Official NHL COVID season thread

This is more like it. Hawks pound Preds 7-2 Kane with 2 more points. 13 different Hawks get on the scoresheet  Some beautiful passing plays. That Dach takeaway and quick feed to Kubalik , then the move by Kubalik showing patience to get the goal was awesome. Nylander with 2 goals. The Cat also made a nice play pinching behind the net and a nice feed to Kane for a goal. Toews and Saad both with 2 assists.

On a side note Quenneville got his 900th win .

With Murphy back and Boqvist up, the Hawks would have too many contracts with bonus structures. The CBA doesn't allow for you to exceed more than 7.5% of the cap in total bonuses. If you exceed the bonus cushion, you exceed the Cap. Between Strome, Kubalik, Dach, Nylander and DeBrincat they had enough potential bonuses that they couldn't keep Boqvist up legally. 

Math: 

6.71M in potential bonuses without Boqvist-1.27M in capspace=5.44M in overages

7.5% of cap=6.11M

5.44M+850k=6.29M which is over the cushion. 

They literally can't have Boqvist up unless someone is on LTIR this season. It would be illegal otherwise. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Sounds like Keith has been playing through it for a while.

It sounds like it's an injury Keith has been dealing with for some time, which head coach Jeremy Colliton indicated has been a reason for Keith's recent maintenance days from practice.

"Obviously we try to take care of it and at some point he just felt he couldn't play," Colliton said. "He's been playing a lot and it's a heavy schedule, so we've been trying to give him off days and optionals and what not. I'm not sure how serious it is... I'm not even sure exactly what the end diagnosis is going to be." 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/blackhawks/duncan-keiths-injury-will-test-blackhawks-depth-and-character

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, South Sider said:

Damn do I live Lehners honest assessments of this teams overall defense. Is anyone going to start listening to him?

I do too.  Basically called out the forwards for not hustling back on offense or in the wrong spots creating odd man rushes.  Hawks don't deserve Kane or Lehner.

The Hawks have hit rock bottom, but the most damning to me is what Jonathan Toews has become. The guy just doesn't give a shit anymore. He’s selectively trying and this is a guy who was known as “captain serious” and is/was a very talented two way player who got it done through sheer force of will. He isn’t making bad plays in the defensive zone because he’s making bad reads or has had a lapse in judgement. He just isn't skating, he isn't working!

A few years back the points weren’t there and he was a fifty-ish point center not worth his cap hit, but his defense and two way play was still great. People argued he was hurt/his diet/his commitment/etc. I thought it was maybe bad luck/injuries. Maybe all those playoff grinds just took a toll on his body and he just wasn't the same anymore (similar to Seabrook and even Keith). Then last year happened.

Last night he looked like a guy who was happy enough to have a pair of assists in the bank and that he could coast because of it (in turn was responsible for 2 goals against which he himself admitted in the post game interview afterwards). That’s not the guy that wears a letter for team Canada. That’s not the guy that Sidney Crosby reached out to before the captaincy was announced and asks if it’s alright with him wearing the C. A better/different coach might be able to get Toews to the commitment level that made him one of my favorite players. It’s heart breaking that it’s gotten to that point with him. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I'm starting to think that Colliton, while probably a really good guy, may simply just be too young to handle some of the personalities on this team. 

Isn't there something to having a grizzled, crusty, older guy telling you when you're fucking up as opposed to a younger guy? His message may be lost on the older guys.

Jeremy Del Negro Trestman should've never gotten the job tbh

On 1/3/2020 at 11:22 AM, Tony said:

The trade was a disaster then, and it’s a disaster now. 

I was arguing that you needed to let it play out and that declaring it a disaster, even right now is ridiculous. Nylander has talent. He hasn't put it all together yet. He's still a rookie. I will admit that it doesn't look good right now, and that Jokiharju was too much to pay for a reclamation project. However, making any sort of judgment about the trade is ridiculous until the end of next season. 

Rumor has it that they were shopping Jokiharju all summer and couldn't even get a late first rounder at the draft for him. His value wasn't that high around the league. 

Nobody, including myself, liked this deal when it went down. However, I'm at least willing to give Nylander a couple seasons to see what he can do before ripping Bowman to shreds. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

And yet you make no mention of Jokiharju absolutely flourishing in Buffalo when the Hawks have one of the worst D corps in the league. The trade made zero sense when it happened, makes zero sense now, and won’t make any sense in two years when Jokiharju is an established NHL D-Man at age 23, and Nylander is playing for his 3rd NHL franchise. 

I know he's doing well there. Still too early to tell. Surprisingly, Nylander has been better on D than scoring. It's part of what still gives me hope. Trading Jokiharju made sense, and still makes sense. Trading Jokiharju for Nylander doesn't make sense. Boqvist and Mitchell are still better prospects than Jokiharju. That's why Jokiharju got traded, whether you want to believe it or not. The Hawks were able to replace Jokiharju as a prospect by trading Perlini for Regula. It's a wash in the end. Regula is really underrated, and is (imo) a similar prospect to Jokiharju. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

You’re wrong. You know it, but it’s impossible for you to admit. 

Unrelated, Gordon Wittenmyer’s twitter handle is @GdubCub. It’s ok to be wrong sometimes. 

I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong. I just think that it's ridiculous for you to declare the trade a disaster from the moment it was made. You have to let it play out. You don't know. 

I think that Boqvist and Mitchell are better prospects than Jokiharju. Most NHL scouts think so too. 

The truth is that Jokiharju was expendable. I don't think that he's this stud defenseman that they gave away for nothing. Would I have traded him for Nylander? No. But regardless of that, I did think that he was expendable before the trade. The Hawks are still super loaded with defensemen even if a couple of them are a couple years away(Regula/Vlasic) even without Jokiharju. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

But like always, you get tunnel vision and only can look at one thing and it’s all you focus on.

The Blackhawks were built to compete for a playoff spot this year. There is no questions about it.  Jokiharju could have help get there, considering he is NHL ready and the Hawks D corps is one of the worst in the league. He clearly was in some sort of doghouse here in Chicago, but that doesn’t give the FO a pass. They used him in a 1-1 deal for a guy that already lost his luster in his first stop, and has shown almost NOTHING in Chicago to show he deserves important minutes. 

Jokiharju and where he ranks within the Hawks prospect rankings doesn’t matter. They need all the help they can get back there, and they had a guy that could do that. They traded him for a guy that seems disinterested in playing hockey, and it was a totally unnecessary move to make. 

Colliton clearly didn't like him, and he was going to spend the season in Rockford if he didn't get traded. He's not helping the Hawks win now and he wouldn't be helping them win if he was here either. Regardless of whether or not the team was built to win games this year, injuries have decimated them and they weren't good enough anyway. Boqvist and Gilbert would have received the call ahead of him, and only now would he be with the Hawks after De Haan and Seabrook have been declared out for the season. You're out to lunch buddy. 

Everyone's whining about how Jokiharju is this huge loss, and I'm not seeing it. Especially with him being doghoused by Colliton. Chalk it up in the "it wouldn't have happened here" column with Teravainen. Jokiharju might be playing well, but it's not like he's helping the Sabres win games either. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread