Official NHL COVID season thread

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

There are legitimately too many bad takes here, it would be impossible to address them all. So much for that New Years resolution, Jack. Keep being you...

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

I think your takes on the subject are awful. 

You're not using your brain. You're letting the Bowman hate cloud your judgment. You're better than this, Tony. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

36 minutes ago, Tony said:

So what are you even arguing at this point? That it wasn’t a bad trade? 

Scott Powers reported TODAY that the Hawks are looking to add a Dman from outside the organization:

One league source said the Blackhawks have been trying to add defense depth since early in the season, but they’ve struck out since teams want prospects the Blackhawks aren’t willing to give up. The source said, “Teams with defenseman depth are using it or are unwilling to move it for even money. It’s the toughest thing to buy right now.”

Your “argument” that Joki wouldn’t have been used this season isn’t based on any sort of fact other than your opinion, so we can wipe that out right now. If any thing, it shows the bad judgment used by both Colliton and Bowman, which also went into this trade. 

I love your line as well about the Sabres, “Jokiharju might be playing well, but it's not like he's helping the Sabres win games either.” Do you really think that helps your argument here? 

Simply put, Alex Nylander is not helping the Chicago Blackhawks. He’s incredibly young, but he has already established a negative reputation around the league. Meanwhile, the Hawks are desperate to established some consistency on their blue line, but traded away a 20 year old Dman who is playing quality NHL minutes for Buffalo right now. Nylander has 5 goals right now. Joki has 4 These are all facts, not any sort of opinion.

I’m out. Already spent way more time debating something that isn’t really a debate.  

You're not using full context. This is the same logic mistake that people use when arguing that the Panarin-Saad deal was bad. You people don't take all of the variables into account and fall into fan groupthink. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The Joker-Nylander trade is an absolute disaster.  Tony knows I'm a pretty optimistic Hawks fan and this was beyond awful.  Injuries have hurt this team but in all honesty, if the Hawks even had average goaltending, they would be with Detroit at the bottom of the league.  It is that bad.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're not using full context. This is the same logic mistake that people use when arguing that the Panarin-Saad deal was bad. You people don't take all of the variables into account and fall into fan groupthink. 

You think trading Panarin was smart? Oh boy

32 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You think trading Panarin was smart? Oh boy

In a vacuum, no. With the existing long-term salaries on the Hawks? Yes. Ask Toronto how having 3 forwards making $11M annually is working for them. 

Look at it this way: DeBrincat+Saad or Panarin? If the Hawks kept Panarin and paid him they'd lose DeBrincat, Strome or both. DeBrincat has replaced most of the offense that Panarin brought. 

The Hawks have fallen off. It would have happened no matter what. Once the backdiving deals were eliminated, this is just the salary cap doing its job. They've had to make some tough decisions. 

Regardless of whether or not Jokiharju was here, it wouldn't matter anyway. The Hawks are very bad. There was absolutely nothing based in reality they could have done to avoid this dropoff.  

I'm not arguing that the Joki/Nylander trade wasn't bad(it is and always was) I just think "disaster" is going too far. Nylander could still develop into a useful player and Jokiharju is a middle pairing defenseman at best. There were a multitude of reasons why he got traded. He should have been traded, just not for Alex Nylander. 

BTW, I was very vocal on the Hawks taking chances on guys like Nylander and Puljujarvi this summer, just not at the price that they paid. 

They'd have been better off if they traded the #2/3 for Nylander and kept Jokiharju, while not having Shaw. If you want to talk about an awful trade, you can start with the Shaw one. If you want to talk about a disaster of a trade, there you have it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

I'm going to try to will Nylander into being good like I did with Giolito. Wish me luck. Not serious. I understand Nylander might be scouting fools gold. Just a baffling player. Has all of the tools, including hockey sense but isn't putting anything together whatsoever. Not giving up yet, but I find myself yelling at the TV on every shift of his. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Patrick Kane got his number retired by the London Knights (won't he the last time he gets his number retired) Very cool.

Patrick Kane returns for memories – and a hat – as London Knights retire his number

https://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/patrick-kanes-88-retired-in-london

Clearer video.

Edited by SoxAce

On 1/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Suddenly, the Hawks are only 4 points out of a playoff spot and only have to catch 3 teams. 

They've been playing good for the past 3 or so weeks. 9-4 in their last 13 games.  3 in a row. Lehner winning like 7 of his last 8. Kubalik's stepped up big time in Saad's absence. Just when everyone starts talking about Hawks selling  at the trade deadline they start playing well.

Maybe they put Saad on the block since they've proved they don't need him or just keep Kubalik , Kane and Toews together and put Saad on another line. 

Maybe they get even better when Saad returns possibly tonight and whenever Strome gets back but do not break up Kubalik Kane and Toews. Kubalik has a really sneaky fast shot and has been getting to the front of the net  getting rebounds and tips.

Kubalik seems to have got the 5 hole shot down perhaps an influence from Toews.

I always thought the Hawks had enough depth to keep Kane and Toews together . Colliton would be wise to keep it that way. His prior reluctance to keep Toews and Kane together for the sake of balance hasn't worked.

Hawks have played their best hockey of the season with a few vets out of the lineup. I don't know if that's in Colliton's favor or a knock on him since he's been forced to mix things up more.

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Kane with an assist so far. Point 999. One point away from 1,000 in his career.

Hawks just blitzing Leafs 6-2 now. Toews with 2 goals 2 assists and Kubalik with 2 goals, Those two have been piling up the points together ,

The 2nd Kubalik goal was amazing highlight reel stuff . He took a cross ice pass from Toews knee high skating down the left side and batted it in from about 5 feet ft out. You see guys bat pucks in usually from close in on rebounds enough but not like Kubalik  just did very often.

Kubalik 9 goals in last 7 games. Leads all rookies in goals.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Yea Toews has looked like vintage Toews the last 20 games or so. It's been a pleasure to watch.

I think playing with Kubalik has opened up the ice a bit for him . I think Toews lost a lot of energy trying to play in front of the net while trying to still be the same good defensive player. Too much time and energy skating end to end and battles in front of the net making his shifts less effective. Toews can now trust Kunalik on rushes or when Toews pulls up Kubalik will drive the net or give Toews a good angle to pass. This in turn saves him some energy and be more effective both offensively and defensively.

15 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Yea Toews has looked like vintage Toews the last 20 games or so. It's been a pleasure to watch.

12 pts. in last 5 games and 28 in last 20. Undefeated Canadian road trip. Would like to see them beat Winnipeg at home today.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread