southsider2k5

Official 2018-2019 NHL thread

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Crawford doesn't want it to be public knowledge, he's protected under HIPAA laws. As long as he doesn't want it out there it won't be, and fans will be frustrated. It is what it is. 

I know more about HIPAA laws than most when it comes to athletes, so I get it. This is a totally different animal. Name me another instance similar to this, where for 8 months, the public has no idea what injury was suffered by a player. It’s not even been 100% confirmed as a head injury. There have been rumors for months about substance abuse, and the Hawks never commented. I also was making a statement on the media in this town, seemingly never pressing the issue even the slightest, asking why this has all been so secretive, what the real issue is. 

“It is what it is” is nonsense here. It absolutely ISN'T what it is.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I know more about HIPAA laws than most when it comes to athletes, so I get it. This is a totally different animal. Name me another instance similar to this, where for 8 months, the public has no idea what injury was suffered by a player. It’s not even been 100% confirmed as a head injury. There have been rumors for months about substance abuse, and the Hawks never commented. I also was making a statement on the media in this town, seemingly never pressing the issue even the slightest, asking why this has all been so secretive, what the real issue is. 

Ok I'll defer to you then. Why would they not disclose his injury? Why would they be so secretive?  Why would they not let the public know what it is? The only reason I can think of is that they want to keep butts in seats and they know it is bad. When weird things happen, in any public matter, follow the money. 

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ok I'll defer to you then. Why would they not disclose his injury? Why would they be so secretive?  Why would they not let the public know what it is? The only reason I can think of is that they want to keep butts in seats and they know it is bad. When weird things happen, in any public matter, follow the money. 

I guess that’s the point. What’s the secret? Is it a lingering concussion? Is it vision? It is something totally different? Is is substance abuse?

Corey Crawford at his peak was/is probably a Top 5 goalie in the league, for one of the most popular franchises in hockey. How have eight months gone by and the public has no idea what’s wrong with him? Name me an example where this has happened in another sport. 

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

I guess that’s the point. What’s the secret? Is it a lingering concussion? Is it vision? It is something totally different? Is is substance abuse?

Corey Crawford at his peak was/is probably a Top 5 goalie in the league, for one of the most popular franchises in hockey. How have eight months gone by and the public has no idea what’s wrong with him? Name me an example where this has happened in another sport. 

Bo Jackson, but that is because the Raiders didn't know what was wrong with him either. 

4 hours ago, Tony said:

The fact that there hasn't been a single leak or "source" hinting at the problem is crazy too. We have had crazy message board rumors from my sister's cop boyfriend, but absolutely nothing has come out from a trusted source yet.

And Corey comes out and says I'm not 100% yet, but I'm getting there, but also mentions worries about his long term post hockey health. Yet there are zero questions about what his actual.injury is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Last I checked, Corey sitting out for an undisclosed reason keeps butts out of the seats, we couldn't give away our tickets at the end of last season. What is their financial motive if the Hawks keep losing and he still says he cant play?

20 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The fact that there hasn't been a single leak or "source" hinting at the problem is crazy too. We have had crazy message board rumors from my sister's cop boyfriend, but absolutely nothing has come out from a trusted source yet.

And Corey comes out and says I'm not 100% yet, but I'm getting there, but also mentions worries about his long term post hockey health. Yet there are zero questions about what his actual.injury is.

Thank you. And again, I put a large chunk of this on the media too. I don’t understand where the pushback is from media. You know, journalists trying to get to the bottom of a story? It’s a really weird and screwed up situation. 

37 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I think they're holding off  because they think that if there is hope that Crawford is still a top 5 goalie, STH won't cancel en masse. If he's not ready toward the end of training camp, and there is still no issue, they will have all of their money from STH and then they can announce what is wrong and how long he's going to be out for. They have to get paid first. I know that STH couldn't give their tix away, my best friend and his dad have them. I truly believe that it is bad, he's probably not playing again during the remainder of his contract, and they're squeezing one last year of the cup run STH gravy train before a lot of them choose not to renew. If what I believe to be correct is correct,  in  2019-20 there will be a lot of empty seats at the UC. The fact that Anton Forsberg is still on the roster tells you a ton about the situation. He's waiver eligible, and I think a team would have taken a flyer on him via trade with how many teams needed goalies this offseason. 

9 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I still believe there's some truth to that considering I've seen posters from other message boards hint at something similar but I won't rehash old tales.

42 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I still believe there's some truth to that considering I've seen posters from other message boards hint at something similar but I won't rehash old tales.

When the Blackhawks say nothing and the media refuses to investigate or ask questions,  it helps those message board rumors grow legs too. At this point,  I feel like you cant count out any theory.

17 hours ago, Tony said:

Yeah, this is nuts.

3 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Whoa

You see the return Ottawa got back? Seems like they like SJ bending them over.

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

You see the return Ottawa got back? Seems like they like SJ bending them over.

I'd be lying  if I said I knew anything the prospects traded, but I can't imagine the Senators had much leverage, if any. He was obviously disgruntled and only a year from free agency, if they hadn't signed him.long term by now, it wasn't gonna happen.

Either way, the West is just stacked again, with Pacioretty going to Vegas too. Even if everything goes right for the Hawks and the core returns to old form, it still gonna be a battle to make any waves in the playoffs.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:36 AM, southsider2k5 said:

That's fucking crazy. Murphy was the man for a decent period. I loved me some 90's Blackhawks.