Official NHL COVID season thread

On 1/18/2019 at 9:00 AM, GGajewski18 said:

Hawks now have the worst record in the league while Patrick Kane is still putting up insane numbers.

And Toews is having a big year by his standards.  Should that give us hope that they may have another playoff run in them if the rest of the roster is improved?  Or is it bad news that they can play so well and yet the team is in the cellar?

10 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

And Toews is having a big year by his standards.  Should that give us hope that they may have another playoff run in them if the rest of the roster is improved?  Or is it bad news that they can play so well and yet the team is in the cellar?

That is the chicken/egg question for the Hawks. 

On 1/21/2019 at 5:34 PM, Tony said:

If Bowman did this right, I could see another run with a 32-33 year old Toews-Kane combo, but a ton would have to go to right. 

If that happens in a year or two, I expect some crow eating on the Bowman/Q issue. Amazing what a decent PP does for your team, isn't it? Let's not forget the number of seasons the Hawks had an absolutely dreadful PP under Q, 

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Once again, this is a roster debate more than anything. Colliton is 12-18-6 with the Hawks right now, not exactly changing the entire culture of the franchise. I actually like some of the things he's done and as I said multiple times, didn't have a problem with Q leaving. I did have a problem with him taking the blame for most of the issues and Bowman getting a "pass" 

If Bowman can turn this roster over in 2 years and produce a winner, he deserves a lot of credit. But I'm not ready to say that wouldn't have happened if Q was behind the bench. I promise you Joel Quenneville will add playoff victories to his total in the next 5 years. 

If they could somehow find a taker for Seabrooks contract, I'd add Toews to any deal. But it won't happen, just too much money. 

It would be nice to be rid of that money, but I would rather load up a deal with players than to try to cram nearly $20 million a year into one deal.  I am guessing this would be near impossible without taking on bad money back.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It would be nice to be rid of that money, but I would rather load up a deal with players than to try to cram nearly $20 million a year into one deal.  I am guessing this would be near impossible without taking on bad money back.

Unless they traded picks/prospects to get rid of a bad deal, which the hawks are in no position to do

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Who is the good young core coming?  Debrincat? Saad? Delia? Strome?

Edited by GGajewski18

46 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Who is the good young core coming?  Debrincat? Saad? Delia? Strome?

Debrincat/Strome/Boqvist/Jokiharju is a good start. Strome has elite hockey IQ and above average to great skill. The only thing keeping him from being a 1C is his average skating. 

I wouldn't sleep on Koekkoek being a late bloomer either. Kind of a longshot, but the talent is there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The Blackhawks acquired the rights to forward Dominik Kubalik from the Los Angeles Kings on Thursday in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2019 NHL draft previously acquired from Arizona.

The trade was first reported by Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.

Kubalík currently leads Switzerland’s National League in scoring with 43 points, is second in assists (25) and tied for fourth in goals (18).

The 23-year-old forward, who stands 6-foot-2 and weights 176 pounds, was a seventh-round pick (191st overall) of the Kings in the 2013 NHL draft. Since being drafted, however, Kubalik has remained in Europe, playing in his native Czech Republic through the 2016-17 season before joining HC Ambri-Piotta in Switzerland this season. He amassed 27 points in 25 games that season before continuing at a point-per-game pace during 2018-19.

As recently as October 2017, Kubalik received an NHL contract offer from the Kings, but never signed. He remains unsigned and, according to the Blackhawks, will finish the season with HC Ambri Piotta.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2019/1/24/18196604/chicago-blackhawks-los-angeles-kings-trade-dominik-kubalik-2019-nhl-draft-breaking-news

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Barstool Chief is hinting that Bowman has some great move coming.

I'm intrigued. I'm all aboard the Hawk tankathon for this year in hopes of grabbing Hughes, but I don't think the Hawks are too far away from a turnaround if Bowman is right with his personnel and coaching decisions. He already seems like he's able to make moves more freely, like without the heavy input of Coach Q. If that is actually a good thing or not is yet to be determined. It does intrigue me, though. 

21 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I'm intrigued. I'm all aboard the Hawk tankathon for this year in hopes of grabbing Hughes, but I don't think the Hawks are too far away from a turnaround if Bowman is right with his personnel and coaching decisions. He already seems like he's able to make moves more freely, like without the heavy input of Coach Q. If that is actually a good thing or not is yet to be determined. It does intrigue me, though. 

AFAIK, the Hawks should have a ton of money this offseason and have a good wave of young talent that is close (sound familiar?). If we still had Q, I would be very optimistic heading in to this offseason.

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread