Official NHL COVID season thread

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

You are being laughed at. The Havlat/Hossa stuff is probably some message board nonsense that can't be proven. He would absolutely not have 10 calls within hours of his firing. Again: laughable.

Bowman has little to do with these Stanley Cups. Aside from Debrincat, Shaw, and I guess Dach, who has he drafted (oh and Jokiharju and Teuvo who he stupidly traded for scrubs)? He's made terrible trades. He's given away horrific contracts. The guy is a dope and the coach he hired is even worse.

He has drafted NHL players late in the 1st round since he's been GM. Drafting is his biggest strength. It isn't his fault Kevin Hayes didn't sign. Dach and Boqvist look like future studs. 

He made the right decision letting Niemi walk and matching Hjalmarsson's offer sheet. 

The 2013 and 2015 Cups are a direct result of his drafting and shrewd moves.

Even since 2015 can count the number of bad moves he's made on one hand. Also, the only bad move he's made since Q got fired is trading Jokiharju, and the Jury's still out on that one. Jokiharju is on pace for fewer than 20 points and has not established himself as a top 4 D in Buffalo. Nylander has made strides recently. The value wasn't the greatest but I think the Hawks had a lower value on Jokiharju than other teams did. 

You can yell and scream Panarin and Teravainen until you're blue in the face but that doesn't change the fact that they would have had to trade them anyway. People forget how much of a disappointment Teravainen was with the Hawks. The cap space was more important than waiting 2 more seasons for him to break out. 

Regardless of what Panarin says, are you going to trade 19 or 88 to keep him? 

What the hell was Bowman supposed to do with Seabrook? In retrospect, the right move would have been to trade Seabrook and Hjalmarsson in the summer of 15. How are you going to sell taking that big of a step back to your fans coming off of a championship? 

Is Bowman perfect? No. But nobody is. I'm ok if they fire him, but be careful what you wish for. 

This is going down exactly like the Bulls collapse. We're so busy pointing fingers that we can't appreciate what they accomplished. 

The reason I'm hesitant to fire Bowman is that he and Kelley are so damn good at drafting, and young players are what they need right now. If it wasn't for that, I'd be on the boat with you. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

From defending Bowman to not defending him to defending him and now potentially not defending him all in a matter of, what, 7 months? You cannot make this stuff up

Well, now that there's more info out there it is more defensible. 3rd round picks or worse aren't going to move the needle any, so if that's what they're being offered, then wtf is he supposed to do? 

BTW, I just went through this entire thread and I've been pretty consistent on defending Bowman. I don't know what planet you're from. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well, now that there's more info out there it is more defensible. 3rd round picks or worse aren't going to move the needle any, so if that's what they're being offered, then wtf is he supposed to do? 

BTW, I just went through this entire thread and I've been pretty consistent on defending Bowman. I don't know what planet you're from. 

Me? From a different planet? Listen to yourself.

You defended Bowman ad nauseam in the Bowman vs Q debate, and shortly thereafter (and I could be mistaken), you slightly changed your stance by saying "well, I can see both sides." Now recently you fully backed Bowman again, only to now say "well he should get fired if he doesn't trade players." 

Stunning, really.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Put a roster together with players worth more than 3rd round picks.

^^^

Edited by soxfan49

28 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Me? From a different planet? Listen to yourself.

You defended Bowman ad nauseam in the Bowman vs Q debate, and shortly thereafter (and I could be mistaken), you slightly changed your stance by saying "well, I can see both sides." Now recently you fully backed Bowman again, only to now say "well he should get fired if he doesn't trade players." 

Stunning, really.

^^^

And I have and always believed that the majority of Bowman's horrible moves from 2015-17 were because those were the specific players that Quenneville wanted. I don't think it's a coincidence that Brandon Manning was signed and then traded weeks after Quenneville's dismissal. Daley for Scuderi was a Quenneville move, I also believe Saad for Panarin was a Quenneville move. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

47 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Good news: Blackhawks moved some players

Bad news: They didn't get enough

The United Center needs to be fumigated

Yea not a good deadline at all for Bowman. I advocated selling high on Gustafsson last season when he had an outlier year (was never a fan). And that return for Lehner is underwhelming considering the goalie he is, although I can understand it somewhat because the goalie market isn't great.

We'll see what this Demin kid does but if he gets Mitchell signed, then that's a win. He and Mitchell are college teammates FYI. 

Hawks just need to pick a lane. They are becoming too much like the Red Wings holding onto the core guys as they age and thinking they can still compete. McDonough, Bowman, etc need to just rebuild this thing, not retool. You have Dach, Boqvist, DeBrincat, Mitchell (hopefully coming), etc. You are going to have another top 10 pick this year... stop adding bandaids and trading picks. Add to that. 

Hell of a game despite the loss. I'm probably one of the few that hopes Saad stays around. He'll frustrate you with his lack of finish, but he does sooo much good out there that it easily offsets that. Plus he's always been durable (minus this season and he'll still likely play 70 games). I've always been pro Saad... (barring someone overpaying to acquire him)

Oh and St. Louis just helping out the Hawks future (draft). You love to see it. 

Some Hawks surprised when Lehner moved out

"I'm not really commenting on the direction," Toews said. "That's not really up to me to talk about."

But what if it takes a while for the Hawks to start going in the right direction?

Like three years? Or four? Or five?

Are Toews, Kane and Keith willing to be that patient?

"That's something we'll have to discuss with (John McDonough) after the season and kind of see where everyone's at," Kane said. "I'm sure they'll be some conversations once the season's over."

Interesting...

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Please, state your evidence. And rumors from Twitter and HFBoards don’t count. 

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20200225/some-hawks-surprised-when-lehner-moved-out?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Notice who Kane said he's going to talk to about the direction of the team this summer. Not Bowman, Not Colliton....McDonough. Straight from the horse's mouth. 

Stuff like this makes me believe that he's the one making the major decisions. I do wonder how much autonomy Bowman actually has. Rumblings have been around for years that all moves have to go through him, so that's probably why it took the Hawks so long to move some of their players over the years, as well as yesterday. I have a feeling that the Hawks are going to start to have similar problems to the Cubs under the Tribune Co. as long as McDonough is still employed. 

It's the same quote that @SoxAce posted. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tony said:

So one quote, with John McDonough paraphrased and not even directly mentioned, is what you are basing this entire premise on?

It’s amazing the lengths you will go to when trying to defend one of your “takes” 

On Monday Jack said he'll lose faith in Bowman if they don't move anyone. Now "it took long because of McDonough because RUMBLINGS." It's unbelievable, really.

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread