Official NHL COVID season thread

2 hours ago, Tony said:

LoL....you want to right SO bad about Nylander. 

Pat and Eddie never miss any opportunity to tear him a new asshole, so I was surprised about it. 

Just making an observation. 

btw this has more to do with the fanbase(you included) overrating Jokiharju than anything else. Jokiharju is nothing more than a 3rd pairing D and you make that gamble 10/10 times. Quit acting like they traded Nicklas Lidstrom for Alexandre Daigle. 

Do you subscribe to the Athletic? If so, I'd go to Scott Wheeler's 2017 redraft page in June and read his report on Jokiharju. Not flattering at all. 

https://theathletic.com/1812468/2020/06/09/wheeler-a-2017-nhl-draft-re-draft-and-review-of-my-ranking/

Also, you can pick out the people in the fanbase who hate Bowman by their inability to be objective about Nylander. 

I don't think he's been great by any means but he has shown flashes and is very inconsistent, which is to be expected from a rookie. He's been making an impact defensively when not scoring more often as well and is one of the better forecheckers on the team. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is the last time I'm doing this with you, I promise. 

Alex Nylander has been BAD a hockey since he began his NHL career. There is no way around that. You're like Billy Heywood in Little Big League, getting way too excited for your favorite player hitting a soft single because that's the only positive you have to go off of. 

1. It really has nothing to do with Jokiharju, Nylander just is a bad hockey player. Could he get better? Sure. But we've yet to see it. 

2. You brought up Jokiharju, because you can't get off of it. But what you don't realize is it hurts your argument. Not only do the Hawks need Jokiharju more than Nylander (don't start with your terrible "The Hawks defensive problems are the forwards!" take) but your position is:

"Jokiharju is nothing more than a 3rd pairing D and that's it. Nylander is showing flashes, who knows what he can be!!"

Jokiharji is a year younger than Nylander! He's got more games played than Nylander because he's already a better player than Nylander is. So why can't Jokiharji improve, but Nylander can? 

You're coming at this with a swiss cheese argument. Move on. It's not going well for you. 

Boqvist and Mitchell>>Jokiharju. 

Maatta>Jokiharju 

de Haan>>>Jokiharju 

Where's he gonna play? 

The Hawks were much deeper with defensive prospects than forward prospects. They traded Jokiharju and they're still super deep in defensive prospects. Jokiharju would be in Rockford had they not traded him. The Hawks not only don't need Jokiharju, they don't even have a spot for him. 

Did you hear what Zawaski said from his Hawks source about Jokiharju when they traded him? They think he's maxed out as a player and isn't going to get any better. Wheeler said the same thing. You make that gamble 10/10 times. Has it worked out to this point? No, but the Hawks definitely don't miss Jokiharju all that much. 

Has Nylander been inconsistent as hell and bad more often than not? Yeah. I'd rather have him here than Jokiharju sitting in Rockford waiting to get plucked by Seattle. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

You were wrong at the time of the trade, you're wrong now, and you'll be wrong two years from now. 

You're the only one that doesn't know it. 

tenor.gif

It's beating a dead horse at this point. Let's agree to disagree. 

I'm saying I agree with the thought process behind the trade even though it didn't work. I'm willing to give Nylander 1/2 of next season to show something. He's not completely useless when not scoring, unlike Strome. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'm not a huge Strome fan, but Nylander wishes he could put up points like him. 

Strome wishes he could skate and defend like Nylander. 

If you melded Strome's body, brain and offensive tools with Nylander's skating you'd have a top 5 player in the NHL. Actually all you have to do is give Strome and Nylander a brain transplant. Not possible, but you get the picture. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't care how they do it the next two games, just find a way to steal one more W. I hope Nylander scores 8 goals tonight. How's that? 😜

Much better ! Hey is this thread seriously  called the 2018-2019 NHL thread. I don't usually post from my phone so maybe it's me but if the dates are right then it should be fixed.

• Tony changed the title to Official NHL COVID season thread
6 hours ago, Tony said:

Total domination by Vegas. Not a huge surprise, but haven’t seen a lopsided game like that in a long time. 

That's why some people think it was dumb for them to win the round against Edmonton, but meh now. Knights are probably going to make quick work of the Hawks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman