southsider2k5

2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Eh...I have no opinion but hope he crushes it.  The bright side is he seems to be a very good athlete with a nice wing span.  Pretty raw.  

I don’t know anything about him, but Coby White is a last name off the bench ass name. 

As tempting as Bol Bol was, clearly NBA teams know something bad is going on with him. 

Some mocks had Gafford in the late first after he was a projected late first/second rounder last year.

The Ringer can put it better:

An unheralded high school prospect who has emerged as an ideal, high-energy center.

SHADES OF: Clint Capela, Willie Cauley-Stein, JaVale McGee

PLUSES
  • Explosive lob threat who finishes strong against contact and draws a lot of fouls; Arkansas rarely ran pick-and-roll, but that’ll be his primary skill in the NBA.
  • Displays fluidity that could translate into greater pick-and-roll upside if his ballhandling and touch develop.
  • Excellent on-ball and off-ball screener who displays an understanding of timing and angles.
  • Relentless rebounder.
  • Grinds hard defending man-to-man, plus has terrific shot-blocking instincts from the weak side and on the perimeter.
MINUSES
  • Partially tore his meniscus in high school.
  • Nonthreat outside of the paint due to average touch and funky shot form; he’s also a poor free throw shooter.
  • Lacks passing vision.
  • Heavy feet defending on the perimeter, which limits his effectiveness on a switch. His lean frame and average length also limits him against beefy centers.
  • Commits too many careless fouls biting for pump fakes, reaching, and attempting to block shots he has no chance at.

This team is going to run a lot.

I'm excited we got Coby at 7. Needed a PG. If they stay healthy, Coby, Zach, Otto, Lauri, Wendell, should be fun.

Know nothing about the Arkansas kid.

I still think they should try to add Brogdon then maybe Ed Davis.

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

I still think they should try to add Brogdon then maybe Ed Davis.

They definitely need vets, but I see that need more on the wing side. No way the Bulls should enter the Brogdon bidding, he's going to get a 20m offer sheet for sure. I'd be surprised if someone eats Kris Dunn, so he's likely our expensive backup point - though I did hear Bulls are still interested in Beverley as a stopgap vet.

6 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

They definitely need vets, but I see that need more on the wing side. No way the Bulls should enter the Brogdon bidding, he's going to get a 20m offer sheet for sure. I'd be surprised if someone eats Kris Dunn, so he's likely our expensive backup point - though I did hear Bulls are still interested in Beverley as a stopgap vet.

Oh no we wouldn't have money to go after premium free agents.

• Haha 1

Also from The Ringer:

White could be the final piece on an interesting young lineup in Chicago. They took two young big men (Lauri Markkanen and Wendell Carter Jr.) with the no. 7 overall picks in the last two drafts, and acquired Zach LaVine and Otto Porter Jr. in trades. This group could be better than the sum of its parts. White is an extremely athletic guard with great size for his position (6-foot-5, 191 pounds) as well as the ability to make plays and shoot 3s off the dribble. The big knock on him is that he’s not an elite playmaker, but he may not have to be that type of player when he’s next to so many other good passers in Chicago. His shooting ability may already make him a better fit than Kris Dunn. White makes them better next season while also giving them another chance to find a star.

White, like Culver, rose up draft boards over the course of the season. He wasn’t originally supposed to be a one-and-done player, but it didn’t take long for him to show that he was the best prospect on a North Carolina team that had two other players (Cam Johnson and Nas Little) taken in the first round. White, a speed demon who pushes the pace at every opportunity, is a classic Roy Williams point guard. What makes him such an intriguing prospect is that he combines that speed with great size for the position (6-foot-5 and 185 pounds) and a good 3-point shot (35.3 percent on 6.6 attempts per game).

One of the knocks on White coming into the draft was that he might not be ready to run an NBA offense. He can make highlight-reel passes, but he’s still a score-first guard who can get out of control at times. Few coaches at the next level will give White as much freedom as he had under Williams. Bulls head coach Jim Boylen certainly won’t. The good news for White is that while his NBA coach may not be the best fit for his game, his teammates are. Markkanen is an even more prolific 3-point shooter than Towns: He shot 36.1 percent from 3 on 6.4 attempts per game last season, the most of any 7-footer in the league. White will be playing in spacing nirvana next to Markkanen.

It’s not just Markkanen, either. White will be the rare rookie point guard taken in the lottery who starts his NBA career with a lot of talent around him. Zach LaVine and Otto Porter Jr. are knockdown 3-point shooters, while Wendell Carter Jr. showed flashes of the ability to stretch the floor in a promising rookie season. The Bulls could run a five-out offense with shooters at every position. Porter and Carter, two of the better frontcourt passers in the league, can also take some of the playmaking pressure off White. He won’t have to do everything on offense. He can play off the ball and count on his veteran teammates to create open shots for him.

White is a much better fit with their starters than Kris Dunn, a streaky outside shooter who can’t threaten the defense without the ball. Everything has to go through Dunn when he is in. White, on the other hand, is an excellent spot-up shooter who should be able to succeed in a smaller role in the offense. The Bulls don’t need their point guard to dominate the ball. They have two of the most skilled young big men in the NBA and two wings who can score in LaVine and Porter. For as much criticism as they have received during their rebuild over the last few seasons, they suddenly have one of the most interesting young cores in the league.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Denver adds another medical flyer (last year it was Porter).  

I love the Nuggets' process here.  They gave up a future second and cash to take a flyer on a guy who was a preseason top-5 pick.  Get him into your program, give him a redshirt year, and see what you have when the dust settles.  If the Nuggets hit on just one of Porter or Bol, they jump from "good playoff team who is really fun to watch" to "title contender" pretty quickly.

6 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

I love the Nuggets' process here.  They gave up a future second and cash to take a flyer on a guy who was a preseason top-5 pick.  Get him into your program, give him a redshirt year, and see what you have when the dust settles.  If the Nuggets hit on just one of Porter or Bol, they jump from "good playoff team who is really fun to watch" to "title contender" pretty quickly.

I don't know, I don't think either really have star potential anymore but may be regulars and Denver will eventually be able to acquire a star with all of the pieces they create.

52 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know, I don't think either really have star potential anymore but may be regulars and Denver will eventually be able to acquire a star with all of the pieces they create.

Here's Woj on Porter from this week:

Wojnarowski added, “All I’ve heard from Denver is Michael Porter Jr., every day in the gym, has been outstanding. They think he’s going to be really, really good. That team…If he helps that team next year, don’t forget about the Nuggets [as contenders]. They have depth and that’s a really good team.”  

https://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/espn-raves-about-mpj-20190617a

I don't know how one can say neither Bol nor Porter have star potential anymore.  That would be like saying Embiid didn't have star potential after his sit out year for the Sixers.  Porter and Bol have longer odds of hitting than they did entering their FR year of college, but the star potential is still there for both.  And the Nuggets' history of luring FAs is decidedly Bullsian.  So that leaves find the guy in-house, or find the guy via trade - and having high upside assets certainly helps get a trade for a star done.  

Will be interesting if they still go for Brogdon. I really think I'm just going for some good, hard working vets, who can be good mentors for the young players and work well with Boylan and the staff (i.e., Beverly and Taj). They make the team better in the near term, help young players grow, and don't take too much opportunity for those young players, while leaving long-term flexibility in space (and ensuring the franchise can pivot if and when potential stars come available via FA and trade).  

However, I do get it if they go with Brogdon and than just figure they have one max spot in two years and presume Brogdon is a quality guy who helps bring franchise back to respectable levels. The reality is the Bulls aren't going to get any major player to show up without them reaching "respectable" levels from a W/L perspective.  I just don't know that I tie up that much cap with Brogdon who is a good player but with much more muted upside, but I also presume, he'd be the type of guy you could eventually package (say 2 years from now when he only has 2 years left on his deal).  

33 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Here's Woj on Porter from this week:

Wojnarowski added, “All I’ve heard from Denver is Michael Porter Jr., every day in the gym, has been outstanding. They think he’s going to be really, really good. That team…If he helps that team next year, don’t forget about the Nuggets [as contenders]. They have depth and that’s a really good team.”  

https://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/espn-raves-about-mpj-20190617a

I don't know how one can say neither Bol nor Porter have star potential anymore.  That would be like saying Embiid didn't have star potential after his sit out year for the Sixers.  Porter and Bol have longer odds of hitting than they did entering their FR year of college, but the star potential is still there for both.  And the Nuggets' history of luring FAs is decidedly Bullsian.  So that leaves find the guy in-house, or find the guy via trade - and having high upside assets certainly helps get a trade for a star done.  

Porter had multiple back surgeries before he was 20 and has barely played basketball in 2 years, and never played college basketball at as high a level as Embiid did at Kansas before getting injured.

Bol had a foot injury, which is already hard for a big, and needs to add weight to his frame. He's not athletic enough to switch on the perimeter, so he'll largely be a gimmicky offensive player - maybe a good one, but in order for them to be stars they need to prove a whole lot more than they have, including staying healthy.

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Will be interesting if they still go for Brogdon. I really think I'm just going for some good, hard working vets, who can be good mentors for the young players and work well with Boylan and the staff (i.e., Beverly and Taj). They make the team better in the near term, help young players grow, and don't take too much opportunity for those young players, while leaving long-term flexibility in space (and ensuring the franchise can pivot if and when potential stars come available via FA and trade).  

However, I do get it if they go with Brogdon and than just figure they have one max spot in two years and presume Brogdon is a quality guy who helps bring franchise back to respectable levels. The reality is the Bulls aren't going to get any major player to show up without them reaching "respectable" levels from a W/L perspective.  I just don't know that I tie up that much cap with Brogdon who is a good player but with much more muted upside, but I also presume, he'd be the type of guy you could eventually package (say 2 years from now when he only has 2 years left on his deal).  

I just think Brogdon adds defensive versatility, is a legit "3rd best guy on a championship team" imo, and could bring along white. If White is great, you can trade either Brogdon or Lavine for assets or an upgrade elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Oh no we wouldn't have money to go after premium free agents.

I don’t really want to blow our nut on Brogdon. 

Just now, Steve9347 said:

I don’t really want to blow our nut on Brogdon. 

If a star is ever amenable to actually joining the bulls, the bulls will know and can easily move porter and brogdon to open up requisite space, or Lavine. 

Maybe I'm way off, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost difference between Beverley and Brogdon is not all that large, at least per year.

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

Porter had multiple back surgeries before he was 20 and has barely played basketball in 2 years, and never played college basketball at as high a level as Embiid did at Kansas before getting injured.

Bol had a foot injury, which is already hard for a big, and needs to add weight to his frame. He's not athletic enough to switch on the perimeter, so he'll largely be a gimmicky offensive player - maybe a good one, but in order for them to be stars they need to prove a whole lot more than they have, including staying healthy.

Right - the odds of either reaching their potential is longer than it was when they were incoming FR.  But saying they don't have star potential anymore is just flat out incorrect.  The risk at 14 (Porter) and 44 (Bol) on a good, young roster is smart business from the Nuggets IMO.

ETA: Embiid had a stress fracture heading into the draft as well.  There was a lot of risk in his profile when the Sixers drafted him.  I'm not saying Bol or Porter will be stars.  Just that saying they no longer have that potential ignores a pretty recent example of a guy hitting his ceiling after an injury caused a draft slide (and a guy who still manages his minutes because of injury).

Edited by illinilaw08

Yeah, I'm still going after Brogdon. With White and Brogdon both having good size, you could really have a 3 guard rotation with White getting close to starters minutes. 

White could become a legit 6th man.

3 hours ago, Jake said:

Also from The Ringer:

So basically we drafted a PG who is great in the fast break but mediocre to bad in the half court (someone on twitter last night claimed he was one of the worst pg's in the country in the half court), and we have a coach who wants to play a brand of basketball that is more 1980 than 2019 (e.g., half court sets and focus on the post) when the roster is full of good jump shooters. 

I'm sure this season is going to be GREAT.

Edited by Jenksismyhero