Jump to content
southsider2k5

2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Hutchinson needs more minutes and should be guarding Harden the majority of the time, not Holiday 

He's starting to play a lot better as of late. Been nice to see. Capella was a monster defensively and really shut down Lavine on a number of what would have been "easy" layups.  They fought hard but have a few guys that are just awful defenders who don't switch. Some of this could also just be they aren't used to the new defensive scheme they are running this year.

What I like is how Hutchinson and Carter have the chance to both be very good defenders.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think rooting for a tank is gonna leave you disappointed.  When all of the injured players come back I think they will be far better than what we see now. And unfortunately it will put them square in NBA hell but whatever 

When I say tank loss, I mean any loss they can get right now is good because it hopefully improves their draft pick. Unless injuries linger or they have really bad luck, its hard to imagine the Bulls will end with one of the worst 5 records. 

And the Bulls arent really in NBA hell. Carter, Lauri, Lavine seem to be at worst really solid pieces. Hutchison looks to have some athletic ability as well. They need to try and find a SF/SG/PG superstar, if they really want to take it to the next level. But if GS loses Durant or Thompson next year, the Bulls could be a lot closer than I could have ever imagined a few months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Jabari Parker was worth taking a chance on. Hooooo boy was I off-base on that. I don't even know what he's supposed to be good at when I watch him. At least he's not a team cancer and it's good that next year is a team option so he's not crippling the cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lostfan said:

I thought Jabari Parker was worth taking a chance on. Hooooo boy was I off-base on that. I don't even know what he's supposed to be good at when I watch him. At least he's not a team cancer and it's good that next year is a team option so he's not crippling the cap.

He really would have thrived in that early 2000s period where every team just had one "star" they built around and let play iso offense while allowing them to ignore defense.

He definitely made more now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bmags said:

He really would have thrived in that early 2000s period where every team just had one "star" they built around and let play iso offense while allowing them to ignore defense.

He definitely made more now though.

This is going to sound absurd, but Parker's game reminds me of James Harden. He loves that top of the key iso-game. The problem is, he just isn't "James Harden". Not as good of a shooter and not as good of a distributor, but I do see similarities to how they play the game. I actually think Parker has a lot more upside than I originally thought because I think he's got a lot of individual talent and you can see he has been getting quicker as the season goes in (bad sign about the off-season work he put in).  

Now hopefully people understand what I'm trying to say with the above...and don't overreact as I'm not saying he is or will ever be James Harden.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is going to sound absurd, but Parker's game reminds me of James Harden. He loves that top of the key iso-game. The problem is, he just isn't "James Harden". Not as good of a shooter and not as good of a distributor, but I do see similarities to how they play the game. I actually think Parker has a lot more upside than I originally thought because I think he's got a lot of individual talent and you can see he has been getting quicker as the season goes in (bad sign about the off-season work he put in).  

Now hopefully people understand what I'm trying to say with the above...and don't overreact as I'm not saying he is or will ever be James Harden.  

lol Jason said Jabari Parker is as good as James Harden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lostfan said:

lol Jason said Jabari Parker is as good as James Harden

Hahaha.  The problem is there is a fine line between being James Harden and an inefficient chucker. The fact that Harden can get to the line and be so efficient (plus be a pretty effective creator) is so unique. If he was just a little less good at any of those areas...or all three, it is a huge difference between being who he is and being an inefficient chucker.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Parker could work out well as a 6th man when Lauri comes back. When hes on the floor with starters he sometimes takes up too much ball time, but on a second unit that would be fine. 

Parker would also work better if there were a few other less selfish players. But guys like Cam Payne seem to also take up too much time on the ball, so the problem seems to exacerbate when they are on the floor together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Parker would also work better if there were a few other less selfish players. But guys like Cam Payne seem to also take up too much time on the ball, so the problem seems to exacerbate when they are on the floor together. 

He would work much better with Arcidiacono for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He would work much better with Arcidiacono for sure. 

Arci has played surprisingly decent this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoiberg's biggest flaw is minute distribution. The only way Id forgive him if he was intentionally trying to lose but make it seem like they werent.

Payne and Holiday take too many shots when better options are on the floor. 

Hutchison is pretty good going to his right, I dont think Ive seen him drive to his left. In a strange way his drives remind me of Pippen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Hutchison needs more minutes, Parker needs fewer. And LaVine needs to stop being so passive early in games. 

Hutchison should  be taking minutes from Payne or Holiday. Parkers minutes are fine while Lauri is out.

Parker reminds me of of Anthony Mason on offense. Sometimes he gets a little selfish but he can bring the ball up the court and can actually be a decent passer.

I definitely can see a role for him backing up Lauri and Carter, as well as an offensive option for the second unit.

The only thing redeeming thing i saw that Payne did the entire game was sprint back on defense 1 time. Him and Holiday shoot way too much. Holiday's defense was solid though.

I also cant really figure out what they are doing on defense. They seem to just randomly run all over the place.

If Hoiberg can't figure out minute distribution now, i worry when they are at full strength. Long season but to me that is what will determine if he should be back next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about Parker's role on the Bulls. If he doesn't pan out at SF, he's as good as gone next season, no reason to pay $20 Mil for a backup PF with defensive issues.

As for how the season is playing out, I love what I seen from WCJ so far, he may not end up being elite in any one aspect but could be a very well rounded C for years to come. Him pairing up with Lauri will be interesting to watch.

Lavine has been good at shot making, but he really needs to be a better ball handler and distributor if he's going to be a #1 option (which I dont think he should be)

Hutch/Arci has been great energy players off the bench, hope they could continue to grow into better role players or even starters, esp for Hutch.

And now that Felicio is getting his burn again, maybe he plays his contract into tradeable? I would really hope so...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't really say at this point WCJ can't be elite (which I will say is top 15).

He has incredibly high bball IQ, he has good post moves, and he has been able to guard guards much better than I expected.

And he's only 19. To become elite, he would need a big leap, but I don't see anything that limits him from a massive jump. It requires luck and is rare, but I think it's more likely WCJ becomes an excellent offensive player than Lavine becomes a good defender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about Parker's role on the Bulls. If he doesn't pan out at SF, he's as good as gone next season, no reason to pay $20 Mil for a backup PF with defensive issues.

As for how the season is playing out, I love what I seen from WCJ so far, he may not end up being elite in any one aspect but could be a very well rounded C for years to come. Him pairing up with Lauri will be interesting to watch.

Lavine has been good at shot making, but he really needs to be a better ball handler and distributor if he's going to be a #1 option (which I dont think he should be)

Hutch/Arci has been great energy players off the bench, hope they could continue to grow into better role players or even starters, esp for Hutch.

And now that Felicio is getting his burn again, maybe he plays his contract into tradeable? I would really hope so...

 

Glad you mentioned Felicio. He is in much better shape this year and I do hope this burn helps make him a bit more tradeable.  I think its going to take prolonged run of decent play though, before you can move him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really worried about Felicio's contract. Next year Lopez is gone, so paying Felicio 9mil isnt going to really hurt anyone.

Right now the focus needs to be on who to try and target in FA. Durant or Leonard would be the dreams, but I think the Bulls should target Thompson after those 2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*whispers* hey guys I think if we end up getting the number one pick this year we may end up pretty good*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cost i can't say, but bill simmons is saying rozier wants out of boston and boy would it be great to bump cam payne out of my life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crap it took me only a few hours to forget that I was on team tank after watching some of Duke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmags said:

Crap it took me only a few hours to forget that I was on team tank after watching some of Duke.

What’s it like watching those 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

What’s it like watching those 2?

You know those early bball games can always be a little misleading, defenses get a lot better in conference play and all that. But this isn't the typical "100% turnover" freshman roster of kentucky, and everything was just so easy. They look like they could be an all time college team, but obviously we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 11:55 AM, Soxbadger said:

Not really worried about Felicio's contract. Next year Lopez is gone, so paying Felicio 9mil isnt going to really hurt anyone.

Right now the focus needs to be on who to try and target in FA. Durant or Leonard would be the dreams, but I think the Bulls should target Thompson after those 2.

 

I would be surprised if Klay ever played an NBA game for a team other than the warriors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×