Official NHL COVID season thread

On 7/9/2019 at 7:41 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I thought they could have received more, but Nylander has crazy upside and they have at least 5 D with similar or better upside than Jokiharju. I'm going to let this play out before tearing Stan a new asshole for this one. Kneejerk reaction was ew though. 

Who?

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Who?

The Hawks. 

Boqvist is the hockey defenseman version of Moncada as a prospect. 

Vlasic has top paring potential due to his size/skating/shot combo

Mitchell and Beaudin are at least as good of a prospect as Jokiharju, but are farther away. Both have more upside IMO. 

You could argue Krys is as good as well. 

There. 5 guys. Everyone is overrating being NHL ready. I don't mind that they traded Jokiharju, but I thought it would have been more prudent to leave a spot open for him by, say, not trading for Maatta, and establishing his NHL value first. This was poor asset management, and I won't deny that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Hawks. 

Boqvist is the hockey defenseman version of Moncada as a prospect. 

Vlasic has top paring potential due to his size/skating/shot combo

Mitchell and Beaudin are at least as good of a prospect as Jokiharju, but are farther away. Both have more upside IMO. 

You could argue Krys is as good as well. 

There. 5 guys. Everyone is overrating being NHL ready. I don't mind that they traded Jokiharju, but I thought it would have been more prudent to leave a spot open for him by, say, not trading for Maatta, and establishing his NHL value first. This was poor asset management, and I won't deny that. 

That's the thing. It's like pitching in baseball, you can't have enough, especially when you're an organization that has a terrible defense like the Hawks. Jokiharju had enough good moments to show me he was going to be worst a #4, but after Colliton took over they gave up on him and instead went out and acquired dopes like Olli Maatta.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:39 PM, soxfan49 said:

That's the thing. It's like pitching in baseball, you can't have enough, especially when you're an organization that has a terrible defense like the Hawks. Jokiharju had enough good moments to show me he was going to be worst a #4, but after Colliton took over they gave up on him and instead went out and acquired dopes like Olli Maatta.

The Hawks don't have a terrible defense anymore. De Haan and Maatta are solid. They actually have one of the deepest defensive groups in the NHL now. 

Unless you think both Murphy and Gustafsson suck. If you think that, I can't take your hockey analysis seriously. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Hawks don't have a terrible defense anymore. De Haan and Maatta are solid. They actually have one of the deepest defensive groups in the NHL now. 

Unless you think both Murphy and Gustafsson suck. If you think that, I can't take your hockey analysis seriously. 

Murphy is decent. Gustafsson isn't very good defensively.

If you think Maatta is "solid," I can't take your hockey analysis seriously.

18 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Murphy is decent. Gustafsson isn't very good defensively.

If you think Maatta is "solid," I can't take your hockey analysis seriously.

Maatta is slow, but he's still solid. He's also 24 and has had a myriad of health issues. See what he can do after he puts that behind him.

Gustafsson is average defensively. Just because he doesn't wow you doesn't mean he's still not average. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maatta is slow, but he's still solid. He's also 24 and has had a myriad of health issues. See what he can do after he puts that behind him.

Gustafsson is average defensively. Just because he doesn't wow you doesn't mean he's still not average. 

It sounds like the Hawks have a lot of "average" guys playing defense which should bode well in 2019-2020.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

It sounds like the Hawks have a lot of "average" guys playing defense which should bode well in 2019-2020.

If you consider second pairing guys average, then yes. They have Keith who is at worst an awesome defensive defenseman, they have 4 2nd pairing guys in Gustafsson, Murphy, De Haan and Maatta, and then they have the borderline players of Seabrook, Koekkoek, and Dahlstrom. 

1 hour ago, EvilJester99 said:

I’d imagine they may take the savings to resign Perlini. 

There's no spot for both Perlini and Nylander. Perlini should be traded, but they shouldn't just give him away. They should be able to get similar value to Burakovsky. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 5:46 PM, SoxAce said:

Rare to see a player get his number retired only playing 1 season. Pretty incredible for Kaner (and it won't be the first time he sees his number in the rafters).

Kane's 88 will be in the UC rafters some day, and well deserved as if there was a bigger understatement. 

Kaner deserves a lot of credit for how he grew as a person and a player. 

16 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Kane's 88 will be in the UC rafters some day, and well deserved as if there was a bigger understatement. 

Kaner deserves a lot of credit for how he grew as a person and a player. 

In my opinion, the best player that has ever put on the Blackhawks sweater.

3 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

In my opinion, the best player that has ever put on the Blackhawks sweater.

Hard to argue it. He's also a better player now than even as a younger player. His style of play means there is a good chance he's going to be productive well into his 30s. 

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Tony said:

Really good deal by Stan. I think he's trying to line things up where Toews-Kane-Keith all become FA's after the 2022-2023 season, and now DeBrincat will as well, and I'm assuming they are trying to work out a similar deal with Strome right now. Have a new wave to lock into long term deals once the original core is gone. 

Honest question: Do 19 and 88 ever wear another uniform? 

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's literally impossible to answer that question now. But the simplest answer is....yes, of course there is a chance they leave the Hawks. It can happen any number of ways. 

I know, but it keeps seeming more and more likely. As a fan, I hope they retire having never played a game in another uniform. In the Cap world I realize that's really unlikely. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

2022-2023 is a long way away, injuries can happen, performance can take a nosedive, etc. 

Keith will pretty much 100% retire after his deal, so that's done. It will be very interesting to see where Kane and Toews are at by then. I'd love to see them here for their entire career too, but things might just get too expensive. 

I think Kane is going to age gracefully and I think he's more likely to finish here. Look at Martin St. Louis' 30s and I think Kane's are going to look a lot like that. With Toews, I have no idea as he's already been up and down the last few years. St. Louis was putting up 80+ points until age 35. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/stlouma01.html

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread