Palka vs Davidson @DH

Jack Parkman

Both have shown signs of life this year, so who should get the ABs? I lean towards platooning them, but who knows. I think Palka has been better honestly though. I guess you could try to hide Palka in LF but he's a butcher. Not against giving him reps there in a lost season. It's not like they have anyone else to play LF until Eloy gets the call. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

In a lost season, I think Palka needs to play every day, whether it’s DH (the spot he’s destined for) or OF (the spot that he could help the Sox lose a few) due to his bat. Remember, he was a very good hitter in Minnesota’s organization but an injury hindered him.

If by September 30 or whatever it is he’s still a mess defensively, I believe he should be the 2019 DH, assuming the bat continues to play. By then we should have a better idea if Davidson is a piece of the future or not, too.

Edited by soxfan49

There is no reason why both can't play in the majority of games. Davidson can play 3B or 1B which means he can spell Yolmer or Abreu & if he plays 3B Yolmer could spell Anderson or Moncada. Palka can play in the RF/LF (even though he sucks) one or two games and DH the rest. A lot Rick could play around with to make sure they are getting enough starts

36 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

There is no reason why both can't play in the majority of games. Davidson can play 3B or 1B which means he can spell Yolmer or Abreu & if he plays 3B Yolmer could spell Anderson or Moncada. Palka can play in the RF/LF (even though he sucks) one or two games and DH the rest. A lot Rick could play around with to make sure they are getting enough starts

This^

Mix and match for the time being. Hopefully by September we'll have a better idea who sticks and where. But for now I'd like to see the Hulk in the lineup every day.

When Leury and Avi come back, it's gonna be Tilson and Thompson the odd men out. Which is kind of unfortunate...we are understandably sacrificing defense for offense. Just sucks we can't have both.

Unless they choose to go with a 5 man bench, which, with it looking like the top 3 of our rotation looking pretty solid, might not be such a horrible idea.

Edited by Scoots

Move them all around. If Davidson needs AB's try him in LF, can't be worse than Palka.

Either way neither are probably the answer, but would be worth taking a look.

The more the year goes on the more I think we see Eloy all year in AAA. Leury will come back. Avi will come back. Cordell will need a look just to see what he is. The OF is going to get crowded and the Sox will use that as an excuse.

A combination of Palka and Davidson at DH would be perfectly acceptable (future-wise).

They're going to have to showcase Leury for a trade if he can get on a hot streak when he returns...Thompson and Tilson are definitely not going to stand in the way of anyone who needs playing time, including Engel/Cordell in there as well.

Odds are we won't get what we want for Garcia and he's a perfect bench weapon for the Sox the next two years due to his positional versatility and base-running speed.

If Skole wasn't already 28, you would even have to give him some more consideration.  That said, nobody every would have predicted Jose Martinez would become a big-league regular in his late 20's (especially for a playoff contender).

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, it was pretty EASY to completely forget about Delmonico after the start that he got off to...he will need at-bats as well.

Palka would seem to have the advantage playing 81 home games at Guaranteed Rate Field.

I'm hoping for the best with guys like Davidson, Palka, Delmonico, etc. but they seem like guys that get at bats during the rebuild but eventually get ousted in favor of more talented players down the line. We need to see what we have and hope players stick, but I'm not all that high on any of them long term. 

I wish Ricky was more flexible with positions.  Try guys in different spots.  Why not?  Yolmer in the OF is the obvious one.  As someone else suggested above, throw Davidson out there.  He can't be worse than Palka.  I'd love to see some more positional flexibility. 

45 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wish Ricky was more flexible with positions.  Try guys in different spots.  Why not?  Yolmer in the OF is the obvious one.  As someone else suggested above, throw Davidson out there.  He can't be worse than Palka.  I'd love to see some more positional flexibility. 

I am curious as to why.  He is the best 3B the team has right now, and is probably the primary backup at 2B and SS.  Yolmer is a pretty good infielder.  I think he should be one of the last to be moved to the OF.  Trying Davidson out there?  Sure, but move Yolmer there to play Davidson at 3B?  That seems weird.  Why turn a situation where you have one good defender and one bad, into one where you have 2 below average defenders?  Also we do not lack for guys to play the OF, even now, with a bunch of guys hurt.

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I am curious as to why.  He is the best 3B the team has right now, and is probably the primary backup at 2B and SS.  Yolmer is a pretty good infielder.  I think he should be one of the last to be moved to the OF.  Trying Davidson out there?  Sure, but move Yolmer there to play Davidson at 3B?  That seems weird.  Why turn a situation where you have one good defender and one bad, into one where you have 2 below average defenders?  Also we do not lack for guys to play the OF, even now, with a bunch of guys hurt.

This isn't a bash on Yolmer - he is a great infielder.  But it's quite likely that his future on this team is a utility player.  It would be beneficial if he could play the OF when that time comes.  I don't think the Sox plan on him being the longterm 3B and 2B and SS are covered.  

I am not suggesting Yolmer play OF everyday.   But plugging him in there now and then gets his feet wet in meaningless games, and it also allows the Sox to get Davidson and Palka in the lineup everyday.  

10 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Davidson doesn't have any positional flexibility and they want to be able to use his bat without disrupting Abreu, and without losing Yolmer.