Jump to content
southsider2k5

Official NHL COVID season thread

Recommended Posts

I am not sure I understand this deal.  What did this do for us that wasn't done before?  I get the 5 million freed up, but with free agency already started, what does that do for the Hawks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony said:

Right, they have to now make a trade (which you would hope they already have lined up) but what assets do they have to land someone of note? 

They just aren't run very well right now. 

They're being run by a GM who knows if they don't make the playoffs this year, he's out. His next move will probably be getting ripped off by a team in a trade that nets the Hawks a decent veteran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

They're being run by a GM who knows if they don't make the playoffs this year, he's out. His next move will probably be getting ripped off by a team in a trade that nets the Hawks a decent veteran.

Yet last off season he made two major trades strictly thinking about 2019-2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am not sure I understand this deal.  What did this do for us that wasn't done before?  I get the 5 million freed up, but with free agency already started, what does that do for the Hawks?

Erik Karlsson next off season. Just gonna roll with that to make me feel better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this has to result in the Hawks trading for some well paid veteran on a bad or rebuilding team, right? I don't follow the rest of the league closely enough to think of trade candidates off the top of my head, but I know I've seen Joel Skinner's name mentioned. Brendan Gallagher? Chris Kreider? Brandon Sutter? No idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'm forever saddened that the Hawks cast Chelios off at the end of his career - or so Wirtz & Co. thought when they didn't want to pay the Norris winner in 99 or so and gave the fucking guy away TO THE FUCKING RED WINGS for Anders Ericson and a bag of pucks (I didn't have to Google this). Chelly only went on to play like another 30 years and lead the league in +/- a few times. Guy was a beast.

Chelios was a Chicago guy. Born and raised. I caught the news he had to leave the Wings to be closer to his Mom whom I'd have to assume is old as fuck a few days ago, and I'm glad he can get a check with and represent the Hawks. We need more 90s Hawks and less 60s Hawks as ambassadors anyway. Get me JR. Get me Joe Murphy, Get me Tony Amonte. Get me Sergei Krivokrasov. Gt me Eric Daze. Get me Eric Weinrich. Bring them to me.

I'll never forget the first time I walked into Chelly's Chili down the road from the UC. I was home. I was among my brethren. Then they dealt him for nothing and ruined it.

 

Anyway, I welcome  Chris Chelios back with open arms and will never stop loving him. At one point I had 3 Chelios jerseys. Home White (at the time white was home), 3rd black, and Nagano Olympics.

 

Funny aside - the 90s were my heyday as a Hawks fan. It never was more important to me. ESPN used to air outdoor beach street hockey. One day this guy was playing and talking mad shit and getting into tons of scrums on the rink. He looked just like Chris Chelios - turns out it was his brother Steve Chelios. #pointlessstory

Thanks for letting me rant about Chris Chelios this morning. 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Yeah I'm fine with it.  Probably will be the next GM lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, I don't blame Chelios for much of anything the Hawks did in the in the late 90's/early 2000's, BUT it was forever a dick move to bring the Stanley Cup to Wrigley Field after the Wings won. A low blow for a lot of different reasons. 

The Hawks have bigger things to worry about anyway :) 

I had a bigger issue with him wearing his Wings jersey on the Hawks 75th anniversary I believe it was. 

Fullscreen-capture-9252010-83554-PM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

 

27 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

I'm forever saddened that the Hawks cast Chelios off at the end of his career - or so Wirtz & Co. thought when they didn't want to pay the Norris winner in 99 or so and gave the fucking guy away TO THE FUCKING RED WINGS for Anders Ericson and a bag of pucks (I didn't have to Google this). Chelly only went on to play like another 30 years and lead the league in +/- a few times. Guy was a beast.

Agree so much with this. I'm personally happy the guy is back in the Hawks org, letting him go tear up with the enemy was crushing as a kid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are so petty. If they wanted Chelios to participate they shouldn't have traded him a year earlier. The guy was being paid millions by the Red Wings because the Hawks dealt him, and you want to blame him for that?

HE HAD TO PLAY IN THE GAME THAT NIGHT. HE WAS PLAYING. WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY EXPECT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve9347 said:

You guys are so petty. If they wanted Chelios to participate they shouldn't have traded him a year earlier. The guy was being paid millions by the Red Wings because the Hawks dealt him, and you want to blame him for that?

HE HAD TO PLAY IN THE GAME THAT NIGHT. HE WAS PLAYING. WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY EXPECT?

Yeah, the whole "he said he'd never play for the Wings" thing is overblown because 1) he got traded there and 2) if I was him, I'd say "I didn't really want to, but since this organization sucks ass so fine, trade me somewhere where I can win."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 3:58 PM, Tony said:

I'm sorry, but it's embarrassing that no media in this town, or the Hawks for that matter, have the stones to say what the injury to Crawford is, and what the hell has been going on that last 8 months. An absolute joke. 

If Crawford doesn't want it to be public knowledge, he's protected under HIPAA laws. As long as he doesn't want it out there it won't be, and fans will be frustrated. It is what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I know more about HIPAA laws than most when it comes to athletes, so I get it. This is a totally different animal. Name me another instance similar to this, where for 8 months, the public has no idea what injury was suffered by a player. It’s not even been 100% confirmed as a head injury. There have been rumors for months about substance abuse, and the Hawks never commented. I also was making a statement on the media in this town, seemingly never pressing the issue even the slightest, asking why this has all been so secretive, what the real issue is. 

 

“It is what it is” is nonsense here. It absolutely ISN'T what it is.

Ok I'll defer to you then. Why would they not disclose his injury? Why would they be so secretive?  Why would they not let the public know what it is? The only reason I can think of is that they want to keep butts in seats and they know it is bad. When weird things happen, in any public matter, follow the money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tony said:

I guess that’s the point. What’s the secret? Is it a lingering concussion? Is it vision? It is something totally different? Is is substance abuse?

Corey Crawford at his peak was/is probably a Top 5 goalie in the league, for one of the most popular franchises in hockey. How have eight months gone by and the public has no idea what’s wrong with him? Name me an example where this has happened in another sport. 

Bo Jackson, but that is because the Raiders didn't know what was wrong with him either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tony said:

I know more about HIPAA laws than most when it comes to athletes, so I get it. This is a totally different animal. Name me another instance similar to this, where for 8 months, the public has no idea what injury was suffered by a player. It’s not even been 100% confirmed as a head injury. There have been rumors for months about substance abuse, and the Hawks never commented. I also was making a statement on the media in this town, seemingly never pressing the issue even the slightest, asking why this has all been so secretive, what the real issue is. 

 

“It is what it is” is nonsense here. It absolutely ISN'T what it is.

The fact that there hasn't been a single leak or "source" hinting at the problem is crazy too. We have had crazy message board rumors from my sister's cop boyfriend, but absolutely nothing has come out from a trusted source yet.

And Corey comes out and says I'm not 100% yet, but I'm getting there, but also mentions worries about his long term post hockey health. Yet there are zero questions about what his actual.injury is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ok I'll defer to you then. Why would they not disclose his injury? Why would they be so secretive?  Why would they not let the public know what it is? The only reason I can think of is that they want to keep butts in seats and they know it is bad. When weird things happen, in any public matter, follow the money. 

Last I checked, Corey sitting out for an undisclosed reason keeps butts out of the seats, we couldn't give away our tickets at the end of last season. What is their financial motive if the Hawks keep losing and he still says he cant play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The fact that there hasn't been a single leak or "source" hinting at the problem is crazy too. We have had crazy message board rumors from my sister's cop boyfriend, but absolutely nothing has come out from a trusted source yet.

And Corey comes out and says I'm not 100% yet, but I'm getting there, but also mentions worries about his long term post hockey health. Yet there are zero questions about what his actual.injury is.

I think they're holding off  because they think that if there is hope that Crawford is still a top 5 goalie, STH won't cancel en masse. If he's not ready toward the end of training camp, and there is still no issue, they will have all of their money from STH and then they can announce what is wrong and how long he's going to be out for. They have to get paid first. I know that STH couldn't give their tix away, my best friend and his dad have them. I truly believe that it is bad, he's probably not playing again during the remainder of his contract, and they're squeezing one last year of the cup run STH gravy train before a lot of them choose not to renew. If what I believe to be correct is correct,  in  2019-20 there will be a lot of empty seats at the UC. The fact that Anton Forsberg is still on the roster tells you a ton about the situation. He's waiver eligible, and I think a team would have taken a flyer on him via trade with how many teams needed goalies this offseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The fact that there hasn't been a single leak or "source" hinting at the problem is crazy too. We have had crazy message board rumors from my sister's cop boyfriend, but absolutely nothing has come out from a trusted source yet.

I still believe there's some truth to that considering I've seen posters from other message boards hint at something similar but I won't rehash old tales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I still believe there's some truth to that considering I've seen posters from other message boards hint at something similar but I won't rehash old tales.

When the Blackhawks say nothing and the media refuses to investigate or ask questions,  it helps those message board rumors grow legs too. At this point,  I feel like you cant count out any theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×