2018-2019 Official NBA thread

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Denver adds another medical flyer (last year it was Porter).  

I love the Nuggets' process here.  They gave up a future second and cash to take a flyer on a guy who was a preseason top-5 pick.  Get him into your program, give him a redshirt year, and see what you have when the dust settles.  If the Nuggets hit on just one of Porter or Bol, they jump from "good playoff team who is really fun to watch" to "title contender" pretty quickly.

6 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

I love the Nuggets' process here.  They gave up a future second and cash to take a flyer on a guy who was a preseason top-5 pick.  Get him into your program, give him a redshirt year, and see what you have when the dust settles.  If the Nuggets hit on just one of Porter or Bol, they jump from "good playoff team who is really fun to watch" to "title contender" pretty quickly.

I don't know, I don't think either really have star potential anymore but may be regulars and Denver will eventually be able to acquire a star with all of the pieces they create.

52 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know, I don't think either really have star potential anymore but may be regulars and Denver will eventually be able to acquire a star with all of the pieces they create.

Here's Woj on Porter from this week:

Wojnarowski added, “All I’ve heard from Denver is Michael Porter Jr., every day in the gym, has been outstanding. They think he’s going to be really, really good. That team…If he helps that team next year, don’t forget about the Nuggets [as contenders]. They have depth and that’s a really good team.”  

https://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/espn-raves-about-mpj-20190617a

I don't know how one can say neither Bol nor Porter have star potential anymore.  That would be like saying Embiid didn't have star potential after his sit out year for the Sixers.  Porter and Bol have longer odds of hitting than they did entering their FR year of college, but the star potential is still there for both.  And the Nuggets' history of luring FAs is decidedly Bullsian.  So that leaves find the guy in-house, or find the guy via trade - and having high upside assets certainly helps get a trade for a star done.  

Will be interesting if they still go for Brogdon. I really think I'm just going for some good, hard working vets, who can be good mentors for the young players and work well with Boylan and the staff (i.e., Beverly and Taj). They make the team better in the near term, help young players grow, and don't take too much opportunity for those young players, while leaving long-term flexibility in space (and ensuring the franchise can pivot if and when potential stars come available via FA and trade).  

However, I do get it if they go with Brogdon and than just figure they have one max spot in two years and presume Brogdon is a quality guy who helps bring franchise back to respectable levels. The reality is the Bulls aren't going to get any major player to show up without them reaching "respectable" levels from a W/L perspective.  I just don't know that I tie up that much cap with Brogdon who is a good player but with much more muted upside, but I also presume, he'd be the type of guy you could eventually package (say 2 years from now when he only has 2 years left on his deal).  

33 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Here's Woj on Porter from this week:

Wojnarowski added, “All I’ve heard from Denver is Michael Porter Jr., every day in the gym, has been outstanding. They think he’s going to be really, really good. That team…If he helps that team next year, don’t forget about the Nuggets [as contenders]. They have depth and that’s a really good team.”  

https://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/espn-raves-about-mpj-20190617a

I don't know how one can say neither Bol nor Porter have star potential anymore.  That would be like saying Embiid didn't have star potential after his sit out year for the Sixers.  Porter and Bol have longer odds of hitting than they did entering their FR year of college, but the star potential is still there for both.  And the Nuggets' history of luring FAs is decidedly Bullsian.  So that leaves find the guy in-house, or find the guy via trade - and having high upside assets certainly helps get a trade for a star done.  

Porter had multiple back surgeries before he was 20 and has barely played basketball in 2 years, and never played college basketball at as high a level as Embiid did at Kansas before getting injured.

Bol had a foot injury, which is already hard for a big, and needs to add weight to his frame. He's not athletic enough to switch on the perimeter, so he'll largely be a gimmicky offensive player - maybe a good one, but in order for them to be stars they need to prove a whole lot more than they have, including staying healthy.

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Will be interesting if they still go for Brogdon. I really think I'm just going for some good, hard working vets, who can be good mentors for the young players and work well with Boylan and the staff (i.e., Beverly and Taj). They make the team better in the near term, help young players grow, and don't take too much opportunity for those young players, while leaving long-term flexibility in space (and ensuring the franchise can pivot if and when potential stars come available via FA and trade).  

However, I do get it if they go with Brogdon and than just figure they have one max spot in two years and presume Brogdon is a quality guy who helps bring franchise back to respectable levels. The reality is the Bulls aren't going to get any major player to show up without them reaching "respectable" levels from a W/L perspective.  I just don't know that I tie up that much cap with Brogdon who is a good player but with much more muted upside, but I also presume, he'd be the type of guy you could eventually package (say 2 years from now when he only has 2 years left on his deal).  

I just think Brogdon adds defensive versatility, is a legit "3rd best guy on a championship team" imo, and could bring along white. If White is great, you can trade either Brogdon or Lavine for assets or an upgrade elsewhere. 

Just now, Steve9347 said:

I don’t really want to blow our nut on Brogdon. 

If a star is ever amenable to actually joining the bulls, the bulls will know and can easily move porter and brogdon to open up requisite space, or Lavine. 

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

Porter had multiple back surgeries before he was 20 and has barely played basketball in 2 years, and never played college basketball at as high a level as Embiid did at Kansas before getting injured.

Bol had a foot injury, which is already hard for a big, and needs to add weight to his frame. He's not athletic enough to switch on the perimeter, so he'll largely be a gimmicky offensive player - maybe a good one, but in order for them to be stars they need to prove a whole lot more than they have, including staying healthy.

Right - the odds of either reaching their potential is longer than it was when they were incoming FR.  But saying they don't have star potential anymore is just flat out incorrect.  The risk at 14 (Porter) and 44 (Bol) on a good, young roster is smart business from the Nuggets IMO.

ETA: Embiid had a stress fracture heading into the draft as well.  There was a lot of risk in his profile when the Sixers drafted him.  I'm not saying Bol or Porter will be stars.  Just that saying they no longer have that potential ignores a pretty recent example of a guy hitting his ceiling after an injury caused a draft slide (and a guy who still manages his minutes because of injury).

Edited by illinilaw08

3 hours ago, Jake said:

Also from The Ringer:

So basically we drafted a PG who is great in the fast break but mediocre to bad in the half court (someone on twitter last night claimed he was one of the worst pg's in the country in the half court), and we have a coach who wants to play a brand of basketball that is more 1980 than 2019 (e.g., half court sets and focus on the post) when the roster is full of good jump shooters. 

I'm sure this season is going to be GREAT.

Edited by Jenksismyhero

56 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Right - the odds of either reaching their potential is longer than it was when they were incoming FR.  But saying they don't have star potential anymore is just flat out incorrect.  The risk at 14 (Porter) and 44 (Bol) on a good, young roster is smart business from the Nuggets IMO.

ETA: Embiid had a stress fracture heading into the draft as well.  There was a lot of risk in his profile when the Sixers drafted him.  I'm not saying Bol or Porter will be stars.  Just that saying they no longer have that potential ignores a pretty recent example of a guy hitting his ceiling after an injury caused a draft slide (and a guy who still manages his minutes because of injury).

I'm not saying they don't have any star potential, we don't really know the ceilings of any player. But I just don't think this is a brilliant play of denver running laps around others. There are flaws and risks to these players outside of injuries.

And I brought up the foot injury because Embiid had a scary injury for a big man, but Bol has foot injuries and still needs to add about 40 lbs of muscle. And the draft slide of Embiid was ... 2 spots? He was third overall. Bol Bol was drafted 45th. There are questions in his ability beyond injuries.

42 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

So basically we drafted a PG who is great in the fast break but mediocre to bad in the half court (someone on twitter last night claimed he was one of the worst pg's in the country in the half court), and we have a coach who wants to play a brand of basketball that is more 1980 than 2019 (e.g., half court sets and focus on the post) when the roster is full of good jump shooters. 

well yeah, he may not be that good his first year. But let's keep in mind, PG is the hardest position to grasp. Frosh point guards aren't just adjusting to more mature, physical players, but also a faster more complex offense which they are in charge of running. And White was doing that at a blue blood program in the premiere conference in college. And he was very successful.

Now he'll have to make another jump. But his ability allows him to be a force in transition game, but there is nothing that says he cannot learn how to manage his team with more experience in the half court. That he moves off ball shows he does have some feel for the flow, but he needs more reps. 

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not saying they don't have any star potential, we don't really know the ceilings of any player. But I just don't think this is a brilliant play of denver running laps around others. There are flaws and risks to these players outside of injuries.

And I brought up the foot injury because Embiid had a scary injury for a big man, but Bol has foot injuries and still needs to add about 40 lbs of muscle. And the draft slide of Embiid was ... 2 spots? He was third overall. Bol Bol was drafted 45th. There are questions in his ability beyond injuries.

You literally said that in the first response - and responding to that has been the crux of my side of our discussion here.

I'm also not saying that Denver is running laps around the field.  I'm saying that for Denver - what the team is now, and how they have historically done in free agency, I love their philosophy on Porter and Bol (full disclosure, I go to 10-15 Nuggets games a year).  Jokic is a first team All-NBA candidate (he was first team this year) with a really unique skillset.  Jamal Murray is really close to becoming that second star on a legit contender.  They have a solid group of role players (though they have a decision to make on Milsap).  Their question is - how do you get that third star.  And their process in the draft the last two years - as a 46 win team in the lottery in the Porter draft, and as a team with no picks in the Bol draft - were smart gambles under the circumstances.

6 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Boylen had the guys playing at a fast pace in that nice stretch of time that everyone was healthy. Boylen and Paxson have been saying all offseason they want a fast-paced offense focused on outside shooting.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We are now up to "He had ID and presented it but the officer didn't like the ID he presented, the officer pushed him first, and did so because he presented the ID in a 'very threatening kind of way'". 

The ID was presented so fast, it created a gust of wind that knocked the officers brain into his skull and gave him a concussion.

• Haha 2