2018-2019 Official NBA thread

Would be great if the fucking bench players would have involved Lauri. Pathetic job getting him involved. Was great seeing him back though and you could already see better spacing for Levine. Lauri sets good screens and just knows how to play ball. Still rusty but man the bulls didn’t ever give him the ball when he had a beneficial switch. 

By the way have I ever mentioned how much I don’t like watching Blakeny. Probably one of my all time least favorite bulls. Such a ball hog. 

I think even in optimal circumstances hoiberg probably wouldn't have been a top ten coach, as when the offense looked beautiful it has been questionable how coach or player driven it has been (See mirotic), but that said every year the front office undercut what hoiberg is good at for players they find talented. 

A truly good coach could have made some of the pieces work better, but why hire hoiberg if you don't want his system?

Giving a guy who wants to space and shoot threes a team of butler, wade and rondo was hilarious, then refusing to find him a point guard that can push pace and shoot even better. Then, give him a bunch of ball dominant forwards and wings that don't feel need to play defense. That's definitely fred's dream.

If you were a good coach, why would you want to join a front office that will undercut you at every step of the way?

There is no questioning the signings haven't been ideal to fit Hoiberg's system but this shouldn't be surprising whatsoever.  The Bulls show no effort on defense, Stacey King wants to explode calling these games.

If you do not have the talent to score and keep up with these elite offenses, you better slow the game down and play a little D, they have not shown they could do this under Hoiberg.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

2 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Fan base: Fire Hoiberg!

Fan base after Hoiberg is fired: This is bullshit!

There are a lot of bulls fans, and I think you are just hearing two different sides. But, if you were gonna fire fred, you should have fired him before season, or after he had chance with his actual roster. F

Just now, Chi Town Sox said:

There is no questioning the signings haven't been ideal to fit Hoiberg's system but this shouldn't be surprising whatsoever.  The Bulls show no effort on defense, Stacey King is going to have to pass out most of the time.  

If you do not have the talent to score and keep up with these elite offenses, you better slow the game down and play a little D, they have not shown they could do this under Hoiberg.

Hoiberg actually did do this after GS game. They just have a roster collection of some of the worst defensive players in the league. Sorry, you aren't going to convince antonio blakeney to focus on defense.

7 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Fan base: Fire Hoiberg!

Fan base after Hoiberg is fired: This is bullshit!

Who said it was bullshit?   Hoiberg is part of a larger problem here but he sucked.  Jimmy cut his nuts off and he never recovered.  Dude was getting paid like a top coach and he simply wasn't one

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

There are a lot of bulls fans, and I think you are just hearing two different sides. But, if you were gonna fire fred, you should have fired him before season, or after he had chance with his actual roster. F

100% agreed that the timing is atrocious, it's just funny to me because on Reddit/RealGM people have wanted him canned since Jimmy.

Now he's gone and people are mad that he was fired in a (admittedly extremely shitty) manner.

4 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

100% agreed that the timing is atrocious, it's just funny to me because on Reddit/RealGM people have wanted him canned since Jimmy.

Now he's gone and people are mad that he was fired in a (admittedly extremely shitty) manner.

Making any move because the fans want it would be the dumbest thing ever though.

You said it yourself.  The timing is absolutely atrocious and just highlights how shitty and dysfunctional the org is.   The idiots that hired the terrible coach need to very obviously be fired.  Why aren't they listening to the fans on that one??  Oh yeah, because it's a shitty organization...

They just need to keep losing and get a top 3 pick and not fuck it up.  That's really the only saving grace of all of this...as long as they can actually develop the young talent.

I thought Hoiberg did as good of a job as possible of handling the mess he was handed last year. I haven't cared enough to watch any games this year but probably would have sat down for one over XMas break if one was on. I won't be overly upset but agree with others that this is cutting off a rotten branch from a tree dying at the roots.

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Who said it was bullshit?   Hoiberg is part of a larger problem here but he sucked.  Jimmy cut his nuts off and he never recovered.  Dude was getting paid like a top coach and he simply wasn't one

14 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I thought Hoiberg did as good of a job as possible of handling the mess he was handed last year. I haven't cared enough to watch any games this year but probably would have sat down for one over XMas break if one was on. I won't be overly upset but agree with others that this is cutting off a rotten branch from a tree dying at the roots.

Its not about wins or losses, its about how the team is playing. When you watch the Bulls its horrific. There is 0 accountability on the offense or defensive end. On the defensive end, I dont even know what the scheme is besides for running frantically at every player who has the ball, until the other team gets a wide open look. 

The timing isnt that bad. My guess is that the Lauri game was the final straw. You had bench warmers refusing to get your best player involved. When you watch the Bulls you see times when Blakeney shoots like every possession and doesnt even try and get Carter involved. That type of shit cant be tolerated if you really want these guys to improve and develop. 

This was the first year in a long time Ive watched the Bulls (Ive actually seen every minute sadly) and I just couldnt understand Hoiberg at all. Im fine if your tanking and losing on purpose, but at minimum you have to be helping to develop your young players.

One of the biggest concerns happened early in the season with Cam Payne. He was starting and playing like 20+ minutes every game. Then all of a sudden Arci starts playing (who has been a great surprise) and Cam doest even get a minute. How can someone go from a starter to 0 minutes, unless you clearly just have no clue about the talent level of the guys. 

Hoiberg had his chance this year, they were beyond patient. 

9 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Its not about wins or losses, its about how the team is playing. When you watch the Bulls its horrific. There is 0 accountability on the offense or defensive end. On the defensive end, I dont even know what the scheme is besides for running frantically at every player who has the ball, until the other team gets a wide open look. 

The timing isnt that bad. My guess is that the Lauri game was the final straw. You had bench warmers refusing to get your best player involved. When you watch the Bulls you see times when Blakeney shoots like every possession and doesnt even try and get Carter involved. That type of shit cant be tolerated if you really want these guys to improve and develop. 

This was the first year in a long time Ive watched the Bulls (Ive actually seen every minute sadly) and I just couldnt understand Hoiberg at all. Im fine if your tanking and losing on purpose, but at minimum you have to be helping to develop your young players.

One of the biggest concerns happened early in the season with Cam Payne. He was starting and playing like 20+ minutes every game. Then all of a sudden Arci starts playing (who has been a great surprise) and Cam doest even get a minute. How can someone go from a starter to 0 minutes, unless you clearly just have no clue about the talent level of the guys. 

Hoiberg had his chance this year, they were beyond patient. 

And Jabari Parker was also a SF. When I see stuff like that I see Fred trying to show the front office that the player they said is worth developing sucks, and once he proves it moves on to the next guy. He also had parker play SF for 3 preseason games before moving on, after all summer Forman and Paxson saying he could play SF. People not payed could see that was false, but Hoiberg had to play along for a bit.

Everything in your second paragraph is team construction. Fred likes pace, moving the ball, three pointers. He has no point guard that can play with pace, a bunch of ball dominant players that love mid range jumpers.

They actually have tried schemes on defense, Parker doesn't know them. Lavine gets lost too often. The only good player is WCJ.

You couldn't put a worse basketball iq team together than the 2018 bulls without lauri/dunn.

Hoiberg was just not respected at all. Dude is a brilliant offensive mind, but his defensive schemes were pretty much non existent and you can tell was not a leader, especially with a young team. It is essential Paxton hires the right guy for this young team. It just sucks young guys like LaVine for example have to learn yet ANOTHER system though.

Edited by SoxAce