

By the way, I very much believe how the franchise responds to this will be a very defining moment.  This could get insanely ugly in a hurry or it could turn into a galvanizing moment. It is also the type of thing, that if it turns into a disaster that will cost Gar/Pax their positions. 

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

By the way, I very much believe how the franchise responds to this will be a very defining moment.  This could get insanely ugly in a hurry or it could turn into a galvanizing moment. It is also the type of thing, that if it turns into a disaster that will cost Gar/Pax their positions. 

Well good start tonight getting destroyed by the Kings and turning the ball over a million times.  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Galvinizing moment? Jobs may survive, but the thought of signing big free agents this offseason when you just put this guy up as coach can be kissed goodbye. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

The Kings are laughing at the Bulls now...THE KINGS

So embarrassing. Somehow they have surpassed previous embarrassing moments known as Paxson punching out a coach and Portis punching out his teammate.

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

The next time there are consequences for a front office of a Reinsdorf owned team it will be the first time since the Jerry Krause era. 

Not that they would land the big fish anyway, but no way they signa max free agent with Boylen running things like he is running things. 

For the love of God Michael Reinsdorf, clean house  today. Send GarPax packing. Tell Boylen he looks like he could run a few sprints, so have him sprint home. Don’t let them continue to poison the decent pieces you have. Hire someone with a clue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Not that they would land the big fish anyway, but no way they signa max free agent with Boylen running things like he is running things. 

For the love of God Michael Reinsdorf, clean house  today. Send GarPax packing. Tell Boylen he looks like he could run a few sprints, so have him sprint home. Don’t let them continue to poison the decent pieces you have. Hire someone with a clue.

I was beginning to feel optimistic that things could be pulled off in July. But hiring a coach specifically to punish the players before the offseason where you will be recruiting the best players in the world was the most incredibly stupid move I've ever seen.

The bulls, unfortunately, have done circus before. But this is a circus, and it needs to end. Please, Doug Collins, you are my only hope.

By the way, I should point out, when I read the quotes from the article in the Trib (and I realize it is the Trib and written by KC) and while I absolutely disagree with the 2nd substitution and the need for a public lashing (it was beyond over-kill), I can't really argue Boylan's overall message and focus.  I think for most of the time in NBA history his exact focus would absolutely work, however, the league has gone soft the past few years and players just can't handle this type of coaching.  Or at least that is the media bias.  And while that is the media bias, the reality is to be great at anything it takes a combination of a special talent and a special work ethic.  Additionally (and I said this when we started the "tank journey"), people underestimate how a team filled of youth can learn really bad and poor habits and you can end up creating a culture of losing ways that is so toxic that your organization is gutted (regardless of talent).  I think the Bulls players response to Boylan's demands showed some of that toxcity and "easy culture" that existed on the club.  

That said, there is a time and a place and a balance for how to do it, but I don't think the actual message Boylan has been giving is the wrong message, albeit, he very well might have crossed an unnecessary line that he can't go back from (we shall see).