2018-2019 Official NBA thread

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

As Jimmy Bucket's #1 fan, I find it interesting that Boylan and Buckets reportedly had dinner yesterday.  I'm sure it was more the two of them catching up than anything to do with the Bulls making a play to bring Jimmy back. 

Jimmy would have made more sense if they didn't trade for Porter. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Jimmy would have made more sense if they didn't trade for Porter. 

They could always flip Porter elsewhere (say in a Conley Jr. deal).   That said, Buckets can play point guard a bit and Porter can defend the 3 and in the modern NBA can also play the 4 a bit as well.  It isn't a normal lineup but if you had Butler, Lavine, Porter, Mark, and Carter Jr, you should be a pretty good defensive team and you have a number of guys who can bring up the ball (albeit no natural point guard).  I won't project championships with that roster and I could see it being challenging at times, but I could also see it working and being pretty solid (and from there you hope the younger guys grow and / or you eventually deal a few of the other players for another star via trade).  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They could always flip Porter elsewhere (say in a Conley Jr. deal).   That said, Buckets can play point guard a bit and Porter can defend the 3 and in the modern NBA can also play the 4 a bit as well.  It isn't a normal lineup but if you had Butler, Lavine, Porter, Mark, and Carter Jr, you should be a pretty good defensive team and you have a number of guys who can bring up the ball (albeit no natural point guard).  I won't project championships with that roster and I could see it being challenging at times, but I could also see it working and being pretty solid (and from there you hope the younger guys grow and / or you eventually deal a few of the other players for another star via trade).  

Add Patrick Beverly on the room MLE and you increase your depth a lot. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think you need to get rid of Dunn, but it sure would be interesting.

The key there is if Jimmy is a bull stopper again or if he'll play in the flow of the offense and only take over when needed.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

It's frustrating seeing how fluid Reddish moves and shoots, then remembering how he played in college.

Perhaps playing 3rd fiddle to Zion and Barrett limited him a  bit somehow.  To me he's a no brainer at 7 IF he's there. 

I've seen him listed as a SG/SF so i would assume he's capable of keeping up with 2's. Having a guy like that would do wonders for the bench. A true 6th man who could get 30+ min a night especially when you throw in the versatility of Lavine. 

Speaking of versatility, why is no one talking about Brogdon???

You could do a lot with a team that has Brogdon, Lavine, Porter and Reddish. 

We saw last year that Lavine could potentially take minutes at point.

2 minutes ago, 2nd_city_saint787 said:

Perhaps playing 3rd fiddle to Zion and Barrett limited him a  bit somehow.  To me he's a no brainer at 7 IF he's there. 

I've seen him listed as a SG/SF so i would assume he's capable of keeping up with 2's. Having a guy like that would do wonders for the bench. A true 6th man who could get 30+ min a night especially when you throw in the versatility of Lavine. 

People are talking about Brogdon, especially here.

I'd let Reddish learn behind Porter and would be thrilled if he dropped but I kinda think Lakers are going to grab him.

I think I see it as:

1. Pels - Zion

2. Grizz - Morant

3. Knicks - Barrett (assuming they pick, but I see Barrett going either 2 or 3, or Morant 2 or 3)

4. Lakers - Reddish (I think Lebron is going to make this happen)

5. Cavs - weakest one, I am not sure, gonna say Hunter

6. Suns - Garland

7. Bulls - Culver

I'm starting to fall back on White and I don't know why except people like KOC have him really low. I like the idea of a PG who pushes pace and let Lauri run in transition. I think my top possibilities are

1. Reddish

2. Garland

3. Hunter

4. Culver

5. White

6. Little

6 minutes ago, 2nd_city_saint787 said:

@bmags and I talked about Brogdon-Reddish above. The Bulls are supposedly confident that they can sign Brogdon.

If they truly are, then I think they should take the flier on Reddish and then hope Gafford falls to them in the second round. Sign Arci.

If you can trade Dunn, then you may have the cap + MLE to sign Beverley and Taj after Brogdon. It'd be tight and I haven't checked it on the capulator, but possible.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

People are talking about Brogdon, especially here.

I'd let Reddish learn behind Porter and would be thrilled if he dropped but I kinda think Lakers are going to grab him.

I think I see it as:

1. Pels - Zion

2. Grizz - Morant

3. Knicks - Barrett (assuming they pick, but I see Barrett going either 2 or 3, or Morant 2 or 3)

4. Lakers - Reddish (I think Lebron is going to make this happen)

5. Cavs - weakest one, I am not sure, gonna say Hunter

6. Suns - Garland

7. Bulls - Culver

I'm starting to fall back on White and I don't know why except people like KOC have him really low. I like the idea of a PG who pushes pace and let Lauri run in transition. I think my top possibilities are

1. Reddish

2. Garland

3. Hunter

4. Culver

5. White

6. Little

You beat me to mentioning the Brogdon-Reddish combo.

Supposedly the Lakers are the Garland promise (which is weird at #4). If that happened, I see the Suns taking White. 

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

You beat me to mentioning the Brogdon-Reddish combo.

Supposedly the Lakers are the Garland promise (which is weird at #4). If that happened, I see the Suns taking White. 

I saw that, I honestly don't buy it. It would not take much to get Garland to skip combine. I'm sure as soon as he got some feedback he is top ten, there's no point in doing more.

It feels like Lebron is going to see Reddish in a workout, and supposedly NBA players are super high on Reddish/Barrett/Zion, they were all tops on AAU circuit compared to some of the soph guys that developed.

Sorry I've just been skimming. Haven't heard the Bulls are confident they can bring Brogdon in and that's got me excited. Things don't always happen that way but i do agree with you guys that a Brogdon/Reddish combo would be huge. 

If Lavine can become a more consistent 3 point shooter, that's a very "Rangey" team. Same for WCJ. 

2 hours ago, Quin said:

@bmags and I talked about Brogdon-Reddish above. The Bulls are supposedly confident that they can sign Brogdon.

Sorry I've been out of the loop, but where did you hear this? I feel like Brogdon is gonna get paid way more than people are expecting. 

34 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Sorry I've been out of the loop, but where did you hear this? I feel like Brogdon is gonna get paid way more than people are expecting. 

Quoted the article on the last page, but KC Johnson mentions it in an article:  https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-point-guard-nba-draft-trade-free-agency-20190518-story.html

If the Bulls waive and stretch Felicio and can get Asik's cap hit removed (like they have asked the league) and renounce every FA, they get $27M in cap space. Without Asik, it's $24M. I think they could put $21M on the table and that would be enough to scare off the Bucks.

Yeesh, I love Brogdon's versatility but 28 to Porter, 18 to Lavine and 21 to Brogdon is a lot of money to some players. I think I'd rather have collison around 10-12.

Brogdon had his lunch eaten up by Lowry last game.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeesh, I love Brogdon's versatility but 28 to Porter, 18 to Lavine and 21 to Brogdon is a lot of money to some players. I think I'd rather have collison around 10-12.

Brogdon had his lunch eaten up by Lowry last game.

Only reason I'd do this is because Porter is up in two years. But man, just went and looked at the Bucks situation in Capulator...it's not fun.

You assume they re-sign Middleton to a max, which is $32M. Bledsoe's 4 year, 70M contract needs to be added.

Then they have a non-guaranteed Hill at $18M, which will likely be waived. 

Mirotic and Brogdon will have bird rights, but likely asking for a lot. Brook is already a FA.

Before resigning any of those three, they're $6M above the cap. Assume they need one of Lopez or Mirotic. Let's say Lopez is nice and goes with the MLE, that puts them at 11M above the cap.

After actually crunching the numbers, maybe LaVine's $18M deal could be enough to get Brogdon, unless the Bucks want to be a painful $27M over the cap.

39 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agreed. I think he gets way more than that, though. Like, 4/80+. He's the kind of guy front offices love

I just keep thinking about how well LaVine - Porter - Markkanen played with Arci on the floor, then realize that Brogdon is basically MegaArci. 

It's a lot of money now, but the cap keeps going up + Porter and Felicio will be gone in two years, so Lauri will be taken care of then. 

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agreed. I think he gets way more than that, though. Like, 4/80+. He's the kind of guy front offices love

Yeah probably. He will definitely be popular but I don’t know how many want to pay him like a top player on the time.

11 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

I will be in Toronto for game 6 saturday. Tickets are lookin like $260+ so I'll probably be hanging out in Jurassic Park. 

Should be a good time either way. 

Sounds awesome. Toronto is a really fun sports town.

That series has been great. I'm still hoping Giannis pulls it out but Raptors deserve it, I love how Ujiri is relentless in trying to build out a winner.