2018-2019 Official NBA thread

There are a lot of bad takes in this thread. People are mad the Bulls have realized they aren’t a FA destination? Haven’t we been b****ing for years they strike out in FA and need to get creative?

This is the exact type of deal the Bulls need to be making. Porter’s been in a fucked up situation but is normally incredibly efficient. He is another catch and shoot guy, so maybe the Bulls can surprise us with getting a guy who doesn’t need the rock like one of the following today:

• Markelle Fultz, because why not
  • Lonzo Ball (why not help facilitate a Lakers deal)
  • Ricky Rubio, readily available vet who’d help our primary assets grow

Anyway, you're Bulls fans so you should be pretty familiar with what you’ve gotten into. Shitting on the Porter deal when we can’t spend the money on worthwhile free agents anyway makes no sense. 

Edited by Steve9347
formatting of the bullets

34 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

There are a lot of bad takes in this thread. People are mad the Bulls have realized they aren’t a FA destination? Haven’t we been b****ing for years they strike out in FA and need to get creative?

This is the exact type of deal the Bulls need to be making. Porter’s been in a fucked up situation but is normally incredibly efficient. He is another catch and shoot guy, so maybe the Bulls can surprise us with getting a guy who doesn’t need the rock like one of the following today:

Anyway, you're Bulls fans so you should be pretty familiar with what you’ve gotten into. Shitting on the Porter deal when we can’t spend the money on worthwhile free agents anyway makes no sense. 

The Lakers are treating Ball as a valuable asset in the NOLA proposed moves, so what valuable asset are the Bulls swapping to the Lakers for him? Markannen? WCJ? First round draft pick? All those seem like unworkable concepts.

I have no disagreement on the other two.

2 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

I would much rather them just dump everything in sight for picks.  Guys like Otto Porter will always be available via trade and free agency if you want to overpay.  Back up the truck and dump everything not on a rookie deal for whatever you can get for them in terms of picks.

2 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Otto Porter Jr was 4th in Player Efficiency Rating among all qualified SF in 2017/18.

Great.  This is the NBA.  Players like this get moved.  I am also going to guess those ratings get murdered by playing for Boylen, and by a gigantic downgrade in who is getting him the ball.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Great.  This is the NBA.  Players like this get moved.  I am also going to guess those ratings get murdered by playing for Boylen, and by a gigantic downgrade in who is getting him the ball.

We're talking about Jabari Parker and Bobby Portis here. This trade was a win no matter how you slice it up.

Just now, fathom said:

Just thinking out loud here, but if the Bulls don't get the first pick, wouldn't Morant likely be the best fit with their current core?

I hate it say it but both Morant and Barrett are better fits when you look at the team make up, but Williamson is a guy who you make room for.

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I hate it say it but both Morant and Barrett are better fits when you look at the team make up, but Williamson is a guy who you make room for.

I mean if you get Zion and get a good point guard, a team construction of PG/lavine/porter/zion/markannen with WCJ as the backup big (can guard 4s and 5s) is really nice actually because markannens spacing helps facilitate zion's lack of shot initially. Lavine Porter and Markannen should create nice spacing. You basically need a PG that can play some defense though.

I don't know if paying Otto Porter $27 million a year is the answer, but at least GarPax recognized they aren't going to be attracting any good free agents when better teams from better climates, with coaches that don't make them do push ups, will be offering the same cash. 

If ownership isn't going to make a change, a move like this was about all they could do.  

• Like 1