Official NHL COVID season thread

14 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

All of those hard earned posts that I wrote up regarding Bowman only to have to keep writing more to obviously point out how bad he is at his job only for 2-3 weeks later that poster now agrees? Holy shit

I never disagreed that there were many aspects of being a GM that Bowman was bad at. I said I'm not sure I want to punt on a guy who has proven to be an excellent amateur talent evaluator when that is what the team needs most at this point in time. Drafting is the only thing that Bowman is great at. He's below average to bad at everything else about being a GM. I think that he should get a chance to learn from his mistakes, but if he signs anymore stupid contracts or massively overpays in another trade he should get whacked immediately. 

Now, I know you disagree with me on Bowman's drafting, but the Hawks didn't have a lot of high picks from 2015-17 because they traded them to chase cups. If you fail to take that into account, that is on you. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I never disagreed that there were many aspects of being a GM that Bowman was bad at. I said I'm not sure I want to punt on a guy who has proven to be an excellent amateur talent evaluator when that is what the team needs most at this point in time. Drafting is the only thing that Bowman is great at. He's below average to bad at everything else about being a GM. I think that he should get a chance to learn from his mistakes, but if he signs anymore stupid contracts or massively overpays in another trade he should get whacked immediately. 

Now, I know you disagree with me on Bowman's drafting, but the Hawks didn't have a lot of high picks from 2015-17 because they traded them to chase cups. If you fail to take that into account, that is on you. 

1) It’s not impossible to find good players late. “Great” drafters find mid-late round gems, which leads me into my second point...

2) If he was “great” at drafting, why hasn’t he found any mid-late round gems lately?

2013- John Hayden, Robin Norell, Tyler Motte, Luke Johnson, Anthony Louis

2014- Beau Starrett, Fredrick Olofsson, Luc Snuggerud, Andreas Soderberg, Dylan Sikura

2015- Dennis Gilbert, Ryan Shea, Radovan Bondra, Roy Radke

2016- Artur Kayumov, Wouter Peeters, Lucas Carlson, Nathan Noel, Mathias From

If Bowman were “great” at drafting he wouldn’t have four drafts in a row that poor.

Edited by soxfan49

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wow, I literally just read this on the Athletic before seeing that.

It’s not clear when Bowman will negotiate a new contract with Nick Schmaltz, but it’ll be on his list of things to do before next season.

Schmaltz has so far underperformed this season with two goals and eight assists in 22 games.

“He’s playing better lately,” Bowman said. “Obviously he hasn’t scored a lot of goals. He’s not really a goal-scorer per se, but he did have 22 last year. We’re looking for that. We’re looking for him to score some goals. … Haven’t really used him at center much. I think we’ll try him at some point here because he’s probably more natural there.

“But as far as his contract goes, I’m not that worried about that whether it’s going to be a shorter term or a longer term. We’ll figure that out as time comes. But I think the most important thing is for Nick to get his confidence. I’ve seen signs of it lately where he’s had the puck more, he’s making some plays. Like to see him shoot the puck and he’s heard that a million times. That’s a work in progress. His contract isn’t like a top-of-mind issue right now. We’re not up against the cap, so it’s not really like a problem point.”

Didn’t rumors come out after the Q firing that a part of the firing was because of Q’s handling of Schmaltz? And now dipshit Bowman trades him a few weeks later?

RT @MarkLazerus: Blackhawks first-rounders:

2011: Mark McNeill (traded, bust)

2011: Phil Danault (traded)

2012: Teuvo Teravainen (traded)

2013: Ryan Hartman (traded)

2014: Nick Schmaltz (traded)

2015: None

2016: None

The cupboard is pretty bare.

Way to go, Stan, you great drafter you!

42 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Didn’t rumors come out after the Q firing that a part of the firing was because of Q’s handling of Schmaltz? And now dipshit Bowman trades him a few weeks later?

RT @MarkLazerus: Blackhawks first-rounders:

2011: Mark McNeill (traded, bust)

2011: Phil Danault (traded)

2012: Teuvo Teravainen (traded)

2013: Ryan Hartman (traded)

2014: Nick Schmaltz (traded)

2015: None

2016: None

The cupboard is pretty bare.

Way to go, Stan, you great drafter you!

Not to defend Bowman cause I'm not a huge fan of his either, but you do realize Strome was the 3rd overall pick in 2015 right? So it's pretty much sub out the '14 pick in Schmaltz for the '15 pick in Strome. Then add '14 pick Perlini with that 

Strome is slooow, but has alot of upside (he and DeBrincat destroyed the OHL together). Don't know that much about Perlini other than he can fucking snipe it and is a big body. I'm not too giddy about this trade, BUT I do hope Strome and Perlini do what alot of players do once leaving that hell hole of an organization and lights it up with their new team.

Edited by SoxAce

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Not to defend Bowman cause I'm not a huge fan of his either, but you do realize Strome was the 3rd overall pick in 2015 right? So it's pretty much sub out the '14 pick in Schmaltz for the '15 pick in Strome. Then add '14 pick Perlini with that 

Strome is slooow, but has alot of upside (he and DeBrincat destroyed the OHL together). Don't know that much about Perlini other than he can fucking snipe it and is a big body. I'm not too giddy about this trade, BUT I do hope Strome and Perlini do what alot of players do once leaving that hell hole of an organization and lights it up with their new team.

Just get the 3rd member of that high scoring line, now we're talking business.  You think Edmonton is looking to dump his salary?

Strome is the key to all of this.  Schmaltz will never be a star player, but is the kind of guy that will put up 10 to 15 years of really solid play.  If Strome can get anywhere near his potential, this trade is a steal, the big problem is he is kind of an antique skill player in the modern NHL.  Maybe skating with more skilled players in Chicago will pick him up?  I guess we will see.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

That's a BAD team...

yeah, I remember saying it out loud after the first, first round exit after the last cup that the window was closing... but the window is closed.  The Hawks are just another team now.  It was an amazing decade and all, but it is over.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

yeah, I remember saying it out loud after the first, first round exit after the last cup that the window was closing... but the window is closed.  The Hawks are just another team now.  It was an amazing decade and all, but it is over.

If they can somehow net Jack Hughes, it'll be a game changer. As an announcer once said "this is the type of talent that can bring a franchise back from dead." One good thing Bowman has going for him is his last couple of high draft picks have been defenseman (Boqvist, Jokiharju, Beaudin, Mitchell). They really need forward talent up front though. Regardless of where they land in the draft, I'm sure that will be their next step.. drafting a forward high.

Another thing that'll help this franchise immensely is getting rid of that god awful Seabrook contract (thanks Stan), but that's another discussion entirely. 

47 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

If they can somehow net Jack Hughes, it'll be a game changer. As an announcer once said "this is the type of talent that can bring a franchise back from dead." One good thing Bowman has going for him is his last couple of high draft picks have been defenseman (Boqvist, Jokiharju, Beaudin, Mitchell). They really need forward talent up front though. Regardless of where they land in the draft, I'm sure that will be their next step.. drafting a forward high.

Another thing that'll help this franchise immensely is getting rid of that god awful Seabrook contract (thanks Stan), but that's another discussion entirely. 

Well sure, if they can add another young superstar the calculus changes, but realistically, I am going to not count on that.

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well sure, if they can add another young superstar the calculus changes, but realistically, I am going to not count on that.

This team is bad enough. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a top 3-5 pick in general at this rate unless the lottery balls are extremely cruel.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

This team is bad enough. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a top 3-5 pick in general at this rate unless the lottery balls are extremely cruel.

Its a Chicago team.  They will win just enough games to end up 1 slot behind however deep the elite talent is in the draft.

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread