2018-2019 Official NBA thread

45 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Last night is everything I hate about the free agency superteams. Look at how good of a game that was, and realize that it wouldn't have happened at all had one of the best players in the NBA not gotten hurt.

The free agency superteams have ruined basketball for me. I still pay a little bit of attention, but the NBA isn't the same since the Heat in 2010-11. It's just anti-competitive. 

That said, I wonder how KD's injury will affect free agency this offseason. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The free agency superteams have ruined basketball for me. I still pay a little bit of attention, but the NBA isn't the same since the Heat in 2010-11. It's just anti-competitive. 

That said, I wonder how KD's injury will affect free agency this offseason. 

Thing is the NBA has always been about superstar players and dominate teams. Outside of the Pistons in ‘04 every champion has 1-2 HOF caliber players on them. It has very difficult with only 5 players on the court to beat a Jordan/James type player over 7 games unless you have a Jordan/James type player.

Also, the Warriors just put the finishing touch of adding a HOF player to their roster. They built the rest through the draft.  So while they can be annoying, they did build that team for the most part through the draft. 

1 hour ago, BFirebird said:

Thing is the NBA has always been about superstar players and dominate teams. Outside of the Pistons in ‘04 every champion has 1-2 HOF caliber players on them. It has very difficult with only 5 players on the court to beat a Jordan/James type player over 7 games unless you have a Jordan/James type player.

Also, the Warriors just put the finishing touch of adding a HOF player to their roster. They built the rest through the draft.  So while they can be annoying, they did build that team for the most part through the draft. 

The Bulls were involved in some exciting series up to and including the Finals. Maybe it's the different style of play, maybe it's the leaguewide tanking, idk. There were a lot of teams winning 50+ games in the 90s. You basically had to break 40 wins to make the playoffs. Also, there are a lot more non-competitive series in the playoffs then there used to be. There used to be competitive series in every round, now there's no competitive series until the conference finals. 

Maybe if you make the 1st round best of 5 again it would help create a bit of excitement back in the playoffs. Right now it's bullshit. I've always loved hoops, but it is sooo anti competitive right now. The only other thing that can explain it is that the gap between the top 10 players in the league and the rest of the NBA is higher than it's ever been. I've always accepted chalk winning in the NBA more often than not, but the regular season and first two rounds of the playoffs are no longer entertaining. I turn it off until the conference finals now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Bulls were involved in some exciting series up to and including the Finals. Maybe it's the different style of play, maybe it's the leaguewide tanking, idk. There were a lot of teams winning 50+ games in the 90s. You basically had to break 40 wins to make the playoffs. Also, there are a lot more non-competitive series in the playoffs then there used to be. There used to be competitive series in every round, now there's no competitive series until the conference finals. 

Maybe if you make the 1st round best of 5 again it would help create a bit of excitement back in the playoffs. Right now it's bullshit. I've always loved hoops, but it is sooo anti competitive right now. The only other thing that can explain it is that the gap between the top 10 players in the league and the rest of the NBA is higher than it's ever been. I've always accepted chalk winning in the NBA more often than not, but the regular season and first two rounds of the playoffs are no longer entertaining. I turn it off until the conference finals now. 

Come on dude, there was tons of early round garbage matchups in the nba in the 90s.   This stuff has largely remained the same, you need stars to win.   There are the haves and have nots 

the bulls swept every first round match up from 91-94, beat the pacers 3-1 in 95, then swept the next three seasons again

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Come on dude, there was tons of early round garbage matchups in the nba in the 90s.   This stuff has largely remained the same, you need stars to win.   There are the haves and have nots 

the bulls swept every first round match up from 91-94, beat the pacers 3-1 in 95, then swept the next three seasons again

I was referring to the 3-6 and 4-5 matchups 

Every nba playoffs I have to read the same takes from hockey fans and others about how, really, they love basketball, it just used to be so much better, and it is just:

- in 00s: all hero ball all the time. No sense of team whatsoever, I don't know what happened.

- in 10s: just no where near as physical any more, these guys couldn't have stood a chance back then. I miss when teams had a chance, it's now all 3 ball.

blah  blah blah.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was referring to the 3-6 and 4-5 matchups 

Ah, so the nba was less anti competitive than as referenced by it's second rung teams playing each other competitively before getting smoked by the top teams. 

And this years playoffs, where the first round in the western conference seeing much more competitive 1-8 and 2-7 matchups is an example of how anti competitve it is, because the 3-6 and 4-5 matchups were blow outs (before those teams got into epic next round series).

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ah, so the nba was less anti competitive than as referenced by it's second rung teams playing each other competitively before getting smoked by the top teams. 

And this years playoffs, where the first round in the western conference seeing much more competitive 1-8 and 2-7 matchups is an example of how anti competitve it is, because the 3-6 and 4-5 matchups were blow outs (before those teams got into epic next round series).

The Bulls used to wipe the floor with other teams but IIRC the Heat, Knicks and other top teams had some competitive series in the 1st round. It just seems like the talent was more spread out then while it is more concentrated now. Players never went out of their way to team up with other good players, it just happened. Shaq was signed by the Lakers and they traded Divac for Kobe. They didn't know Kobe was going to be that good. The Bulls traded Shawn Kemp for Pippen at the draft. You could argue the Rockets were the first when Drexler left Portland, but that is pushing it, as he and Olajuwon were college teammates. 

In a 5 game series, 4 games is competitive if 3 are close, and they were more often than not. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Bulls used to wipe the floor with other teams but IIRC the Heat, Knicks and other top teams had some competitive series in the 1st round. It just seems like the talent was more spread out then while it is more concentrated now. Players never went out of their way to team up with other good players, it just happened. Shaq was signed by the Lakers and they traded Divac for Kobe. They didn't know Kobe was going to be that good. The Bulls traded Shawn Kemp for Pippen at the draft. You could argue the Rockets were the first when Drexler left Portland, but that is pushing it, as he and Olajuwon were college teammates. 

In a 5 game series, 4 games is competitive if 3 are close, and they were more often than not. 

Are you even gonna look up some of this stuff first?  This is some big time broad brush white washing of the nba in the 80s and 90s

50 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Are you even gonna look up some of this stuff first?  This is some big time broad brush white washing of the nba in the 80s and 90s

I already did. Games were more competitive, series were more competitive, the 3 peat LA Lakers in the early 2000 overcame 2 20 point deficits in the 3rd quarter of consecutive 7s in 2000 and 2001 vs  the Blazers and Kings respectively. There were points in series where the outcome was in question. GSW is down 3-2 but I still won't believe they'll lose until they do. This is just off the top of my head. The 1998 Bulls had to play 7 games to beat the Pacers, and a lot of games were close. Losing Durant should be a death blow to a team, the fact that GSW can potentially win a title without him, is an indictment of exactly how anti competitive the NBA has become. 

Btw in the 7 game series between the Bulls and Pacers in 1998 3 of the 7 games were decided by one possession, 6 of the 7 games were decided by fewer than 10 points. Go look it up. That kind of competition doesn't happen in the NBA anymore. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Ah, we have quickly gotten to the part where you narrow your qualifications to the results of one previous series 20+ years ago.  Check mate 

(Ps it wasn't a secret that Kobe was gonna be good, Dave Cowen was just a dumb ass)

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ah, we have quickly gotten to the part where you narrow your qualifications to the results of one previous series 20+ years ago.  Check mate 

(Ps it wasn't a secret that Kobe was gonna be good, Dave Cowen was just a dumb ass)

If it wasn't a secret, why did he last until the middle of the 1st round? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If it wasn't a secret, why did he last until the middle of the 1st round? 

He was 18 and the league wasn't really all about having kids in the NBA.    But nobody doubted that he could play

12 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

He was 18 and the league wasn't really all about having kids in the NBA.    But nobody doubted that he could play

He was actually still 17 when he was drafted. Duuuuuuhhhhh :P

Edited by Brian

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I already did. Games were more competitive, series were more competitive, the 3 peat LA Lakers in the early 2000 overcame 2 20 point deficits in the 3rd quarter of consecutive 7s in 2000 and 2001 vs  the Blazers and Kings respectively. There were points in series where the outcome was in question. GSW is down 3-2 but I still won't believe they'll lose until they do. This is just off the top of my head. The 1998 Bulls had to play 7 games to beat the Pacers, and a lot of games were close. Losing Durant should be a death blow to a team, the fact that GSW can potentially win a title without him, is an indictment of exactly how anti competitive the NBA has become. 

Btw in the 7 game series between the Bulls and Pacers in 1998 3 of the 7 games were decided by one possession, 6 of the 7 games were decided by fewer than 10 points. Go look it up. That kind of competition doesn't happen in the NBA anymore. 

this is just so stupid. Portland/Denver had a 4 OT game in a 7 game series. Philly/Toronto had the entire series won on a last second shot that hit the rim 4 times. SAS/Denver game 7 went down to the last minute.

The 6 game eastern finals had 2/3 of its games with 10 points and was a big upset.

Last years Rockets/Warriors.

It's just idiotic, but you'll be able to maintain your argument for eternity by selective application of your terrible basketball memory.

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

this is just so stupid. Portland/Denver had a 4 OT game in a 7 game series. Philly/Toronto had the entire series won on a last second shot that hit the rim 4 times. SAS/Denver game 7 went down to the last minute.

The 6 game eastern finals had 2/3 of its games with 10 points and was a big upset.

Last years Rockets/Warriors.

It's just idiotic, but you'll be able to maintain your argument for eternity by selective application of your terrible basketball memory.

It just seemed like every game was more competitive. It was a hell of a lot more entertaining. 

Have you ever heard the saying: "To be the best, you have to beat the best?" Instead it has become "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and that is the cowardly way out. These guys who do this shit are cowards, and they're taking fucking shortcuts to basically guarantee themselves titles. It is bullshit. The Bulls played the Pistons 3x before they beat them. How many times did Stockton and Malone lose conference finals before they finally got there? That kind of shit used to happen all of the time and it was a huge storyline. 

Shaq didn't go to a team on the way up, or ready to win. I want these guys to want to be the guy. Where the fuck has the alpha-male gene gone with NBA players? 

17 hours ago, bmags said:

Scottie Pippen was not traded for Shawn Kemp. And are you familiar with the 80s celtics and lakers and super teams?

Pippen was traded for Olden Polynice. 

Hopefully I spelled it right so his google alert will work

• Haha 2