southsider2k5

Official 2018-2019 NHL thread

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Hawks. 

Boqvist is the hockey defenseman version of Moncada as a prospect. 

Vlasic has top paring potential due to his size/skating/shot combo

Mitchell and Beaudin are at least as good of a prospect as Jokiharju, but are farther away. Both have more upside IMO. 

You could argue Krys is as good as well. 

There. 5 guys. Everyone is overrating being NHL ready. I don't mind that they traded Jokiharju, but I thought it would have been more prudent to leave a spot open for him by, say, not trading for Maatta, and establishing his NHL value first. This was poor asset management, and I won't deny that. 

That's the thing. It's like pitching in baseball, you can't have enough, especially when you're an organization that has a terrible defense like the Hawks. Jokiharju had enough good moments to show me he was going to be worst a #4, but after Colliton took over they gave up on him and instead went out and acquired dopes like Olli Maatta.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:39 PM, soxfan49 said:

That's the thing. It's like pitching in baseball, you can't have enough, especially when you're an organization that has a terrible defense like the Hawks. Jokiharju had enough good moments to show me he was going to be worst a #4, but after Colliton took over they gave up on him and instead went out and acquired dopes like Olli Maatta.

The Hawks don't have a terrible defense anymore. De Haan and Maatta are solid. They actually have one of the deepest defensive groups in the NHL now. 

Unless you think both Murphy and Gustafsson suck. If you think that, I can't take your hockey analysis seriously. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Hawks don't have a terrible defense anymore. De Haan and Maatta are solid. They actually have one of the deepest defensive groups in the NHL now. 

Unless you think both Murphy and Gustafsson suck. If you think that, I can't take your hockey analysis seriously. 

Murphy is decent. Gustafsson isn't very good defensively.

If you think Maatta is "solid," I can't take your hockey analysis seriously.

18 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Murphy is decent. Gustafsson isn't very good defensively.

If you think Maatta is "solid," I can't take your hockey analysis seriously.

Maatta is slow, but he's still solid. He's also 24 and has had a myriad of health issues. See what he can do after he puts that behind him.

Gustafsson is average defensively. Just because he doesn't wow you doesn't mean he's still not average. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maatta is slow, but he's still solid. He's also 24 and has had a myriad of health issues. See what he can do after he puts that behind him.

Gustafsson is average defensively. Just because he doesn't wow you doesn't mean he's still not average. 

It sounds like the Hawks have a lot of "average" guys playing defense which should bode well in 2019-2020.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

It sounds like the Hawks have a lot of "average" guys playing defense which should bode well in 2019-2020.

If you consider second pairing guys average, then yes. They have Keith who is at worst an awesome defensive defenseman, they have 4 2nd pairing guys in Gustafsson, Murphy, De Haan and Maatta, and then they have the borderline players of Seabrook, Koekkoek, and Dahlstrom. 

Hawks save 1.2 mil in cap space. They have alot of forwards right now. Wonder if Perlini is the next one out the door soon. 

Don't know much about Smith, but can't really complain about dumping Anisimov. I had hoped for a lot more from him, but I don't really know why.

Pretty meh trade. I've been reading online reaction and nobody seems to like it or dislike it. I'm in that boat as well. I actually liked Anisimov but it's nice to have some more flexibility 

1 hour ago, EvilJester99 said:

I’d imagine they may take the savings to resign Perlini. 

There's no spot for both Perlini and Nylander. Perlini should be traded, but they shouldn't just give him away. They should be able to get similar value to Burakovsky. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Rare to see a player get his number retired only playing 1 season. Pretty incredible for Kaner (and it won't be the first time he sees his number in the rafters).

On 9/1/2019 at 5:46 PM, SoxAce said:

Rare to see a player get his number retired only playing 1 season. Pretty incredible for Kaner (and it won't be the first time he sees his number in the rafters).

Kane's 88 will be in the UC rafters some day, and well deserved as if there was a bigger understatement. 

Kaner deserves a lot of credit for how he grew as a person and a player. 

16 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Kane's 88 will be in the UC rafters some day, and well deserved as if there was a bigger understatement. 

Kaner deserves a lot of credit for how he grew as a person and a player. 

In my opinion, the best player that has ever put on the Blackhawks sweater.

3 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

In my opinion, the best player that has ever put on the Blackhawks sweater.

Hard to argue it. He's also a better player now than even as a younger player. His style of play means there is a good chance he's going to be productive well into his 30s.