Official NHL COVID season thread

17 hours ago, Tony said:

I guess that’s the point. What’s the secret? Is it a lingering concussion? Is it vision? It is something totally different? Is is substance abuse?

Corey Crawford at his peak was/is probably a Top 5 goalie in the league, for one of the most popular franchises in hockey. How have eight months gone by and the public has no idea what’s wrong with him? Name me an example where this has happened in another sport. 

Yeah, this is nuts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

You see the return Ottawa got back? Seems like they like SJ bending them over.

I'd be lying  if I said I knew anything the prospects traded, but I can't imagine the Senators had much leverage, if any. He was obviously disgruntled and only a year from free agency, if they hadn't signed him.long term by now, it wasn't gonna happen.

Either way, the West is just stacked again, with Pacioretty going to Vegas too. Even if everything goes right for the Hawks and the core returns to old form, it still gonna be a battle to make any waves in the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And Crawford is not healthy.  Still suffering the effects of a concussion 

December 23, 2017:  Crawford leaves a game and hasn't played since.

September 14, 2018: Crawford and the Hawks finally admit he suffered a concussion.

Meanwhile, 9 months of speculation, drug/rehab rumors, reputation dragging through the mud, etc.  Well played Hawks. 

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

December 23, 2017:  Crawford leaves a game and hasn't played since.

September 14, 2018: Crawford and the Hawks finally admit he suffered a concussion.

Meanwhile, 9 months of speculation, drug/rehab rumors, reputation dragging through the mud, etc.  Well played Hawks. 

Yeah, they should have just said he was suffering from Post-Concussion in March. So dumb to get his name dragged through the mud like that. 

Regardless, Crow is only 2 years older than me, so I hope for his sake that his quality of life is ok regardless of whether or not he is able to suit up for the Hawks again. Post-Concussion sucks, and he should get some counseling for dealing with his symptoms in as positive of a manner as he can.

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Insp said:

Take it that most of you are pessimistic about the Blackhawks this season?

Yeah, with the uncertainty about Crawford, it's hard to see them as anything more than a bottom 5 team in the league. Even if Toews/Saad have bounce back seasons it probably still isn't enough to get them anywhere near the playoffs. It wouldn't shock me if it takes 100 points to get in in the West. Just a ton of really solid teams. They had 99 in 2011 and almost missed. It took a loss by the Wild on the last day of the season for them to qualify. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 9/15/2018 at 5:31 AM, Insp said:

Take it that most of you are pessimistic about the Blackhawks this season?

Haha. My take is I have no earthly idea what to expect. Lets review the questions:

1-Number 1 issue is Crow, period. If he's out, then Ward comes in. Ward is a nice stop gap, 30 game guy, but his days as a horse netminder are done. If Crow is healthy you can add 15 points to the ledger

2-AGE. Has it caught up? Keith is 35, but still has wheels, Seabrook looked done last year, but reports are he worked out over the summer and is slimmer and trimmer, which should only help. I can't stomach watching him walked wide consistently again this year against the new-age speed demons of the NHL. 

3-D-pairings. No idea. If Seabrook can return to form you have 2 guys in the top 4. After that it's a crap shoot. Gustaffson sucks in his own zone, Rutta shows promise, Manning is a high character guy set up as a third pairing, Forsling and Murphy are injured, Jokiharu is a 19 year old wet behind the ears prospect. Hillman? Who knows. They have more questions at defense than a calculus exam

4-Center/Faceoffs. Schmatlz looks to have Line 2-C locked up. He's a dynamic talent who can't win draws. Anisimov is a plodding talent who also can't win draws. Enter Kruger. He is back in Chicago and is MANDATORY to help on the PK. I also argue that Toews needs to BE REMOVED from the penalty kill. His game is a down low heavy game, he takes a lot of abuse. Pace him for goodness sake Coach. Limit his usage on the PK so he's more effective elsewhere

5-KIDS. Does Debrincat step up bigger this year, Kahun, Edjsell, Jokiharu, Highmore, Sikura, Hayden, Fortin are a bunch of names with various upside. Do 2 or 3 of those guys step up to be contributors? If so, the Hawks are looking way better. If not and they have to rely on 1 good scoring line again, long season awaits.

6-Return to Form. Saad/Seabrook/Toews. Seabrook discussed, but we HAVE to get 19 and 20 going, period. Another 50 pt year for Toews and another 30 point year for Saad and it's lights out. If they return to form the Hawks have two blistering lines. Line 3 is a work in progress, but reports are AA/Sikura/Edjsell are showing very well, which stands to be produce optimism.

The Hawks right now are NOWHERE near teams like Nashville for raw talent, but there is a enough veteran proven talent and young exciting kids that if they all round into form together the Hawks could make the playoffs. I don't see a long run, but playoffs are always a crap shoot anyway, so just getting there will be a great accomplishment. 

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread