How eventful will be this years deadline?

wrathofhahn

Regarding Rodon, if I were Rick Hahn, I would approach him about a long-term extension. 

I know that his agent is Scott Boras but Boras did secure an extension for Steven Strasburg, who has been more injury prone than Rodon throughout the course of his career. The Sox do need to start keeping some guys around and signing Rodon to a team friendly extension also makes him more valuable. 

35 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Regarding Rodon, if I were Rick Hahn, I would approach him about a long-term extension. 

I know that his agent is Scott Boras but Boras did secure an extension for Steven Strasburg, who has been more injury prone than Rodon throughout the course of his career. The Sox do need to start keeping some guys around and signing Rodon to a team friendly extension also makes him more valuable. 

It would have to be 6/80-100 at least. If you're Hahn you do this now, if he says no, you listen on him until you get what you want.  I said that in the gamethread. You have to try to keep him. Given his stuff is still there, as we saw Saturday, I doubt he takes a long term deal. 6/80 IMO is the Sale deal with inflation. Sale signed 2 years in a 7/66 deal. 

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I agree that TDL 2019 is probably the right time to pull the trigger but they should listen both now and this coming winter. You never know what could get offered. Even if they don't move him, they could gain insight on completing a deal next July. 

Yeah unless the Yankees desperate for rotation help make an offer you can't refuse I think you have to retain him and hope he regains his value.

Something along the lines of Justus Shieffield,  Albert Abreu, Luis Medina, Dermis Garcia.

Edited by wrathofhahn

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Yes Strasburg did sign an extension, but it wasn't team-friendly. Guy still got paid. After this year, he is still owed $138m over 5 years.

Edited by soxfan2014

12 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

We have some options to move.

Abreu

Nate Jones

James Shields

Luis Avilian

Joakim Soria

Xavier Cedeno

Bruce Rodon

We also have some longterm guys who could be moved.

Yolmer Sanchez

Jace Fry

Hector Santiago

Move any and all.  I was an early advocate of moving Fry, but I would demand a return; and I understand why  the Sox would be reluctant to do it.  Fry is a prospect who looks like he has a complete game, and we immediately ship him out - that is certainly risky.
Same with Abreu - I would move him, but I understand why they wouldn't.  They could move him next season, and they would still get some value, while keeping his leadership/clubhouse value for another year.  

But  guys like Shields/Santiago and soon Gonzalez are cloggers more than anything.  Move them ASAP, if possible.

trade every reliever. the elite ones are gone (unless jones comes back strong and healthy) but you still might get a return plus it helps to get another top3 pick if you have a couple bullpen implosions:).

would also trade abreu if the offer is right (a top100 or non top100 50 and a filler).

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

The information I'll have in 3 years over how good Rodon actually is, the production he'll have provided are more valuable to me right now than the discount rate potential for years 2022-25 or the discount rate of trading him. Sometimes just hold tight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Generally, yes, every reliever should go.

I'd keep Jace Fry though -- without a track record, his value will be limited, and he's got five years of control remaining. We do need MLB depth pieces going forward, and he's got some upside too.

I would trade any of our relievers for the right price, but I doubt we get offered much for Fry based on the short track record. 

Soria could help a contender's bullpen, especially against right handers (.214 wOBA). We might not get a ton in return for him due to his salary, but he should be tradeable. 

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

We'd be crazy to offer him an extension without seeing how his shoulder holds up first. So glad some of you guys aren't gm

unless it is a cheap extension. he is a risk for getting injured again but if he signed something cheap like 3/35 or so his contract could turn into a bargain (like quintana and sale) if he is healthy and dealing and in case he busts it is a sunk cost.

giving him a triple digit extension would indeed be foolish, especially because he under contract through 2021. I would actually like such an extension. In case he has career ending injury (shoulder is always risky) he is set for life and if he gets healthy and good sox have him through most of their window of contention.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

11 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

I disagree. What Abreu means to the team in terms of leadership to the young players and his role of big brother to Moncada means the Sox determine Abreu's value. If that value is not met then he is not traded. I've been saying for a while now that IMHO Abreu is more valuable to the Sox than what another team is willing to pay in a trade.

It's best to wait and see without expectations. I still remember spring training 2018 some Sox fans felt Hahn should have taken the best offer for Q. Hahn's patience payed off big time.

I think a lot of people underestimate how important it is for players to not only have good coaching from the staff, but to have people off of the staff that also show leadership.  The best organizations are self-taught and self-disciplined.  Jose Abreu leading the way for the young players is going to have a much larger impact than anything the coaching staff has to say.  Leading by example has a huge impact.

Oh, and it also is really nice that Jose Abreu is a legitimate middle of the order bat who is extremely consistent from year to year.

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He said he's tired of losing, Shields said it too. I think that is a sign. Jose is a pro and has done nothing but demolish AL pitching since he's been here. Can't say the same about Shields. 

He's also said he wants to play for the White Sox for the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

We'd be crazy to offer him an extension without seeing how his shoulder holds up first. So glad some of you guys aren't gm

The whole point of extending now is to get a discount. If you can get him for 6/$90 after this year, for example (team control through 2024), then you're taking a risk that he'll blow out and you're on the hook for that money, but he's taking a risk of losing 3 prime free agency years if he does bounce back. Of course it's a gamble, but if you're unwilling to take calculated risks trying to build a championship baseball team, you're not going to build a championship baseball team.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bmags said:

The information I'll have in 3 years over how good Rodon actually is, the production he'll have provided are more valuable to me right now than the discount rate potential for years 2022-25 or the discount rate of trading him. Sometimes just hold tight.

At this point, I don't know that I am willing to look at a close to market rate extension with Rodon with the information I know today.  Unless we got a great deal with a lot of the free agent years falling into team options, I would probably pass.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At this point, I don't know that I am willing to look at a close to market rate extension with Rodon with the information I know today.  Unless we got a great deal with a lot of the free agent years falling into team options, I would probably pass.

I'd be pretty scared to. Let's save our bullets for CoveY Young

Rodon has what, 3 more years until free agency? I kind of feel like signing an extension now would be dumb for him. He's better off gambling on himself for a year or so and then try to discuss an extension.

Edit: also, I know you just tossed out a number, but I'm definitely not signing a guy to a 6 year, $90 mill ($15m a year) until he proves he can stay healthy. Both sides are better off waiting until there is some sort of track record of health before signing an extension.

Edited by soxfan2014

52 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

The whole point of extending now is to get a discount. If you can get him for 6/$90 after this year, for example (team control through 2024), then you're taking a risk that he'll blow out and you're on the hook for that money, but he's taking a risk of losing 3 prime free agency years if he does bounce back. Of course it's a gamble, but if you're unwilling to take calculated risks trying to build a championship baseball team, you're not going to build a championship baseball team.

I'm in favor of taking calculated risks just not badly calculated risks.

I think the interesting thing for me at this trade deadline will be to see how many players are dealt, and the depth of the players who are dealt.  If we see another heavy year of players going out who aren't at the end of their deals, that means the Sox don't see themselves as competing very soon.

Expect to get dealt:

Soria and Avilan

Perhaps, but would need to be good offer:

Abreu, Yolmer and Jones

Who would want em?:

Shields, Santiago, Cedeno 

I doubt anyone else gets moved.  I'd trade Bruce Rondon for sure, but I don't think he necessarily fits into any of those categories.  He is controllable through 2020, so I wouldn't just give him away, but also can't expect THAT much in return.  He's probably worth more to hold onto than move at this point.   

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's way too soon to even think about a Rodon extension. He's under team control through 2021 and will need to prove he is healthy before he's going to sign a multi year deal anywhere. 

18 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

It's way too soon to even think about a Rodon extension. He's under team control through 2021 and will need to prove he is healthy before he's going to sign a multi year deal anywhere. 

Typically it wouldn't be too early, but with the injury history and the questions about work ethic, that is what gets me wondering.