2018-2019 Official NBA thread

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So the Bulls clear LaVine's contract, give up the #7 pick, get Ball and the #4 pick back? And have to absorb an expiring 1 year deal to do it? I'm game. 

Are you serious? That is an absolutely awful trade.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Only if you really think LaVine is a strong piece. I think he's a decent but overpaid player whose scoring would look no where near as good if there was anything of value around him (including the system/coaching staff) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Only if you really think LaVine is a strong piece. I think he's a decent but overpaid player whose scoring would look no where near as good if there was anything of value around him (including the system/coaching staff) 

I think there is still subjectively to where Lavine plays out, but given his performance last year, I'd say the notion that eh is overpaid is likely wrong. He is too good of a scorer and does a lot of other things to say he's overpaid. Whether he can take it to the next level, etc, that is another question.  I think all of this depends on what else the Bulls intend to do because I like Lavine. 

If they make this deal, they are punting further down the road and in a spot that they are tanking again this year (unless they are doing something else in free agency).  I can see reasons to make the move though.  I prefer the notion that they offer the #7, Lavine, and WCJ for Davis and take a chance.  Than go after one other big free agent and take your chance that you can convince AD to stay.  Go big or go home.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Yeah, hard pass. If the #3 were in play, sure, but now you're opening up a hole at SG, you're not drafting and developing Garland when you have Ball-Dunn...that's just a terrible trade.

And LaVine isn't overpaid at $18M, especially when the cap will keep going up. He's basically the same player as Devin Booker, while making an average $13M less.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah, hard pass. If the #3 were in play, sure, but now you're opening up a hole at SG, you're not drafting and developing Garland when you have Ball-Dunn...that's just a terrible trade.

And LaVine isn't overpaid at $18M, especially when the cap will keep going up. He's basically the same player as Devin Booker, while making an average $13M less.

These are exactly my thoughts. Even if you view him as just a one dimensional scorer, he isn't making all that much. 

I would absolutely do it if we were keeping the 7th pick. I still might do it (I'm not a LaVine fan at all) if the Bulls like Culver as much as I do, but it's a bit tougher to really stomach. I do like the Bulls trying to get rid of the dumb players though (except Felicio who is untradeable at the moment) and Ball has great vision and basketball I.Q. You would be banking on him shooting like his college days though (also for the injury issues to go away). The other thing I would have trouble stomaching a deal like that is you basically lack shot creators on the floor which LaVine is very, very good at. The defense would be miles better though. I just do not want to help the Lakers get AD.

Edited by SoxAce

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Worst nba finals in history of the nba. Sucks that two stars suffered major injuries. Sucks. 

Yep, you have a champion that won solely because of injuries and now two star players are going to miss all or at minimum most of next year as well.  Good for the Raptors to take advantage but always sucks when a team wins a title that way.  If there is a silver lining it is that next year might be about as an open of a race as we have had in a long time for the title with these injuries.

27 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Yep, you have a champion that won solely because of injuries and now two star players are going to miss all or at minimum most of next year as well.  Good for the Raptors to take advantage but always sucks when a team wins a title that way.  If there is a silver lining it is that next year might be about as an open of a race as we have had in a long time for the title with these injuries.

Nobody seems to complain about the 2015 warriors winning against a heavily injured team. Toronto was the best team in the playoffs.

NBA landscape going to be very different next year. I would imagine, or I would hope, one of Denver or Utah or Portland just do an "eff it' and go for AD and just ask him for one year and then they'll trade him to where he wants. Go for it.

30 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Yep, you have a champion that won solely because of injuries

Injuries are part of the game though. It's not like the Warriors haven't greatly benefited from injuries in every single one of their title runs (Kyrie/Love, Kawhi, Paul).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I would absolutely do it if we were keeping the 7th pick. I still might do it (I'm not a LaVine fan at all) if the Bulls like Culver as much as I do, but it's a bit tougher to really stomach. I do like the Bulls trying to get rid of the dumb players though (except Felicio who is untradeable at the moment) and Ball has great vision and basketball I.Q. You would be banking on him shooting like his college days though (also for the injury issues to go away). The other thing I would have trouble stomaching a deal like that is you basically lack shot creators on the floor which LaVine is very, very good at. The defense would be miles better though. I just do not want to help the Lakers get AD.

I can't think of a draft I would less trade up for than this one. If we were to get in a position for Barrett, maybe, but I just don't really see much benefit here. 

It would put them in a position to get Brogdon, could pair him with Garland at #4. But if bulls are in a position to need to shed salary then porter is always available to dump pretty easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OmarComing25 said:

Injuries are part of the game though. It's not like the Warriors haven't greatly benefited from injuries in every single one of their title runs (Kyrie/Love, Kawhi, Paul).

This. If we're gonna throw an asterisk on the Raptors victory, then throw one on the entire Warriors dynasty. They still had three All-NBA players at the end of Game 6.