Official NHL COVID season thread

33 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

AFAIK, the Hawks should have a ton of money this offseason and have a good wave of young talent that is close (sound familiar?). If we still had Q, I would be very optimistic heading in to this offseason.

With the money, I guess most are hoping for a reunion with Panarin. I wouldn't be totally against that. The sequence of events if it occurs is somewhat funny. 

1. Saad for Anisimov+

2. Panarin for Saad

3. ???

4. Sign Panarin

5. Have All 3

Sadly enough, the Blue Jackets would be at the brunt of these jokes. 

I absolutely cannot argue against Coach Q and don't wish to. I believe I would feel the same way about a Hawks bolstered roster under Q next year as I would under current conditions. Perhaps even better. The only thing that is interesting to me is that Bowman seemed to quickly get rid of "Q guys" like Manning shortly after his departure, which means there might have been some level of disagreement as to personnel and hockey strategy between the GM and the coach. After the disappointments of the last few seasons, I am honestly excited for an organizational refresh while Toews and Kane are still young-ish.  

That said, I wouldn't find it shocking in the least if Q is back strong with a new organization soon. Maybe it was time for a new voice, maybe not. Time will tell. 

5 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Henri Jokiharju to Rockford. 

Ok then.

Colliton's handling of him has been extremely baffling. 

In other news, '15 Stanley Cup champion Antoine Vermette has retired. 

Edited by SoxAce

On 1/31/2019 at 6:47 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

Henri Jokiharju to Rockford. 

Ok then.

Not totally unexpected with his ice time dwindling and the return of Murphy and now Forsling. Maybe was getting a little sloppy in his own end. Still so young . Just sent him down to get him more ice time.

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

Does that mean they had a taker, or they wanted to ask before engaging with conversation? 

Because if they had a buyer....I really don’t even want to know that...and not sure I believe it.

There were rumors the Oilers inquired about him but that was before their GM got fired.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

There were rumors the Oilers inquired about him but that was before their GM got fired.

Deal probably would have been Spooner and Sekera for Seabrook. More short term pain for long term gain.  They'd add ~4M to the cap for the next 2 seasons. Then Spooner would be off, and by 2022 Sekera would be off. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

That’s tough because of the Hawks window with 2-19-88, but think you pull the trigger. I think...

Sekera might never play hockey again, so he only would restrict offseason space. Pretty similar situation to if they kept Hossa. They probably could have ended up dumping his contract on Ottawa, but I don't know if real dollars<caphit. That is the only way you could move something like that. 

I was actually wrong about the money and years. It would only add ~1.7M and they'd get all of it off the books by 2021. Edmonton does it because the window is now for them, and they're already up against the cap. Every bit helps. Also, Spooner could get buried in the minors and they'd get 950K back from that. It would only cost them one ELC roster spot. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Does that mean they had a taker, or they wanted to ask before engaging with conversation? 

Because if they had a buyer....I really don’t even want to know that...and not sure I believe it.

I can't imagine they would tell Seabrook that they want to shop him around, before actually having an interested party willing to make a deal. Awkward to get him to agree to being traded and then say "Ahh, nevermind, no one wanted you" or "No one wanted to give up anything of value for you" if/when he doesn't get moved. 

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Hawks may have a real one in Dylan Strome....only 21 years old. Small sample size, but you have to love what you’re seeing. 

3 points out of the 8th seed currently and getting very strong hockey from the kids. Here come the Hawks!

8 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

3 points out of the 8th seed currently and getting very strong hockey from the kids. Here come the Hawks!

Tied with 4 other teams now with 51 points but listed as 7th now in the WC, and only 3 points away from the 2nd seed in Western Conference but 4 of the teams ahead have anywhere from 1-3 games less played. Shows what 5 wins in a row in a bad conference can do. Helluva 3rd period last night. Nice road wins. Back home now / Let's see if that 1st game back at home is a let up game. A win against the Canucks would be huge.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Tied with 4 other teams now with 51 points but listed as 7th now in the WC, and only 3 points away from the 2nd seed in Western Conference but 4 of the teams ahead have anywhere from 1-3 games less played. Shows what 5 wins in a row in a bad conference can do. Helluva 3rd period last night. Nice road wins. Back home now / Let's see if that 1st game back at home is a let up game. A win against the Canucks would be huge.

The direct result of the stupid loser point.  The 3-2-1 point system can't get here soon enough.  

• Like 2

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread