southsider2k5

Official 2018-2019 NHL thread

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Blackhawks looked good. Saad looked good. 3-1 win. I'll take it 

They've been really bipolar this season. Either they look like a playoff team or among the worst teams in NHL history. The latter usually occurs during a Ward start, though he wasn't the problem Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Blackhawks looked good. Saad looked good. 3-1 win. I'll take it 

Saad has been a mad man the past couple of games. Great to see. DeBrincat not backing down from Manson was the highlight of the night.

Edited by SoxAce

On 10/22/2018 at 2:41 PM, GGajewski18 said:

The Hawks defense is an embarrassment.  Gustaffson, Manning, and Rutta have no business in the NHL.

Offensively I like Gus. He makes some pretty nice passes.

Q's seat is getting warmer and warmer each game. Hawks are now looking like they might be in on the Jack Hughes sweepstakes...

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Q's seat is getting warmer and warmer each game. Hawks are now looking like they might be in on the Jack Hughes sweepstakes...

Yeah, a good team wins 2/3 on that road trip. 

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, a good team wins 2/3 on that road trip. 

Which this team hasn’t been for about a year now.

It’s a bad roster. It was a bad roster in the offseason, it was a bad roster in the preseason, and it’s a bad roster now. 

Bowman should be gone before Q, honestly. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Which this team hasn’t been for about a year now.

It’s a bad roster. It was a bad roster in the offseason, it was a bad roster in the preseason, and it’s a bad roster now. 

Bowman should be gone before Q, honestly. 

I disagree, mostly because the Hawks special teams have been putrid during most of of Q's time here. I'd like to see what this team could do with a modern PP/PK. Bowman has been great at drafting, which is needed now more than ever. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I disagree, mostly because the Hawks special teams have been putrid during most of of Q's time here. I'd like to see what this team could do with a modern PP/PK. Bowman has been great at drafting, which is needed now more than ever. 

Stan Bowman is responsible for a roster that has continued to deteriorate year after year. Bad trades, extensions when they aren’t needed, and just poor evaluation of players. 

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Stan Bowman is responsible for a roster that has continued to deteriorate year after year. Bad trades, extensions when they aren’t needed, and just poor evaluation of players. 

No the NHL salary cap is responsible for that. I won't argue about some of the extensions, but the Cap is more responsible for the Hawks problems than anything else. That is the cap doing it's job. The other unintended consequence of the cap is that trading players when cap strapped prevents a team from getting fair value for its players. What are they going to do, forfeit games until they get a fair deal? \

Panarin for Saad was 100% a cap move. 

The only move that really hurt the Hawks long-term was Seabrook. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No the NHL salary cap is responsible for that. I won't argue about some of the extensions, but the Cap is more responsible for the Hawks problems than anything else. That is the cap doing it's job. The other unintended consequence of the cap is that trading players when cap strapped prevents a team from getting fair value for its players. What are they going to do, forfeit games until they get a fair deal? \

Panarin for Saad was 100% a cap move. 

The only move that really hurt the Hawks long-term was Seabrook. 

That’s the easy, low hanging fruit answer. The cap hasn’t been crippling to the Penguins. Hasn’t seemed to close the window for the Bruins. 

Asset management has been piss poor for the Hawks the last 4-5 years. That and incredible lack of imagination with scouting. Versteeg x3. Ladd? Sharp? Oduya? Kruger this season? 

Keep defending this roster. See where it’s at next year, then beyond.It’s going to get worse before it gets better. 

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

That’s the easy, low hanging fruit answer. The cap hasn’t been crippling to the Penguins. Hasn’t seemed to close the window for the Bruins. 

Asset management has been piss poor for the Hawks the last 4-5 years. That and incredible lack of imagination with scouting. Versteeg x3. Ladd? Sharp? Oduya? Kruger this season? 

Keep defending this roster. See where it’s at next year, then beyond.It’s going to get worse before it gets better. 

I'm not defending the roster, because I know it is and was crap. I know it is going to get worse before better. There isn't much Bowman can do really. Even last season, they were up against the cap. The only reason they have any room now is because of the Hossa LTIRetirment. The only thing the Hawks could have done to avoid the cap trouble they've had is to let one of 19/88 walk or not sign Seabrook. Signing Seabrook was dumb at the time and remains dumb. You can't afford to have even one bad contract in today's NHL. 

In any event, The Penguins had the advantage of one thing: Timing. They signed Malkin and Crosby before the new CBA removed back diving contracts(Crosby) and immediately after that CBA had written(Malkin), before star salaries started to go north of 10M. If the Penguins had to sign Crosby and Malkin 2 years later they'd be making 11-12.5M each, and I'm not sure they could have put a good team around them. Their last two cups are about luck and timing more than anything else. It helps Pittsburgh that Both Crosby and Malkin are better players than any forward the Hawks have.  Also, the Bruins have Bergeron on a long term deal at 6.5M and they wouldn't be able to have a competitive team either without that contract. That one was also signed before the last CBA negotiation, otherwise, it would be in the 9-10M range.  They're both benefiting from luck and timing more than anything else. Sorry, not a good comparison. 

The only comparison that the Hawks can really have are the Kings and Ducks, and they're bad too. The Hawks are the first successful team to feel the true wrath of the salary cap. Some other teams have benefited from timing that the Hawks didn't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Hawks need to do something about their pro scouting. Their amateur and European scouting is great. Their pro scouting on the other hand is one of the worst in the NHL. I mean Brandon Manning? Chris Kunitz? That is definitely on Bowman sure, but somebody needs to be fired for recommending that. 

12 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Hawks need to do something about their pro scouting. Their amateur and European scouting is great. Their pro scouting on the other hand is one of the worst in the NHL. I mean Brandon Manning? Chris Kunitz? That is definitely on Bowman sure, but somebody needs to be fired for recommending that. 

I think that was more Quenneville wanting vets than anything else.