Kopech "getting closer"

southsider2k5

I just saw something tonight that if true, now has me concerned about the kid, especially the way he started the minor league season. Supposedly tonight in 3+ innings he walked eight, hit two batters and threw FIVE wild pitches.

WTF? That can't be right. That's Nuke LaLoosh there,not one of the top prospects in the game.

30 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I just saw something tonight that if true, now has me concerned about the kid, especially the way he started the minor league season. Supposedly tonight in 3+ innings he walked eight, hit two batters and threw FIVE wild pitches.

WTF? That can't be right. That's Nuke LaLoosh there,not one of the top prospects in the game.

That is a line that would make "Wild Thing" Charlie Sheen proud.

Kopech is closer to AA than the Show right now unfortunately. 

His command has improved but around 4.5-5 walks per 9 is still too high.  Good mlb starters usually walk around 2 per 9. With elite stuff like kopech has you can get away with 3 but 4+ is reliever territory.  He doesn't need elite command (Randy Johnson never had elite command either and walked like 3 most of his career) but he needs to keep it in check a little more.

6 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

His command has improved but around 4.5-5 walks per 9 is still too high.  Good mlb starters usually walk around 2 per 9. With elite stuff like kopech has you can get away with 3 but 4+ is reliever territory.  He doesn't need elite command (Randy Johnson never had elite command either and walked like 3 most of his career) but he needs to keep it in check a little more.

So Michael Kopech is the right handed version of Randy Johnson? Very interesting... I guess we can already say that Hahn won the Sale trade then. 

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2018 at 12:39 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yeah, we certainly wouldn't want him screwing up our playoff push this year. Better off letting him continue to be frustrated at being stuck in AAA and let him stew on that for another few months during these precious games.

Yeah, I bet you loved his line from last night. 8bb in 3IP?

But no, you go on believing that "frustration" is somehow terminal to his MLB dreams. Perhaps he can go see Dr. Jobe for a frustratectomy, before his "frustration" becomes life-threatening.

Not going to get down on Kopech because he's still so young and I do believe eventually he will become more of a pitcher instead of a wild cannon. He's a pitcher that's still building up his innings so arm fatigue is bound to happen at some point and could be the cause of his recent struggles. His highest season IP total is 134 last year and currently sits at 62.1. He's still developing.

He's in a funk right now but we've already seen him pitch really well for a pretty long stretch in AAA, so there's no doubt he can do it. There's no doubt he can win in MLB. Once he works through this, call him up. If he continues walking a lot of people, don't call him up.

• Like 1

I have looked in the game summary but there were no comments from him.  It would be a lot more helpful if he simply said, dead arm, couldn't find release point, etc.  The fact he was left in so long makes me think injury less likely.  Sometimes things off the field can interfere.  Last year second half his walk rate really improved so he has done it before.  

12 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Kopech's age, struggles and numbers are all legit reasons to let him stay in Charlotte to continue developing. If he doesn't make his White Sox debut this season, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Agreed. 3 months of Kopech on the mound this year for a team not going anywhere vs. close to a full season of him pitching in 2025, in our competitive window (if most goes according to plan)?

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

5.20 ERA 1.44 WHIP 6.1 BB/9 innings.

If he came up, he wouldn't be any better than Fulmer or Giolito. 

His stuff is much, much better than both guys though. I think he should be in the majors with the big league coaching staff personally but there's obviously not a spot right now 

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

5.20 ERA 1.44 WHIP 6.1 BB/9 innings.

If he came up, he wouldn't be any better than Fulmer or Giolito. 

That is a huge supposition and most likely incorrect simply based on stuff. He can get away with many more mistakes due to the pure stuff. not to say he would be good but he wouldn't be at their level.

24 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed. 3 months of Kopech on the mound this year for a team not going anywhere vs. close to a full season of him pitching in 2025, in our competitive window (if most goes according to plan)?

Should not have any bearing on whether they bring him up or not. If he's not ready, he's not ready but the quality of the MLB is irrelevant.

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Should not have any bearing on whether they bring him up or not. If he's not ready, he's not ready but the quality of the MLB is irrelevant.

And so far, he doesn't seem ready. Let him work it out and "hopefully" dominate the rest of the Triple-A season (what, another 2 and a half months?).

And I disagree. it should at least be a small factor. 

Edited by soxfan2014

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That is a huge supposition and most likely incorrect simply based on stuff. He can get away with many more mistakes due to the pure stuff. not to say he would be good but he wouldn't be at their level.

He can't throw strikes which makes him meat in the major leagues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

His stuff is much, much better than both guys though. I think he should be in the majors with the big league coaching staff personally but there's obviously not a spot right now 

there isn't a spot in Chicago? On their pitching staff? Buwahahaha. Kopech isn't in the bigs because he doesn't belong there. Dude can't throw strikes. He needs to develop against lesser competition and hone in his command. No need for him to be in the bigs with a 2+ WHIP gettin shellacked every night. big league hitters are not scared of 100 mile per hour heat, they are scared of it when you can place it. Kopech needs to stay in the minors and figure out if he's a future top of the rotation starter or is destined for the bullpen. No need to rush him right now.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He can't throw strikes which makes him meat in the major leagues.

He can throw enough strikes with better stuff to do better than the other two. He is still learning how to pitch, no doubt. However, his K:bb ratio will still put him in far better position. Giolito has a negative ratio.

Just now, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, I bet you loved his line from last night. 8bb in 3IP?

But no, you go on believing that "frustration" is somehow terminal to his MLB dreams. Perhaps he can go see Dr. Jobe for a frustratectomy, before his "frustration" becomes life-threatening.

I'll continue to see these athletes as humans with emotions. I'm sorry you feel differently. 

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

If he's walking AAA hitters at this rate right now, more patient MLB hitters would eat him alive. 

He should be down in AAA all year to work on command/control. No reason to rush a player that clearly is not ready for the show yet. 

The argument could be made that Dunning could be pushed to AAA later this season, as he is pretty clearly our most advanced pitching prospect in the system.

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

If he's walking AAA hitters at this rate right now, more patient MLB hitters would eat him alive. 

He should be down in AAA all year to work on command/control. No reason to rush a player that clearly is not ready for the show yet. 

The argument could be made that Dunning could be pushed to AAA later this season, as he is pretty clearly our most advanced pitching prospect in the system.

The question wasn't if he is ready for the MLB. The comment was that he would be in the Fulmer/Giolito range of performance right now. i think he would be better than those but not necessarily ready for the MLB.

However, As I said previously if people want to wait for his BB rate to go below say 4.5 BB/9, they may never see him in the MLB. He just isn't that type of pitcher.

22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The question wasn't if he is ready for the MLB. The comment was that he would be in the Fulmer/Giolito range of performance right now. i think he would be better than those but not necessarily ready for the MLB.

However, As I said previously if people want to wait for his BB rate to go below say 4.5 BB/9, they may never see him in the MLB. He just isn't that type of pitcher.

His K/9 was below 4.5 last year, but I agree with your general point.  He’s always going to be a little wild and that’s fine with his kind of stuff.