southsider2k5

2018-2019 Official NBA thread

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

That is a particularly bad lineup of games, but you guys are too hung up on the only thing that matters is who wins the championship.

I'm pretty excited to see Orlando this year and whether Isaac's summer play was for real.

Milwaukee with Budenholzer could be dynamic, and jump into the top echelon. Pacers and heat are fine fodder of teams. They play hard, have fun players on both and are tough outs. Brooklyn and Memphis aare the only truly bad teams there, and even then maybe they rebound and JJJ will be good.

Definitely.  I picked up a partial season ticket package for the Nuggets this year.  Yeah, they aren't going to win a title, but they are just a really fun roster to watch.

10 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

The tank for Zion is on!

RJ Barrett please

1 hour ago, illinilaw08 said:

Definitely.  I picked up a partial season ticket package for the Nuggets this year.  Yeah, they aren't going to win a title, but they are just a really fun roster to watch.

They're probably a playoff team though. That offense is legit. Between Jokic, Murray, Harris, Barton, and Millsap, they have 5 guys who have the ability to be efficient 20 PPG scorers on less crowded teams. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

They're probably a playoff team though. That offense is legit. Between Jokic, Murray, Harris, Barton, and Millsap, they have 5 guys who have the ability to be efficient 20 PPG scorers on less crowded teams. 

Definitely should be a playoff team this year - they've missed by a single game each of the last two.  Also added IT (who can definitely carry bench units when he gets healthy) and Porter (really interesting potential piece long term once he gets healthy).

Point in all this being that the NBA has some really, really fun teams outside of Golden State and Houston.  Yeah, they might not be title contenders, but they play some entertaining basketball anyway.

33 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

The tank for Zion is on!

Sadly that would be the best possible outcome for this season (the 2019 #1 pick, not necessarily Zion)

4 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Definitely should be a playoff team this year - they've missed by a single game each of the last two.  Also added IT (who can definitely carry bench units when he gets healthy) and Porter (really interesting potential piece long term once he gets healthy).

Point in all this being that the NBA has some really, really fun teams outside of Golden State and Houston.  Yeah, they might not be title contenders, but they play some entertaining basketball anyway.

Yeah, given that we basically know who the champion is already, my goal is to be entertained. Lots of young talented teams like Denver that should at least be fun to watch. 

I guess what I mean is...

Every year the MLB season starts and you feel as tho every single team (sans Baltimore :p) has a legit chance. I mean, sure there are a handful of bottom feeders, this year we had teams like KC/DET/CHW/BAL that were pretty awful. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple NL teams maybe, but beyond that -- every single team starts the year out looking to put a playoff contender on the field and spark fire and win the series. That's friggin' cool. 

There's teams like NYY/BOS/HOU/LAD/CHC/CLE that have been consistent, but there's so much talent in teams like PHI/ATL/LAA/OAK/TBR etc. that every team has a chance. I even was thinking playoffs after the White Sox first 5 or so games this year (haha) and I'm already thinking of ways they can make the playoffs in 2019. 

In the NBA this doesn't exist and it makes it miserable to watch knowing that there is no hope. There is GSW/HOU/BOS/PHI as the main culprits who actually have a chance and PHI only because the east is so weak. Guess you could add TOR for that very reason as well. 

DEN/UTAH are cool teams and may be my favorite teams to observe this year and follow since they have such fun and complete squads, but when it comes down to it - do they really have a chance? As history has shown, no. 

I'm not sure how that problem is solved, but it sure makes NBA feel like a "toy" league in comparison to the MLB where competitive spirit lives on strongly. I love fantasy basketball, but the actual NBA I can do without... 

I adore++++ fantasy baseball and I actually really like the game that is MLB. I'll be an MLB fan until the day I die (most likely), but I've already grown out of the NBA (which used to be my number one sport by far). 

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I guess what I mean is...

Every year the MLB season starts and you feel as tho every single team (sans Baltimore :p) has a legit chance. I mean, sure there are a handful of bottom feeders, this year we had teams like KC/DET/CHW/BAL that were pretty awful. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple NL teams maybe, but beyond that -- every single team starts the year out looking to put a playoff contender on the field and spark fire and win the series. That's friggin' cool. 

There's teams like NYY/BOS/HOU/LAD/CHC/CLE that have been consistent, but there's so much talent in teams like PHI/ATL/LAA/OAK/TBR etc. that every team has a chance. I even was thinking playoffs after the White Sox first 5 or so games this year (haha) and I'm already thinking of ways they can make the playoffs in 2019. 

In the NBA this doesn't exist and it makes it miserable to watch knowing that there is no hope. There is GSW/HOU/BOS/PHI as the main culprits who actually have a chance and PHI only because the east is so weak. Guess you could add TOR for that very reason as well. 

DEN/UTAH are cool teams and may be my favorite teams to observe this year and follow since they have such fun and complete squads, but when it comes down to it - do they really have a chance? As history has shown, no. 

I'm not sure how that problem is solved, but it sure makes NBA feel like a "toy" league in comparison to the MLB where competitive spirit lives on strongly. I love fantasy basketball, but the actual NBA I can do without... 

I adore++++ fantasy baseball and I actually really like the game that is MLB. I'll be an MLB fan until the day I die (most likely), but I've already grown out of the NBA (which used to be my number one sport by far). 

You have every right to feel that way, but it really isn't true at all, and hasn't been for a while now. You can choose to acknowledge it or not, but there are slightly more than a handful of teams that are actively "rebuilding" in MLB and have ZERO intention of being competitive for multiple seasons at a time. This has been going on for a while now. Is that bad for baseball? You can certainly argue it is. But the fact remains it is very much happening in baseball right now.

Just now, Tony said:

You have every right to feel that way, but it really isn't true at all, and hasn't been for a while now. You can choose to acknowledge it or not, but there are slightly more than a handful of teams that are actively "rebuilding" in MLB and have ZERO intention of being competitive for multiple seasons at a time. This has been going on for a while now. Is that bad for baseball? You can certainly argue it is. But the fact remains it is very much happening in baseball right now.

I would find the NBA far more fun if I could legitimately convince myself there were 4 teams that had a chance at a title. Then you have the next 4 teams maybe having a chance to knock them out in a playoff series, and teams legitimately fighting for the 7-8 seeds, and so on, and those at least change up every year. When GSW developed their team, and you could say that they were a strong team but other teams had a chance to knock them off (one did), that was entertaining up through the end.  

Then they added the 2nd best player in the NBA to a team with the 3rd best player.

Now I cannot convince myself that more than 1 team has a chance at a title barring injury, and I hate rooting for injuries. But in order to have a competitive league, I have to root for either the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league, or better yet both of them, to get hurt for long stretches of the season and playoffs. That angers me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would find the NBA far more fun if I could legitimately convince myself there were 4 teams that had a chance at a title. Then you have the next 4 teams maybe having a chance to knock them out in a playoff series, and teams legitimately fighting for the 7-8 seeds, and so on, and those at least change up every year. When GSW developed their team, and you could say that they were a strong team but other teams had a chance to knock them off (one did), that was entertaining up through the end.  

Then they added the 2nd best player in the NBA to a team with the 3rd best player.

Now I cannot convince myself that more than 1 team has a chance at a title barring injury, and I hate rooting for injuries. But in order to have a competitive league, I have to root for either the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league, or better yet both of them, to get hurt for long stretches of the season and playoffs. That angers me.

I don't disagree, but just to be clear, my response had nothing to do with the NBA, as I agree it's a far less competitive league than MLB. I was just making the point that currently, every team in MLB doesn't have a legit shot like the previous poster said. 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

This has been happening since the 90s.   Clyde, Pippen and Barkley all went to houston to try and win a title with Hakeem

Weren't those guys like 65? 

21 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Weren't those guys like 65? 

They weren't young but it happened.  And i remember pretty clearly it was a big deal.  

The Bulls bringing in Rodman and Harper was a pretty big deal too 

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They weren't young but it happened.

Kinda apples to oranges though.

7 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Kinda apples to oranges though.

Is it?  The Celtics team up wasnt exactly young pups, Allen, Pierce and Garnett were 31-32.  Barkley and Pippen were 33 and Drexler was 32,

So the G League is going to offer potential one and dones a $125k contract. Skip college, turn pro,but not the NBA for at least a year. Make some cash. They can hire agents, and get endorsements. 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Is it?  The Celtics team up wasnt exactly young pups, Allen, Pierce and Garnett were 31-32.  Barkley and Pippen were 33 and Drexler was 32,

And that Celtics team had as hard of a run as any team we have ever seen. They went 6 or 7 games in every series and won thanks to home court advantage, they beat the Lakers in the finals, then the Lakers came back next year and beat them (that was the year with the epic Bulls/Celtics 7 game tribute to overtime first round). It was at least entertaining, it was competitive, you didn't know at the start of the year which team would win. Assembling star laden teams is one thing, the Warriors and the Heat are another (Maybe the '95-96 Bulls count in this but I recall it being an open question whether Rodman had anything left and whether he could play with that team until they went out and destroyed everyone. Ditto whether Mike would be back to his pre-retirement self.). 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So the G League is going to offer potential one and dones a $125k contract. Skip college, turn pro,but not the NBA for at least a year. Make some cash. They can hire agents, and get endorsements. 

What a horrifically stupid move if you're a true one and done. 

1) you're not worrying about attending much in terms of classes. 2) you're staying in private apartments with amazing amenities, 3) you're playing in packed arenas and on national tv, getting 10000 times more press/coverage than you would in the g-league, 4) you're banging your way through the school's top female options as a king of the campus and 5) you don't have to deal with any of the bullshit travel/hotel/per diem crap of playing in a semi-pro league that few people pay attention to.

Oh, and you're probably still making $125k or more personally and your family is getting taken care of. Endorsements will be there when you make the jump. 

2 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

What a horrifically stupid move if you're a true one and done. 

1) you're not worrying about attending much in terms of classes. 2) you're staying in private apartments with amazing amenities, 3) you're playing in packed arenas and on national tv, getting 10000 times more press/coverage than you would in the g-league, 4) you're banging your way through the school's top female options as a king of the campus and 5) you don't have to deal with any of the bullshit travel/hotel/per diem crap of playing in a semi-pro league that few people pay attention to.

Oh, and you're probably still making $125k or more personally and your family is getting taken care of. Endorsements will be there when you make the jump. 

If you're coming from a background where your family doesn't have money, that $125k could make a big difference in your entire family's lives.

37 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Garnett was traded there. He didn't just decide to team up with them. And I was mostly talking about LeBron (and Durant) joining up in his physical prime.

37 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Garnett was traded there. He didn't just decide to team up with them. And I was mostly talking about LeBron (and Durant) joining up in his physical prime.

It wasn't really that specific though, he just asked if Lebron was to blame for super teams 

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It wasn't really that specific though, he just asked if Lebron was to blame for super teams 

Well.. then I'll jist say live by the sword LeBron...

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If you're coming from a background where your family doesn't have money, that $125k could make a big difference in your entire family's lives.

That and the FBI coming down on the NCAA.