2018-2019 Official NBA thread

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is this the part where you narrow the focus to just this deal and pretend that the Bulls haven't been giving away second round picks like strip club flyers in Las Vegas?

Is Jordan Bell the missing piece?  Who are we missing as a result of moving second round picks?

Edited by AustinIllini

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Is Jordan Bell the missing piece?  Who are we missing as a result of moving second round picks?

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

Who have they given away?

They just got cash for nothing.

Read my quote "If only the bulls were as aggressive in acquiring picks as they were in acquiring cash they would have some actual value to do things with. "

Can you show me what all the cash they've acquired has gone toward and how that is more valuable than the actual players that may get drafted in second round?

2017 they could have used their pick to acquire Dillon Brooks. But they lost that pick in the rose trade, then needed to trade two seconds to get rid of jose calderon for Dwyane Wade to sign for 40 million for 1 year of play.

58 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

From the protections stuff it seems like the Bulls were given free money to take him. The problem is that the Bulls never do anything smart with their money. 

They probably only received money they will need to pay him. But this isn't so bad. Now the Rockets will owe them a solid down the road. 

There has to be someone from Chicago they can bring in next year, overpay, and wish they never signed before the exhibition season ends. Okafor maybe.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Read my quote "If only the bulls were as aggressive in acquiring picks as they were in acquiring cash they would have some actual value to do things with. "

Can you show me what all the cash they've acquired has gone toward and how that is more valuable than the actual players that may get drafted in second round?

2017 they could have used their pick to acquire Dillon Brooks. But they lost that pick in the rose trade, then needed to trade two seconds to get rid of jose calderon for Dwyane Wade to sign for 40 million for 1 year of play.

Technically Luol Deng was acquired by the Bulls for "cash".  

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Technically Luol Deng was acquired by the Bulls for "cash".  

The Suns also acquired a future first round pick (IIRC with limited protections), so they were taking a bet that the Bulls would continue to be bad the next year. They wouldn't just save money, they also were betting on the rebuild continuing. The baby bulls made the playoffs that year, making it a pretty weak 1st round pick in return. 

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The Suns also acquired a future first round pick (IIRC with limited protections), so they were taking a bet that the Bulls would continue to be bad the next year. They wouldn't just save money, they also were betting on the rebuild continuing. The baby bulls made the playoffs that year, making it a pretty weak 1st round pick in return. 

This is revisionist history. Not at all the case...it was literally the bulls buying the pick. I never saw the actual cash amount but I believe it was the maximum allowable under the CBA at that time. 

Phoenix made the move because they didn’t want to pay for Deng as they wanted to add Quentin Richardson (or other free agents) to build around Nash and Marion etc. 

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Gonna say it's not good if the only thing you can cite is something that happened 14 years ago

Well teams don’t just buy picks for a few million these days. If you want to buy a first round pick you are taking on a long term deal. It isn’t that clean. And they really hadn’t been in the business of being able to take on cap space for picks up until the past two years anyway. 

The bulls have spent money. They have. They have never been horrifically cheap. Do the bulls make a lot of money...yes but they have spent on the franchise. 

From Zach Lowe's ten things column

5. The Bulls have built a time machine and are using it for evil

As Jim Boylen often says, he worked for Gregg Popovich and Rudy Tomjanovich. You don't get to those places without knowing the game, and how to coach it.

I just don't really get what he is trying to prove turning the Bulls into a slow-it-down post-up machine.

The Bulls under Boylen are averaging almost 14.5 post-ups per 100 possessions -- up from nine under Fred Hoiberg, per Second Spectrum. That increase is proportionally even larger, since Boylen has the Bulls crawling.

Boylen argues playing inside-out allows Chicago to control pace, limit turnovers, and force opponents to play against its set defense. That sounds like a thing. Chicago just doesn't have the personnel to, like, do it. Popovich and Tomjanovich had Tim Duncan, David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon. The 2018-19 Bulls have ... other players.

Since Boylen took over, only Embiid, Karl-Anthony Towns and LaMarcus Aldridge have posted up more often per possession than Robin Lopez, according to Second Spectrum. I love Robin Lopez. He revels in the dirty work that wins. His hardwood-scraping, floor-to-ceiling ice-cream-scoop hook is a little piece of hoops art.

There is just no universe in which Lopez should be posting up this much.

and it goes on...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25679396/10-things-like-including-james-harden-kobe-jordan-territory-nba

Chicago has been the league's least efficient post-up team under Boylen. They are taking more midrange jumpers. They are last in free throw rate, and 29th in turnover rate. (Prioritizing ball security and somehow almost leading the league in turnover rate almost makes me think the Bulls are embarking on some Joaquin Phoenix-style meta public art spectacle.) They have the NBA's worst offense in that span by a margin so wide it looks like a glitch. The best way to force opponents into playing against your set defense is to score!

Their defense has been better. I'm not sure you can connect A-to-B so clearly. Many of the Bulls' best defensive games over the past month have come against bad offensive teams, opponents missing star players -- or both (hi, Wizards).

(the bulls gave up 124 last night)

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

From Zach Lowe's ten things column

and it goes on...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25679396/10-things-like-including-james-harden-kobe-jordan-territory-nba

(the bulls gave up 124 last night)

In an era where scoring is pretty much as easy as it has ever been in NBA history the Bulls have one of the worst offensive teams in its history from an offensive rating standpoint.  Well done all.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

While LaVine is a good scorer, i'm not sure his best role in the NBA isn't one of the best 6th men in the league. He just seems like the 1st guy off the bench to me. 

I've been saying that for weeks now and now you are getting on the bandwagon? 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Thought that for a while actually. He just doesn't mesh with Markkanen, Dunn and WCJ. 

I wouldn't call anything firm based on how players work together under the coaching, roster construction, and systems the Bulls have run this year. 

On 1/10/2019 at 11:54 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Yet the Bulls are still drawing 20k a night.

Check Stubhub for weeknight games. If you are willing to wait until the last minute, you will get something in the 100 level for less than $20.

They do put on quite an experience, but I would imagine this is getting a little old for several people paying huge money. They better get decent by next year or IMO their ticket base is going to crater.