Official NHL COVID season thread

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Probably still feeling all the roster mistakes Q made. Don’t worry, Bowman will fix it. 

I'm on the fence on Stan, and was when Q got whacked. I just thought Q was more to blame, and that Stan deserved some time to fix the mess. They're so bad that I don't think Stan can survive the season, and if they're going to whack him, they shouldn't let him make a damn trade and do it now. 

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

That wasn’t the debate we had last week, at all. Now you are moving the goal posts. 

I said originally if Q and Bowman were both fired, I would have celebrated the move. Q going and Bowman staying was a mistake. That’s when you decided to enter the discussion and proclaim Q was 70% to blame for the mess the Blackhawks are in. Which is the where the debate started, and where I believe you are wrong. 

I'm only changing the goalposts because there is new information that was unknown at the time. I made an assumption, and it was wrong based on this new info. 

Well, Kunitz and Martinsen still being in the lineup changes a lot. Kunitz not being terminated and Manning not being waived immediately says a TON. I truly thought they were Q guys, but they're still playing and on the team.

If I was right about Q being the problem, those three plugs wouldn't be on the team a game or two after Q got whacked. 

I was wrong about that. Not to say Q didn't have his faults. There were a bunch of things that really irritated me about Q. I think it is now obvious that both needed to go. Based on McCub's comments after Q got whacked, Stan has a month or two to get the ship righted with the current group or else he's whacked too. Stan will be gone soon enough. 

I believed there was a power struggle going on an Stan let Q hang himself. Now, I'm not so sure. I'm also not so sure there was much Stan could do other than keep Panarin and Danault and not sign Seabrook. 

I believe the roster was going to collapse about now no matter who was in charge, unless they made drastic changes immediately after their 2015 SCF win. They didn't, and that was their choice. Now they have to live with being the Red Wings part deux. 

I told everyone that I'd be glad to eat crow if I was wrong. 

I like my crow served with chicken gravy and stuffing, please. Not afraid to admit I was wrong. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

But no one argued that. 

Almost all coaches have a certain shelf life. It’s how things work. After a while, when you have the same core year after year, the message can get stale. The yelling, the motivational tactics don’t work anymore. 

No one things the is “dumber”

I believe it's complacency more than anything else, like you said. What is dumb, but possible, is that a guy like Q could leave for 5-6 years and then come back and be great with the team again, because of the decent amount of turnover between those times. 

5 hours ago, Tony said:

It also goes without saying I believe he had a garbage roster to work with the last two years. 

This precisely, a mix of young kids needing to learn on the fly/develop or be benched due to Win Now mode and quite a few aging/over the hill veterans and a Captain that played like one.

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread