Official NHL COVID season thread

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Tarasenko is out until March

Basically the season. If the Blues were smart they should LTIR him and acquire a big time player at the deadline and get Tarasenko back in the playoffs similar to what the Hawks did with Kane a few years ago. There's no salary cap during the playoffs so they can go over it.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I mean, he legit has the worst deal in the league. Even taking back a bunch of money, who would take on that deal? 

I applaud Colliton for having the balls to do it. Not even Quenneville scratched him on consecutive games and he was terrible then. I just don't personally like the entitlement from the quotes by Seabrook. Yes we know you helped  win 3 cups and your number will be raised in the banners after you retire, but you are not just automatically gifted playing time every game (not to mention you don't even train in Chicago or even a gym in Canada anymore, it's at home). It's a welcomed sight honestly.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I totally agree with you. 

But that doesn't answer the question about the NMC. It would be great if Seabrook waived it, but that doesn't seem like the issue :) 

Hey I'll take the baby steps with him at least waiving lol. I know it's a whole other animal for teams to take him but at least it's not a team(s) under his terms only.

At what point does Colliton get put on the hot seat?  I know he's Bowman's hand picked replacement, but performances like that can't happen.  Nashville is a better roster, but they aren't THAT much better.  That's multiple stinkers where the team just flat didn't show up.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:17 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

At what point does Colliton get put on the hot seat?  I know he's Bowman's hand picked replacement, but performances like that can't happen.  Nashville is a better roster, but they aren't THAT much better.  That's multiple stinkers where the team just flat didn't show up.

The Hawks defense remains trash.  Conor Murphy is the best D man on the team and he's made of glass.  

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Oh shit.. 👀

My guy is up!

I'm excited. I can't wait to see what Bo can do on the PP and in general. I just hope he's physically up for the task. Good riddance to Gus it seems like. I think there's going to be a huge shakeup shortly. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 5:17 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

On 10/31/2019 at 12:41 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I'm excited. I can't wait to see what Bo can do on the PP and in general. I just hope he's physically up for the task. Good riddance to Gus it seems like. I think there's going to be a huge shakeup shortly. 

Too early for the hot seat and a shakeup did occur but not a player shakeup. After the last road trip. the Hawks changed their scheme about how they exited the D-zone. The run they went on at the end of last year bought him some time . They added some good players and now Boqvist and Dach look like they will be sticking around. Seems like the new guys need time to gel . I've liked what I've seen from Kubalik, Nylander ,and Carpenter.

I know Maata isn't a favorite here but he's only a  -1 and doesn't take penalties. DeHaan is a +3 and also doesn't take too many penalties.

Lehner has been great. On paper this Hawks team should be better

Looks like the Hawks opened the season playing a more defensive minded game maybe because their defensemen are slow and can't score . That scheme however stifled the offense specifically with how they exited the D-zone, So after the last road trip and perhaps with the urging from players, Collition changed the scheme to allow quicker exit from the D-zone because it seemed clear the offensive guys said too many dump ins and  they had no flow. So the shakeup was in changing the scheme.

Seems to be paying dividend right away . Hawks are 2-0-1 since they switched it. Kane is back on a streak getting 7 points in those 3 games and the power play seems to be much better. If they can continue to play well on the penalty kill without giving up a a crap ton of SOG 5 on 5  they should start playing much better. But as we can see from that last game against Toronto they took penalties and gave up too many SOG and Toronto ended up with 57 SOG with 26 in the third period. Lehner had to be spectacular to pull that game out. So now the players can create more and as Kane goes so go the Hawks. There was a reason Toews had a much better year last year and DeBrincat got 40 goals so if we're now going to see that again I'm all for it. It should also help all the other forwards  because the lines have more offensive depth than last year.

I give Colliton and the players a lot of credit for communicating . Glad Colliton is the kind of coach who isn't afraid to try something different and if it's not working  to go back and change it. Hopefully it keeps working and if they are better than last year, which I think they are, perhaps they will start winning a lot more games now. Would be cool if the new changes free up Dach and Boqvist more and increases their playing time.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/blackhawks/jeremy-colliton-explains-schematic-change-and-why-blackhawks-made-it

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

They FINALLY beat Vegas (0-7 up to that point). 

Crawford looked great. Toews still looks like shit.

It's a very good sign they could finally beat Vegas and Fleury especially in Vegas and coming from a 2 goal deficit. . It's a really good sign that the change they made is working. They are still lousy on D but at least now they are playing to their strength which is offense and goaltending. Also nice to finally see the defense get a few goals. Back at .500 after playing around for the 1st month of the season. Always love to see  (Whatsup ) Dach score.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

I actually don't hate it. Gives him some serious minutes in Rockford, lets him develop. Hawks are playing better, they NEED to try and get into the playoffs. 

Do I think he's probably a better option than a few of the Hawk Dmen? Yeah probably, but he's not going to get Top 4 minutes right now, and he should be, so get them in Rockford. That's my take at least. 

If you look at it that way, sure, but there's no way he doesn't help them get to the playoffs more than f***ing Slater Koekkoek. This is probably best for his development, but I don't think this is a playoff team anyway, so my take is for him to develop in the NHL.

13 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If you look at it that way, sure, but there's no way he doesn't help them get to the playoffs more than f***ing Slater Koekkoek. This is probably best for his development, but I don't think this is a playoff team anyway, so my take is for him to develop in the NHL.

I have 0 issue with Koekkoek this year. He's fine as a 7th defensemen who can fill in. Seabrook is the real problem. 

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread