Official NHL COVID season thread

51 minutes ago, Tony said:

BREAKING: I don’t think the Hawks are good

Crazy thing is Bowman's off season moves have actually played well to start. It's the core guys (and I'll add DeBrincat and Strome to that group too at this point) that have been shit. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Crazy thing is Bowman's off season moves have actually played well to start. It's the core guys (and I'll add DeBrincat and Strome to that group too at this point) that have been shit. 

Ehhh...I think Nylander for Jokiharju is already a disaster, and going to get worse. 

If they are as bad as they look, I don’t see how Stan sticks around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ehhh...I think Nylander for Jokiharju is already a disaster, and going to get worse. 

If they are as bad as they look, I don’t see how Stan sticks around.

I like Nylander alot, but I also loved Jokiharju so I was a bit torn there. But De Haan, Maatta, Carpenter, Shaw, etc. have been fine. Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford, Strome, DeBrincat have been ass.

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

Given that three games in, Nylander is a healthy scratch, it could be a huge miss. Super early right now. The big guys should be fine, I’m sure it will balance out, but I just don’t know if this is a good roster in today’s NHL. Time will tell. 

Nylander was the most noticeable player in the first 2 games on that line. Toews and Kane are playing like ass. Every time Nylander had the puck in the opposing zone things were happening. Nylander wasn't the problem, 19 and 88 were. Nylander has some work to do in his own end but the talent is obvious. The only way that trade isn't going to be a win-win is if the Hawks sabotage Nylander by sitting him in the press box after 2 games in which he played well. The core forwards are all bigger problems than Nylander. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Nylander wouldn't have been the guy I targeted in a Jokiharju trade, but he's still a good player. Is he rough in his own end right now? Yeah. But the offensive talent is ridiculous. If they could turn back the clock I would have seen if Alex Tuch was available because he would have fit the team perfectly. 

Ok Hawks can salvage this opening season home stand with 2 more victories against some tough opponents. Looks like Keith pairing with Murphy is the shut down defensive  pair for now. Not sure the Hawks can play good offense and good defense at the same time. Seems like it's either one or the other for them.

Blackhawks just don't look like that great a team, the Bears fading and the Sox in rebuild. Gonna be a cold winter. 

Disclaimer: I do like the Hawks team, not ready to bail on them as they have lots of new faces.

Edited by kwolf68

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Blackhawks just don't look like that great a team, the Bears fading and the Sox in rebuild. Gonna be a cold winter. 

Disclaimer: I do like the Hawks team, not ready to bail on them as they have lots of new faces.

I think if the Hawks continued to play Zone on D vs. the Man to Man version they're doing now, things would be fine. The fact that Bowman thought that this would be a good idea is baffling. 

8 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

This was actually one of the better Hawk efforts this year especially the play of the 3rd and 4th lines. The problem is the power play went 0-5 and gave up a shorty. But as a team they generated a lot of top scoring chances but Holtby had his best game of the season. Stats favored the Hawks 84-49 Hawks in shot attempts, 43-22 in scoring chances. Washington blocked 17 shot attempts.

I think eventually Robin Lehner becomes the #1 goalie though they will get near equal time in the near future until they have enough evidence to play Lehner more.

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread