2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Just now, Tony said:

You have every right to feel that way, but it really isn't true at all, and hasn't been for a while now. You can choose to acknowledge it or not, but there are slightly more than a handful of teams that are actively "rebuilding" in MLB and have ZERO intention of being competitive for multiple seasons at a time. This has been going on for a while now. Is that bad for baseball? You can certainly argue it is. But the fact remains it is very much happening in baseball right now.

I would find the NBA far more fun if I could legitimately convince myself there were 4 teams that had a chance at a title. Then you have the next 4 teams maybe having a chance to knock them out in a playoff series, and teams legitimately fighting for the 7-8 seeds, and so on, and those at least change up every year. When GSW developed their team, and you could say that they were a strong team but other teams had a chance to knock them off (one did), that was entertaining up through the end.  

Then they added the 2nd best player in the NBA to a team with the 3rd best player.

Now I cannot convince myself that more than 1 team has a chance at a title barring injury, and I hate rooting for injuries. But in order to have a competitive league, I have to root for either the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league, or better yet both of them, to get hurt for long stretches of the season and playoffs. That angers me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Weren't those guys like 65? 

They weren't young but it happened.  And i remember pretty clearly it was a big deal.  

The Bulls bringing in Rodman and Harper was a pretty big deal too 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Is it?  The Celtics team up wasnt exactly young pups, Allen, Pierce and Garnett were 31-32.  Barkley and Pippen were 33 and Drexler was 32,

And that Celtics team had as hard of a run as any team we have ever seen. They went 6 or 7 games in every series and won thanks to home court advantage, they beat the Lakers in the finals, then the Lakers came back next year and beat them (that was the year with the epic Bulls/Celtics 7 game tribute to overtime first round). It was at least entertaining, it was competitive, you didn't know at the start of the year which team would win. Assembling star laden teams is one thing, the Warriors and the Heat are another (Maybe the '95-96 Bulls count in this but I recall it being an open question whether Rodman had anything left and whether he could play with that team until they went out and destroyed everyone. Ditto whether Mike would be back to his pre-retirement self.). 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So the G League is going to offer potential one and dones a $125k contract. Skip college, turn pro,but not the NBA for at least a year. Make some cash. They can hire agents, and get endorsements. 

What a horrifically stupid move if you're a true one and done. 

1) you're not worrying about attending much in terms of classes. 2) you're staying in private apartments with amazing amenities, 3) you're playing in packed arenas and on national tv, getting 10000 times more press/coverage than you would in the g-league, 4) you're banging your way through the school's top female options as a king of the campus and 5) you don't have to deal with any of the bullshit travel/hotel/per diem crap of playing in a semi-pro league that few people pay attention to.

Oh, and you're probably still making $125k or more personally and your family is getting taken care of. Endorsements will be there when you make the jump. 

2 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

What a horrifically stupid move if you're a true one and done. 

1) you're not worrying about attending much in terms of classes. 2) you're staying in private apartments with amazing amenities, 3) you're playing in packed arenas and on national tv, getting 10000 times more press/coverage than you would in the g-league, 4) you're banging your way through the school's top female options as a king of the campus and 5) you don't have to deal with any of the bullshit travel/hotel/per diem crap of playing in a semi-pro league that few people pay attention to.

Oh, and you're probably still making $125k or more personally and your family is getting taken care of. Endorsements will be there when you make the jump. 

If you're coming from a background where your family doesn't have money, that $125k could make a big difference in your entire family's lives.

37 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Is it?  The Celtics team up wasnt exactly young pups, Allen, Pierce and Garnett were 31-32.  Barkley and Pippen were 33 and Drexler was 32,

Garnett was traded there. He didn't just decide to team up with them. And I was mostly talking about LeBron (and Durant) joining up in his physical prime.

37 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Garnett was traded there. He didn't just decide to team up with them. And I was mostly talking about LeBron (and Durant) joining up in his physical prime.

It wasn't really that specific though, he just asked if Lebron was to blame for super teams 

5 hours ago, Tony said:

You have every right to feel that way, but it really isn't true at all, and hasn't been for a while now. You can choose to acknowledge it or not, but there are slightly more than a handful of teams that are actively "rebuilding" in MLB and have ZERO intention of being competitive for multiple seasons at a time. This has been going on for a while now. Is that bad for baseball? You can certainly argue it is. But the fact remains it is very much happening in baseball right now.

It's happening more now than it has in the past for sure...

But I mean, 2 years ago we saw a strong Toronto team go up against an Indians team for the ALCS. We had the Cubs first world series that year. 

In 2015 we had KC vs. NYM as the world series, with the pirates, rangers, cubs all playing a role in the playoffs.

In 2014 we had SF win, with Baltimore, OAK, PITTS, Detroit all in the playoffs.

In baseball, anything can happen and that's the fun of it. You hope for the best as a fan. You just can't do that in the NBA... sure more teams make the playoffs but hte first round of NBA playoffs is often a joke. 

You are right tho -- more teams are going all in on tanking these days in MLB which I am very much aware of :(. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Parker and LaVine are “young” but are vets to are actual young players. I hate the effort they are learning from them on defense. 

Lavine is 23 years old. Young players don't play good defense in the NBA. It takes time. Young teams don't win in the NBA either. Those are both very statistical facts.  

A team with Lavine, Payne, and Portis in the starting lineup is going to give up a lot of points. Parker is going to give up a lot of points too.  Dunn coming back will help and it is only one game as will having Lauri back in time. Plus, your so called 2nd best defender (Carter Jr.) is still a rookie.  

This is why most of the analytics presume the Bulls will still be bad. I bet you Pax already knows they will be bad, he's just not thinking it is "tanking" because they are playing guys who they expect to be here over the long haul (vs. having more guys who they are trying to literally "bench"). They will try to win...but the massive incapabilities of the team to play defense (due to a heavy combination of youth/inexperience + some just bad defensive players) will very much prevent them from winning a lot of games.  

It isn't a tank, because I do believe the Bulls front office legitimately thinks Carter Jr, Lavine, Dunn, and Mark are all core building blocks of the franchise (you just aren't going to win yet with them). Note, I didn't say any of them were stars...but core building blocks.  Based upon the extension talks, you can probably put Portis in that mix.  If you add another high draft pick (which I expect they will get) plus some free agency additions (which I think they'll get some...maybe not a "Durant" but I think in the next 2 years they will spend some money)...than we'll see.  Missing Mark for an extended time will also help in terms of maximizing the draft pick.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Lavine is 23 years old. Young players don't play good defense in the NBA. It takes time. Young teams don't win in the NBA either. Those are both very statistical facts.  

I see a lot of young players play much better defense than LaVine. His youth is a crutch.