southsider2k5

2018-2019 Official NBA thread

56 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Right - the odds of either reaching their potential is longer than it was when they were incoming FR.  But saying they don't have star potential anymore is just flat out incorrect.  The risk at 14 (Porter) and 44 (Bol) on a good, young roster is smart business from the Nuggets IMO.

ETA: Embiid had a stress fracture heading into the draft as well.  There was a lot of risk in his profile when the Sixers drafted him.  I'm not saying Bol or Porter will be stars.  Just that saying they no longer have that potential ignores a pretty recent example of a guy hitting his ceiling after an injury caused a draft slide (and a guy who still manages his minutes because of injury).

I'm not saying they don't have any star potential, we don't really know the ceilings of any player. But I just don't think this is a brilliant play of denver running laps around others. There are flaws and risks to these players outside of injuries.

And I brought up the foot injury because Embiid had a scary injury for a big man, but Bol has foot injuries and still needs to add about 40 lbs of muscle. And the draft slide of Embiid was ... 2 spots? He was third overall. Bol Bol was drafted 45th. There are questions in his ability beyond injuries.

42 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

So basically we drafted a PG who is great in the fast break but mediocre to bad in the half court (someone on twitter last night claimed he was one of the worst pg's in the country in the half court), and we have a coach who wants to play a brand of basketball that is more 1980 than 2019 (e.g., half court sets and focus on the post) when the roster is full of good jump shooters. 

I'm sure this season is going to be GREAT.

well yeah, he may not be that good his first year. But let's keep in mind, PG is the hardest position to grasp. Frosh point guards aren't just adjusting to more mature, physical players, but also a faster more complex offense which they are in charge of running. And White was doing that at a blue blood program in the premiere conference in college. And he was very successful.

Now he'll have to make another jump. But his ability allows him to be a force in transition game, but there is nothing that says he cannot learn how to manage his team with more experience in the half court. That he moves off ball shows he does have some feel for the flow, but he needs more reps. 

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not saying they don't have any star potential, we don't really know the ceilings of any player. But I just don't think this is a brilliant play of denver running laps around others. There are flaws and risks to these players outside of injuries.

And I brought up the foot injury because Embiid had a scary injury for a big man, but Bol has foot injuries and still needs to add about 40 lbs of muscle. And the draft slide of Embiid was ... 2 spots? He was third overall. Bol Bol was drafted 45th. There are questions in his ability beyond injuries.

You literally said that in the first response - and responding to that has been the crux of my side of our discussion here.

I'm also not saying that Denver is running laps around the field.  I'm saying that for Denver - what the team is now, and how they have historically done in free agency, I love their philosophy on Porter and Bol (full disclosure, I go to 10-15 Nuggets games a year).  Jokic is a first team All-NBA candidate (he was first team this year) with a really unique skillset.  Jamal Murray is really close to becoming that second star on a legit contender.  They have a solid group of role players (though they have a decision to make on Milsap).  Their question is - how do you get that third star.  And their process in the draft the last two years - as a 46 win team in the lottery in the Porter draft, and as a team with no picks in the Bol draft - were smart gambles under the circumstances.

6 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

So basically we drafted a PG who is great in the fast break but mediocre to bad in the half court (someone on twitter last night claimed he was one of the worst pg's in the country in the half court), and we have a coach who wants to play a brand of basketball that is more 1980 than 2019 (e.g., half court sets and focus on the post) when the roster is full of good jump shooters. 

I'm sure this season is going to be GREAT.

Boylen had the guys playing at a fast pace in that nice stretch of time that everyone was healthy. Boylen and Paxson have been saying all offseason they want a fast-paced offense focused on outside shooting.

23 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

hoiberg's finally getting his guys

On Reddit, someone said that we're finally ready for Hoiball 

• Like 1

Whites profiles were so great, gonna be fun rooting for these guys.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, bmags said:

I did not expect this turn of events:

We are now up to "He had ID and presented it but the officer didn't like the ID he presented, the officer pushed him first, and did so because he presented the ID in a 'very threatening kind of way'". 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We are now up to "He had ID and presented it but the officer didn't like the ID he presented, the officer pushed him first, and did so because he presented the ID in a 'very threatening kind of way'". 

The ID was presented so fast, it created a gust of wind that knocked the officers brain into his skull and gave him a concussion.

• Haha 2

Asik was removed from Bulls salary cap as a med exemption, adding another 3 million.

• Like 1

KC Johnson has made sure we all know that we are still not planning to sign anyone good, as we are onto the 2022 plan.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

KC Johnson has made sure we all know that we are still not planning to sign anyone good, as we are onto the 2022 plan.

I don't think this is a bad idea for the Bulls. Get short-term vets in now while keeping all the flexibility down the road (whether acquiring individuals via trade and/or free agency).  I am curious to see what they do with Brogdon.  He seemed to be the only guy that they might look at who could take up long-term cap space, otherwise I expect any deal is 2 years or less (i.e., for Taj or Beverly (looking less likely given how much demand their will be for his services).  

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Rumors are Kyrie Irving is signing with Brooklyn in the neighborhood of 4 years/141M

What would Knicks fans do if both Kyrie and KD sign with NJ?

24 minutes ago, Brian said:

What would Knicks fans do if both Kyrie and KD sign with NJ?

Be very confused as NJ no longer exists.

But jokes aside, they'll be extremely mad. Knicks fans still act like they own the city.

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Be very confused as NJ no longer exists.

But jokes aside, they'll be extremely mad. Knicks fans still act like they own the city.

I'll accept my fine. lol

That is how much the Nets mean to me. I'd take D'Angelo Russell over Kyrie though.

• Haha 1

What do you guys make of the Julius Randle rumors? 

Offensively it'd be fun, but that could get very ugly defensively. 

4 minutes ago, scs787 said:

What do you guys make of the Julius Randle rumors? 

Offensively it'd be fun, but that could get very ugly defensively. 

Haven’t seen any

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Haven’t seen any

I don't know how to work tge internets this morning, but Shams something or other with The Athletic reported it. 

That’s pretty interesting. It would be nice to have a reliable scorer off bench but wouldn’t want to devote half the available leftover cap to him. Rather toward wings/athletic forwards

I like Julius Randle but I don't necessarily love the fit. That said, WCJ is still very unproven and there are plenty of front-court minutes to go around. I'm presuming Randle will want more years than I'd like. If he would take a 3 yr deal which is really a 2+1 (where the team can do a buyout), I would be open to it. Don't love the idea of tying him up longer than that.  

Any reports on Bobby Portis? I know he wasn't happy when Bulls traded him but he's still made some recent references.  I would think Bulls might have some appetite to bring him back as a bench guy too (maybe his contract demands have came down).  Again, I'm not going longer than 2 years unless Bulls think they can get a big fish (and currently I don't see that happening, albeit, they now can from a cap perspective, now that they got the relief from Asik).  Could go all the way to a max for a Durant type players as long as they stretch Felicio and move one of Dunn/Valentine. Not proposing or saying any of it will happen though.

Paxson clearly wants to surround the Bulls young players with quality veterans and / or other good young players (who have a couple years in the league) in a push to get this team better so that they can be in a position where they can trade and or sign other free agents (once they've hit a point where they are at least back to being a playoff team). I think they recognize they can't do anything major until they hit that point and actually their overall roster design looks quite nice...but team as currently constructed is still way too young to be a playoff team, imo.  If they don't land some pretty darn good veterans, I would still expect them to be a lottery team (which might not be a bad thing given the new lottery structure).  

This will be my optimistic post of the day. I've bashed Dunn a lot this past season (after he surprised me a season ago...dude was playing great ball before he whacked his head on that dunk) but he did miss 30+ games last year.  With all of the injuries and the changes in style of play, he could be a guy that takes a big step forward with a good off-season. I wouldn't bet on it, but I could come up with good reasons why he had challenges last year.  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I like Julius Randle but I don't necessarily love the fit. That said, WCJ is still very unproven and there are plenty of front-court minutes to go around. I'm presuming Randle will want more years than I'd like. If he would take a 3 yr deal which is really a 2+1 (where the team can do a buyout), I would be open to it. Don't love the idea of tying him up longer than that.  

Any reports on Bobby Portis? I know he wasn't happy when Bulls traded him but he's still made some recent references.  I would think Bulls might have some appetite to bring him back as a bench guy too (maybe his contract demands have came down).  Again, I'm not going longer than 2 years unless Bulls think they can get a big fish (and currently I don't see that happening, albeit, they now can from a cap perspective, now that they got the relief from Asik).  Could go all the way to a max for a Durant type players as long as they stretch Felicio and move one of Dunn/Valentine. Not proposing or saying any of it will happen though.

Paxson clearly wants to surround the Bulls young players with quality veterans and / or other good young players (who have a couple years in the league) in a push to get this team better so that they can be in a position where they can trade and or sign other free agents (once they've hit a point where they are at least back to being a playoff team). I think they recognize they can't do anything major until they hit that point and actually their overall roster design looks quite nice...but team as currently constructed is still way too young to be a playoff team, imo.  If they don't land some pretty darn good veterans, I would still expect them to be a lottery team (which might not be a bad thing given the new lottery structure).  

One other thought, but if the Bulls land a Randle or Brogdon, as long as the contracts aren't overblown, those can be guys leveraged in sign & trades or deals with other squads to push the Bulls to the next level. To me the Bulls only chance at being a top flight squad is to have a lot of quality pieces who can develop into a quality team, with a portion of those pieces that can than be flipped for bigger fish.  I have confidence in front office doing the first part (I think Paxson knows how to build quality squads through the draft...the challenge is whether at that point, he can hit big on landing the star players necessary to make the team a true contender.  

I miss basketball so much...it has truly evolved into my favorite sport. Can't wait to watch some summer league. Might even see if I can take a road trip and bring the kids to watch some of the games.  Presume prices are more reasonable than an NBA game.  

There is a lot of cap space, but almost 40% of the league is free agents. 

If I could guess one position that will end up getting far less than they expected its the tweener, offensive 4s like Randle/Portis.

Maybe they will be way cheaper than we expected.

I do not understand why nba teams always bail out the richest, luckiest teams at the peak of their team building desperations at such low costs.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27068842/sources-lakers-ship-3-wiz-open-max-space

Like what? All of those dudes are terrible, you could have bought a 2nd round pick next year for less in cash, and you sent money? GTFO washington