southsider2k5

2018-2019 Official NBA thread

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How do you define "Pretty good"?

Is this team 1 tolerable PG away from competing for the 8-9 slot? Probably not. Could they compete for the 8-9 slot with a tolerable PG, better health, and improvement from WCJ and Lauri? Maybe, but am I likely to bet on good health and good development from this Bulls organization and coaching staff?

Is Mike Conley a tolerable PG or one of the better PG's in the league. I guess that is the question.  

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is Mike Conley a tolerable PG or one of the better PG's in the league. I guess that is the question.  

Conley I still think is really good, but it's obviously tough to narrow down "top ten" when we can't really decide on whether we count players like Harden as PGs.

But the bulls depth is very bad. And I'm still not confident that with him they are better than the Pacers. They need some vet pieces like a Jared Dudley/Demarre Carroll type folks.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Conley I still think is really good, but it's obviously tough to narrow down "top ten" when we can't really decide on whether we count players like Harden as PGs.

But the bulls depth is very bad. And I'm still not confident that with him they are better than the Pacers. They need some vet pieces like a Jared Dudley/Demarre Carroll type folks.

If you acquire Conley, you have an MLE so that gets you another player plus you still have your 7th draft pick (and have not even dealt Dunn...albeit to get Conley they might have to give some of those pieces in addition to Felicio).  They also didn't have Porter for most of the year and that is a big issue. Their depth was also artificially lower because of "tanking".  

Note: If Bulls acquire Conley, I'm hoping they get Reddish. I like his game enough and think his ability to shoot can ultimately turn him into a Klay type of guy. Not saying he will be that guy...but I could see it happen. I think he is underrated given the other two stars he played next two and I like his game from an NBA perspective.  I actually think even if they didn't get Conley, I still lean to Reddish.  

I'll just go on record as saying, I'm cautiously optimistic on the Bulls offseason and more importantly the type of player they could get @ 7.  I think White, Culver and Reddish (not to mention Garland...albeit I'll downplay him due to his injury and limited scouting) could all turn into very good players.  Sure they could also bust, but there are components about any one of them that could lead them to be better than say Ja Morant (who I think has a high upside but also a risk element to him).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

If you acquire Conley, you have an MLE so that gets you another player plus you still have your 7th draft pick (and have not even dealt Dunn...albeit to get Conley they might have to give some of those pieces in addition to Felicio).  They also didn't have Porter for most of the year and that is a big issue. Their depth was also artificially lower because of "tanking".  

I don't agree with that, their depth is bad because it has a bunch of bad players. Arcidiacano is nice but he's fine if you have a few superstars. The team bulls are building needs borderline starters as backups as they have a lot of good not great players put into a core. 

Wayne Selden jr, Hutchinson, Valentine, Dunn, Felicio, TLC. Shaq harrison was a good 3rd/4th guard because he has a purpose. The rest, bleh.

And you are almost certainly out the 7th to the grizz in addition to needing to shave off at least 10 million for Conley, and that's not assuming they want legit talent which they may be able to acquire for Conley.

By contrast, a team like the pacers is throwing Thad Young and Tyreke Evans at you in the second unit.

So acquire collison, you are looking at 

Darren Collison, Lavine, Porter, Lauri, WCJ - Starters

Dunn, Felicio, Hutchinson, 2nd round pick, Valentine, WSJ.

You certainly need to add a backup C with Lopez gone or you are spending on the exception for Lopez.

It would be pretty hard. It kinda looks like Detroit.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don't agree with that, their depth is bad because it has a bunch of bad players. Arcidiacano is nice but he's fine if you have a few superstars. The team bulls are building needs borderline starters as backups as they have a lot of good not great players put into a core. 

Wayne Selden jr, Hutchinson, Valentine, Dunn, Felicio, TLC. Shaq harrison was a good 3rd/4th guard because he has a purpose. The rest, bleh.

And you are almost certainly out the 7th to the grizz in addition to needing to shave off at least 10 million for Conley, and that's not assuming they want legit talent which they may be able to acquire for Conley.

By contrast, a team like the pacers is throwing Thad Young and Tyreke Evans at you in the second unit.

You certainly need to add a backup C with Lopez gone or you are spending on the exception for Lopez.

That is where I think Conley differentiates (vs. a Collison). I agree with you that the above lineup is tough and very dependent on Lavine, Lauri and WCJ's future.  But that roster is missing the 7th overall pick (cause I'm not trading that for Collison).  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

That is where I think Conley differentiates (vs. a Collison). I agree with you that the above lineup is tough and very dependent on Lavine, Lauri and WCJ's future.  But that roster is missing the 7th overall pick (cause I'm not trading that for Collison).  

I started looking at the pacers depth and then wrote down Collison, hah. 

Conley et al is very good but depth gets you through the regular season and they just need more defensive versatility from their front court and would be throwing questionable guard play almost immediately. Need more shooting/more athleticism all around.

I would like Jrue Holiday more than conley. If the 7th +the salary dumps net either I think you do it, because as you said you could get rid of Porter if you need to.

But absent that, I am starting to think I'd pull the trigger on Reddish if he's there. It also just feels like brandon clarke is gonna be a guy everyone says years later they should have just drafted him.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Pacers ain't throwing out Tyreke Evans anymore. He's been kicked out of the league.

Having only White or Hunter is my least favorite draft but it's very likely:

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/20/nba-mock-draft-pelicans-grizzlies-knicks-lakers-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett-post-combine?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=sinow

I think it makes sense to go White but there is an aspect of Hunter I'm drawn to...but his age really makes me wonder. He was an old sophomore, and he certainly seems athletic. He's not denzel valentine, he can finish around rim.

He could be a really valuable wing if he developed consistently behind 3pt range and playing behind porter would be a really nice play on that.

@Chisoxfn

"Ball intrigues the Bulls as a pass-first, defensive-minded point guard with positional size who can best maximize the talents of Lauri Markkanen, Zach LaVine and Wendell Carter Jr."

"That said, there’s also a feeling that Brogdon is gettable with the right offer, given that the Bucks have multiple free agents to try to re-sign."

"They also plan to add a veteran big man in free agency. But upgrading the point guard position is their first priority."

READ MORE: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-point-guard-nba-draft-trade-free-agency-20190518-story.html

If they legitimately believe they can get Brogdon, they may as well swing for the fences and draft Reddish (assuming Hunter isn't on the board).

Then with the 2nd rounder, try to get some front court depth and get Bazley or Porter. Or in the most ideal world, hope Gafford falls and don't trade him for cash considerations.

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

@Chisoxfn

If they legitimately believe they can get Brogdon, they may as well swing for the fences and draft Reddish (assuming Hunter isn't on the board).

Then with the 2nd rounder, try to get some front court depth and get Bazley or Porter. Or in the most ideal world, hope Gafford falls and don't trade him for cash considerations.

The mock I showed had them getting Grant Williams which I'd be really happy with. Weird draft late, but it had McDaniels, Porter and Williams left, I'd take McDaniels of the 3.

But yes, I would be actually quite happy with Brogdon and one of Hunter/Reddish. I still would be okay with Coby White but not sold he'd be high chance of being a starter, while Hunter Reddish I do think could be at least very valuable rotation guys.

As Jimmy Bucket's #1 fan, I find it interesting that Boylan and Buckets reportedly had dinner yesterday.  I'm sure it was more the two of them catching up than anything to do with the Bulls making a play to bring Jimmy back. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

As Jimmy Bucket's #1 fan, I find it interesting that Boylan and Buckets reportedly had dinner yesterday.  I'm sure it was more the two of them catching up than anything to do with the Bulls making a play to bring Jimmy back. 

Jimmy would have made more sense if they didn't trade for Porter. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Jimmy would have made more sense if they didn't trade for Porter. 

They could always flip Porter elsewhere (say in a Conley Jr. deal).   That said, Buckets can play point guard a bit and Porter can defend the 3 and in the modern NBA can also play the 4 a bit as well.  It isn't a normal lineup but if you had Butler, Lavine, Porter, Mark, and Carter Jr, you should be a pretty good defensive team and you have a number of guys who can bring up the ball (albeit no natural point guard).  I won't project championships with that roster and I could see it being challenging at times, but I could also see it working and being pretty solid (and from there you hope the younger guys grow and / or you eventually deal a few of the other players for another star via trade).  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They could always flip Porter elsewhere (say in a Conley Jr. deal).   That said, Buckets can play point guard a bit and Porter can defend the 3 and in the modern NBA can also play the 4 a bit as well.  It isn't a normal lineup but if you had Butler, Lavine, Porter, Mark, and Carter Jr, you should be a pretty good defensive team and you have a number of guys who can bring up the ball (albeit no natural point guard).  I won't project championships with that roster and I could see it being challenging at times, but I could also see it working and being pretty solid (and from there you hope the younger guys grow and / or you eventually deal a few of the other players for another star via trade).  

Add Patrick Beverly on the room MLE and you increase your depth a lot. 

It's amazing how much more likeable and fun to watch the GS Warriors are without Kevin Durant.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think you need to get rid of Dunn, but it sure would be interesting.

The key there is if Jimmy is a bull stopper again or if he'll play in the flow of the offense and only take over when needed.

It's frustrating seeing how fluid Reddish moves and shoots, then remembering how he played in college.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

It's frustrating seeing how fluid Reddish moves and shoots, then remembering how he played in college.

Perhaps playing 3rd fiddle to Zion and Barrett limited him a  bit somehow.  To me he's a no brainer at 7 IF he's there. 

I've seen him listed as a SG/SF so i would assume he's capable of keeping up with 2's. Having a guy like that would do wonders for the bench. A true 6th man who could get 30+ min a night especially when you throw in the versatility of Lavine. 

Speaking of versatility, why is no one talking about Brogdon???

You could do a lot with a team that has Brogdon, Lavine, Porter and Reddish. 

We saw last year that Lavine could potentially take minutes at point.

2 minutes ago, 2nd_city_saint787 said:

Perhaps playing 3rd fiddle to Zion and Barrett limited him a  bit somehow.  To me he's a no brainer at 7 IF he's there. 

I've seen him listed as a SG/SF so i would assume he's capable of keeping up with 2's. Having a guy like that would do wonders for the bench. A true 6th man who could get 30+ min a night especially when you throw in the versatility of Lavine. 

People are talking about Brogdon, especially here.

I'd let Reddish learn behind Porter and would be thrilled if he dropped but I kinda think Lakers are going to grab him.

I think I see it as:

1. Pels - Zion

2. Grizz - Morant

3. Knicks - Barrett (assuming they pick, but I see Barrett going either 2 or 3, or Morant 2 or 3)

4. Lakers - Reddish (I think Lebron is going to make this happen)

5. Cavs - weakest one, I am not sure, gonna say Hunter

6. Suns - Garland

7. Bulls - Culver

I'm starting to fall back on White and I don't know why except people like KOC have him really low. I like the idea of a PG who pushes pace and let Lauri run in transition. I think my top possibilities are

1. Reddish

2. Garland

3. Hunter

4. Culver

5. White

6. Little

6 minutes ago, 2nd_city_saint787 said:

@bmags and I talked about Brogdon-Reddish above. The Bulls are supposedly confident that they can sign Brogdon.

If they truly are, then I think they should take the flier on Reddish and then hope Gafford falls to them in the second round. Sign Arci.

If you can trade Dunn, then you may have the cap + MLE to sign Beverley and Taj after Brogdon. It'd be tight and I haven't checked it on the capulator, but possible.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

People are talking about Brogdon, especially here.

I'd let Reddish learn behind Porter and would be thrilled if he dropped but I kinda think Lakers are going to grab him.

I think I see it as:

1. Pels - Zion

2. Grizz - Morant

3. Knicks - Barrett (assuming they pick, but I see Barrett going either 2 or 3, or Morant 2 or 3)

4. Lakers - Reddish (I think Lebron is going to make this happen)

5. Cavs - weakest one, I am not sure, gonna say Hunter

6. Suns - Garland

7. Bulls - Culver

I'm starting to fall back on White and I don't know why except people like KOC have him really low. I like the idea of a PG who pushes pace and let Lauri run in transition. I think my top possibilities are

1. Reddish

2. Garland

3. Hunter

4. Culver

5. White

6. Little

You beat me to mentioning the Brogdon-Reddish combo.

Supposedly the Lakers are the Garland promise (which is weird at #4). If that happened, I see the Suns taking White. 

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

You beat me to mentioning the Brogdon-Reddish combo.

Supposedly the Lakers are the Garland promise (which is weird at #4). If that happened, I see the Suns taking White. 

I saw that, I honestly don't buy it. It would not take much to get Garland to skip combine. I'm sure as soon as he got some feedback he is top ten, there's no point in doing more.

It feels like Lebron is going to see Reddish in a workout, and supposedly NBA players are super high on Reddish/Barrett/Zion, they were all tops on AAU circuit compared to some of the soph guys that developed.

Sorry I've just been skimming. Haven't heard the Bulls are confident they can bring Brogdon in and that's got me excited. Things don't always happen that way but i do agree with you guys that a Brogdon/Reddish combo would be huge. 

If Lavine can become a more consistent 3 point shooter, that's a very "Rangey" team. Same for WCJ.