2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Now that we're living it, you can definitely see the improvement the change to the lottery made. There really isn't much of an incentive for the Bulls to try to tank the last leg of the season and thus far we've been rewarded with some good ball and player development.

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

Now that we're living it, you can definitely see the improvement the change to the lottery made. There really isn't much of an incentive for the Bulls to try to tank the last leg of the season and thus far we've been rewarded with some good ball and player development.

I’m not sure that people are prepared for how crazy the result could be. Seems like people still in their head are still assuming top position will mean top pick.

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

It's nice to see their progress, most notably Lavine and Mark. On flip side, it is amazing how far back Dunn has fallen. That run last year before he got hurt seems so long ago. Anyone know how longOtto will be Out?

Haven’t seen any timeline, wasn’t listed as serious. That said, don’t be surprised if he’s out for way longer than he should.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I’m not sure that people are prepared for how crazy the result could be. Seems like people still in their head are still assuming top position will mean top pick.

They flattened out the NHL lottery post-McDavid and last year they had the Hurricanes jump from 11 to 2. It is very likely there are multiple scenarios where a team from 10-14 jumps into the top 3. The most likely statistical scenario for each team is to obtain the worst pick allowed by the lottery rules. In the NHL, the team with the worst record in the league has a 51% chance of picking 4th. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

They flattened out the NHL lottery post-McDavid and last year they had the Hurricanes jump from 11 to 2. It is very likely there are multiple scenarios where a team from 10-14 jumps into the top 3. The most likely statistical scenario for each team is to obtain the worst pick allowed by the lottery rules. In the NHL, the team with the worst record in the league has a 51% chance of picking 4th. 

Yep - I'm already expecting the Lakers to miss the playoffs and than win the lottery.  

So I have to ask. Was Dunn really hurt or did he literally no show practice because he didn't play in the 4th quarter? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he's always seemed to be a team first guy, but I really am baffled at how athletic he looked a year ago vs. how he's looked this entire season. He never could shoot but last year he could get into the paint with ease. This year he can't do that and we obviously know he isn't a knock down shooter (or a strong passer).  

Will Wendell Carter be back this year? Sounds like Hutchinson might be a couple weeks away (started shooting today), but any update on Carter Jr?  Its been about 4 weeks and he was listed as 8-12? 

I have my delusional one-sided Bulls trade idea. Bulls trade Dunn, Valentine and some 2nd round picks for Lonzo Ball. Lakers need D in Dunn and move away from Ball. No possibility but I would love Lonzo (sans his dad) on the Bulls.  I don't know what would be worse though, Bulls training staff with Zo or Lavar with Gar?  

Probably a little too early to bring these back but nobody agreed with me and I'm enjoying the mess that is the Lakers right now...  

On 9/14/2018 at 12:09 AM, Jose Abreu said:

I really don't get it. It's a long-term play and they have some young pieces but going to a Western Conference team was him saying he doesn't care about rings anymore, because he sure as hell isn't winning one any time soon. I don't think they're any better than an 8 seed this year. West is just too stacked. 

On 9/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, Jose Abreu said:

Then I guess people are gonna be really surprised when the Lakers either miss the playoffs or lose to GSW/Rockets in the first round. I didn't know that people were high on them for this season

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I have my delusional one-sided Bulls trade idea. Bulls trade Dunn, Valentine and some 2nd round picks for Lonzo Ball. Lakers need D in Dunn and move away from Ball. No possibility but I would love Lonzo (sans his dad) on the Bulls.  I don't know what would be worse though, Bulls training staff with Zo or Lavar with Gar?  

That would be amazing, but I can't imagine the Lakers trading Ball. All of their on/off numbers show that he's the second most important Laker on that team. He's also probably better at defense than Dunn is.

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

The worst thing about Dunn is his d has also fallen off. Zack Lowe said bulls were heavily shopping Dunn and no teams were interested.

I wouldn’t mind ball, bulls getting little from PG though Arc clearly performing better than Dunn. Zack has been doing an interesting job with ball in his hands. Shame WCJ isn’t there too.

next offseason definitely need someone though.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

The worst thing about Dunn is his d has also fallen off. Zack Lowe said bulls were heavily shopping Dunn and no teams were interested.

I wouldn’t mind ball, bulls getting little from PG though Arc clearly performing better than Dunn. Zack has been doing an interesting job with ball in his hands. Shame WCJ isn’t there too.

next offseason definitely need someone though.

Cowley mentioned that Dunn was offended when the bulls were looking at Trae Young before last seasons draft.  As Brian would say, Sawft

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Cowley mentioned that Dunn was offended when the bulls were looking at Trae Young before last seasons draft.  As Brian would say, Sawft

Yeah, he definitely thought he was the man. I thought he was getting too much praise last year when he was ball hogging last shots and hitting like 6% of them.

I do want to say I'm very pleased with Lavine lately, even defensively. Less dumb reach-in fouls. THen offensively, much better distributor and playmaker in spots.

I hated his defense before but knew he was trying, not mailing it in. Definitely seems like its paying off as the structure of the team improves. And him focusing on playing off of lauri more rather than Dunn plays off because Lauri is very unselfish and Lavine works to pay him back.

It helps when you remove bobby portis/parker type players too that got the ball and never gave it up. Much more of a group for team basketball here and its paying off. 

On 2/26/2019 at 3:39 PM, bmags said:

I do want to say I'm very pleased with Lavine lately, even defensively. Less dumb reach-in fouls. THen offensively, much better distributor and playmaker in spots.

I hated his defense before but knew he was trying, not mailing it in. Definitely seems like its paying off as the structure of the team improves. And him focusing on playing off of lauri more rather than Dunn plays off because Lauri is very unselfish and Lavine works to pay him back.

It helps when you remove bobby portis/parker type players too that got the ball and never gave it up. Much more of a group for team basketball here and its paying off. 

LaVine being a better distributor lately and forming a good 2-man game with Lauri is why I'm not necessarily against Barrett if the Bulls were to get the #2 spot in the draft. 

Just say screw it and go jumbo. When your front court is Porter-Lauri-Carter, it might actually work.

I think we are seeing why some people out there picked them to compete a little and even finish 8th in the playoff race (I think Barkley did).  There is talent there especially adding Porter but they will still be in NBA hell until they get a legitimate superstar or Lauri becomes Dirk.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

3 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I think we are seeing why some people out there picked them to compete a little and even finish 8th in the playoff race (I think Barkley did).  There is talent there especially adding Porter but they will still be in NBA hell until they get a legitimate superstar or Lauri becomes Dirk.

you can't really worry about that. They just need to keep hitting on draft picks, making smart choices with money, and wait for an opportunity to acquire one via trade. 

On 6/21/2018 at 9:18 AM, bmags said:

I personally think Young would finally make Fred's system make sense. He'll push pace, his passing is completely underrated, and all of our point guards are already high usage, terrible shooting point guards so I think it would make a big difference.

So glad I was kind to young, he is fun to watch

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yes, it's Atlanta, but my god, the Zach/Lauri/Otto core has been so good. 

ATL has been quite good recently. This is a fun game. Hoping ATL wins so I can stop worrying rest of year.

Fav part about Lauri recently aside from passing is him muscling down smaller guards any time there is an unfavorable switch.