2018-2019 Official NBA thread

I’m I actually think Bulls turned a corner with Porter trade. He is overpaid but he’s a good player who is still young and can help this team get better over the next few years. Much better fit as an all around player than Parker. He is a legitamately good all around wing and I presume his three ball will come back since he’s been good from there most of his career. 

The bulls drastically need an upgrade at point guard and hopefully the right lottery ball. No matter what they aren’t catching the Hawks but I don’t know if they catch the bottom three teams either. Hopefully the ping pong balls go there way and they can get an all pro and then desperately sign a point guard to help push and develop the players. 

Lauri has re emerged lately which is great. Needed that. I still feel like Lauri, Lavine and Wendell will be good NBA players. Not sure if any will be great. 

Bulls can hopefully start turning a corner next year so they can begin targeting free agency a year and two years from now (timing might not be awful as Bron will be older and Warriors will likely be Durant less).

They need to get to good with young players and then see how they can be opportunistic. I think the front office was realistic at the deadline vs worrying too much about cap space for next year (unfortunately the team didn’t step forward fast enough to be able to attract anyone). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I’m I actually think Bulls turned a corner with Porter trade. He is overpaid but he’s a good player who is still young and can help this team get better over the next few years. Much better fit as an all around player than Parker. He is a legitamately good all around wing and I presume his three ball will come back since he’s been good from there most of his career. 

The bulls drastically need an upgrade at point guard and hopefully the right lottery ball. No matter what they aren’t catching the Hawks but I don’t know if they catch the bottom three teams either. Hopefully the ping pong balls go there way and they can get an all pro and then desperately sign a point guard to help push and develop the players. 

Lauri has re emerged lately which is great. Needed that. I still feel like Lauri, Lavine and Wendell will be good NBA players. Not sure if any will be great. 

Bulls can hopefully start turning a corner next year so they can begin targeting free agency a year and two years from now (timing might not be awful as Bron will be older and Warriors will likely be Durant less).

They need to get to good with young players and then see how they can be opportunistic. I think the front office was realistic at the deadline vs worrying too much about cap space for next year (unfortunately the team didn’t step forward fast enough to be able to attract anyone). 

Honestly? I think you need to stop talking about the Bulls successfully attracting a major free agent, at least any time in the next several years. Not only do we have the Bulls not being good at it, but take a look at how the league is shaping up. Either you have guys going places because they're chasing rings (Durant), guys teaming up to fill multiple slots (anyone who goes to NYY this year, the Heat), or guys going to destination stops (Lebron to LAL, anyone who goes to NYC, Mia). When's the last time a team had space for a max contract and actually landed a major FA without the advantage of "Being Los Angeles"/having Steph Curry"? Furthermore, 2 years from now - know what's going to be in the way of free agency then? Markkanen will be up for his extension and Lavine will still be under contract.

If you want to talk about opportunistic, look at the other teams that are doing it - they're trading first round picks for guys once they're already good. Maybe in a few years the Bulls can get to that point. Building through FA? They're not going to pull it off.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly? I think you need to stop talking about the Bulls successfully attracting a major free agent, at least any time in the next several years. Not only do we have the Bulls not being good at it, but take a look at how the league is shaping up. Either you have guys going places because they're chasing rings (Durant), guys teaming up to fill multiple slots (anyone who goes to NYY this year, the Heat), or guys going to destination stops (Lebron to LAL, anyone who goes to NYC, Mia). When's the last time a team had space for a max contract and actually landed a major FA without the advantage of "Being Los Angeles"/having Steph Curry"? Furthermore, 2 years from now - know what's going to be in the way of free agency then? Markkanen will be up for his extension and Lavine will still be under contract.

If you want to talk about opportunistic, look at the other teams that are doing it - they're trading first round picks for guys once they're already good. Maybe in a few years the Bulls can get to that point. Building through FA? They're not going to pull it off.

Besides lucking into drafting a superstar or having one decide he just has to play for you, I do think the route taken by Philly (Butler), OKC (George), Toronto (Kawhi), and probably some others not coming to mind is the best one. Trade for one of those players even if he has been giving signals that he doesn't want to sign with you. See if you can win enough that he won't ever want to leave. You might get burned after you unloaded the truck to get a guy who takes off in a year or two, but you have to play these games if you want to win them. The tanking method is going to get less viable over time anyway with the recent lottery odds changes and the likelihood that the NBA takes more measures to disincentivize tanking.

17 minutes ago, Jake said:

Besides lucking into drafting a superstar or having one decide he just has to play for you, I do think the route taken by Philly (Butler), OKC (George), Toronto (Kawhi), and probably some others not coming to mind is the best one. Trade for one of those players even if he has been giving signals that he doesn't want to sign with you. See if you can win enough that he won't ever want to leave. You might get burned after you unloaded the truck to get a guy who takes off in a year or two, but you have to play these games if you want to win them. The tanking method is going to get less viable over time anyway with the recent lottery odds changes and the likelihood that the NBA takes more measures to disincentivize tanking.

Right, and Boston with Kawhi and Houston with Harden.

Ideally you build a team like Denver, Utah, Boston with lots of assets and cash them in with enough left over to still have a good team. The bulls constant obssession with Core backs them into a corner where they become skiddish on trading part of "the core" away but also prematurely focusing on complementary players instead of just continuing to add athletic raw players and developing them.

The Bulls actually look decent tonight.....But maybe that is just because Memphis sucks? I'm asking because I'm just starting to really get back into the NBA after a 6 or so year hiatus. Always kept an eye on the Bulls but not so much the rest of the NBA over that span. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Otto Porter: Is this guy really that talented? Was he just severely underperforming in Washington? 

Otto Porter has been down this year but has been a good wing for years and just had a very good game.

11 hours ago, Jake said:

People hate Boylen when he runs too slow of an offense but they also hate Boylen if he opens things up and starts running a bit.

Well, he said that slowing down the offense to the 1980s would help fix the toughness and defense, but it turned out it just made their core young prospects worse and didn't fix their defense at all (all with a better roster than Fred was working with). Their defense is still bad, but now at least they can score, their key young pieces sans Dunn are developing, and what changed was him going back to the offense that he said was causing all of their problems by "shooting too quickly" and too far away from the rim causing rebound issues.

Lauri's last 11 games: 24.1 points, 13.4 boards, 46% from the field on 17 attempts (38% on 7 3-point attempts). That's good for a 60.5% TS%.

LaVine in the same span: 24.7 points, 5.7 boards, 5.2 assists (2.5 turnovers, compare to 3.3 season average), 52% from the field on 18 attempts (43% on 5 3-point attempts). 62.5% TS%

2 hours ago, Jake said:

Lauri's last 11 games: 24.1 points, 13.4 boards, 46% from the field on 17 attempts (38% on 7 3-point attempts). That's good for a 60.5% TS%.

LaVine in the same span: 24.7 points, 5.7 boards, 5.2 assists (2.5 turnovers, compare to 3.3 season average), 52% from the field on 18 attempts (43% on 5 3-point attempts). 62.5% TS%

And part of this is removing Dunn from the equation as much as possible. Used to seem that when they didn’t mesh it was Lavines fault but it’s clear it’s pretty much Dunn’s.

37 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well I guess I was wrong when I said there was no chance the Bulls would screw up their lottery odds. 

Still plenty of space between the and the Hawks. Along with the new odds this year, it would take an insane win streak for them to botch this.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Well I guess I was wrong when I said there was no chance the Bulls would screw up their lottery odds. 

They have 2 games left v hawks. They can just commit to tanking those and it would be very difficult to lose 4th