Promotions: Affiliate Predictions

Y2Jimmy0

I was looking at rosters earlier and trying to figure out what the hell Chris Getz is going to do. Many guys need promotions and some guys aren't ready to move to accommodate. Here's my best guess. 

AAA Charlotte Knights

1B Casey Gillaspie

2B Danny Mendick (from AA)

SS Eddy Alvarez/Jose Rondon

3B Matt Skole

DH Patrick Leonard

OF: Eloy Jimenez (from AA), Jacob May, Mason Robbins

Catcher: Alfredo Gonzalez, Brett Austin, Dustin Garneau

Rotation: 1. Michael Kopech 2. Jordan Stephens 3. Carson Fulmer 4. Spencer Adams 5. Donn Roach

Bullpen: Aaron Bummer, Tyler Danish, Chris Beck, Juan Minaya, Ricardo Pinto, Rob Scahill, Gregory Infante, etc

Issues: Eloy will definitely be moving. Charlotte needs to keep some 4A guys in case of injury with White Sox but it makes things harder. An infielder or two from Birmingham to Charlotte would make sense as well. Guys like Jake Elmore, Alex Pressley and Michael Saunders are also currently on this roster. 

AA Birmingham Barons

1B: Nick Basto/Zach Remillard (from High A)

2B: Trey Michalczewski/Bryant Flete

SS: Yeyson Yrizarri (From High A)

3B: Matt Rose

Catcher: Zack Collins and Seby Zavala

OF: Luis Alexander Basabe, Alex Call and Joel Booker (from High A). Jameson Fisher, Tito Polo

Rotation: 1. Alec Hansen 2. Dane Dunning 3. Dylan Cease (from High A) 4. Jordan Guerrero 5. Ian Clarkin

Bullpen: Ian Hamilton, Jose Ruiz, Ryan Burr, Brian Clark, Connor Walsh, etc

Issues: I think Keon Barnum gets released first of all. Multiple OF from W-S need to come up to AA. Cease should as well and Flores has argument too. Hamilton and Ruiz could be in AAA but there's lots of 4A filler up there currently. 

A+ Winston Salem Dash 

1B Gavin Sheets

2B Mitch Roman

SS Laz Rivera 

3B Ti'Quan Forbes

DH: Micker Adolfo

Catcher: Yermin Mercedes and Nate Nolan

OF: Luis Robert, Blake Rutherford, Luis Gonzalez

Rotation: 1. Bernardo Flores 2. Lincoln Henzman 3. Blake Battenfield 4. Jimmy Lambert 5. Luis Martinez

Bullpen: Tyler Johnson (from Low A), Blake Hickman, Danny Dopico, Matt Foster, Kyle Kubat, Zach Thompson, etc

Issues: Robert and Gonzalez need to be here. Dedelow has an argument as well. Madrigal will be here eventually. Adolfo could be a candidate to move up too. Guys like Gonzalez, Johnson, Henzman and Rivera need to move to W-S.

A- Kannapolis Intimidators

1B Justin Yurchak

2B Tate Blackman

SS Johan Cruz

3B Luis Curbelo

DH Anthony Villa

Catcher: Evan Skoug and Carlos Perez

OF: Steele Walker, Craig Dedelow, Alex Destino, Tyler Frost

Rotation: John Parke, Yosmer Solorzano, Parker Rigler. 

Issues: More than a handful of guys need to move up to W-S. Some of the college draft picks could end up here as well. 

Who am I missing? What do you guys think? 

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I was looking at rosters earlier and trying to figure out what the hell Chris Getz is going to do. Many guys need promotions and some guys aren't ready to move to accommodate. Here's my best guess. 

AAA Charlotte Knights

1B Casey Gillaspie

3B Matt Skole

DH Patrick Leonard

Rotation: 1. Michael Kopech 2. Jordan Stephens 3. Carson Fulmer 4. Spencer Adams 5. Donn Roach

Bullpen: Aaron Bummer, Tyler Danish, Chris Beck, Juan Minaya, Ricardo Pinto, Rob Scahill, Gregory Infante, etc

Issues: Eloy will definitely be moving. Charlotte needs to keep some 4A guys in case of injury with White Sox but it makes things harder. An infielder or two from Birmingham to Charlotte would make sense as well. Guys like Jake Elmore, Alex Pressley and Michael Saunders are also currently on this roster. 

AA Birmingham Barons

OF: Luis Alexander Basabe, Alex Call and Joel Booker (from High A). Jameson Fisher, Tito Polo

Rotation: 1. Alec Hansen 2. Dane Dunning 3. Dylan Cease (from High A) 4. Jordan Guerrero 5. Ian Clarkin

Issues: I think Keon Barnum gets released first of all. Multiple OF from W-S need to come up to AA. Cease should as well and Flores has argument too. Hamilton and Ruiz could be in AAA but there's lots of 4A filler up there currently. 

A+ Winston Salem Dash 

1B Gavin Sheets

2B Mitch Roman

SS Laz Rivera 

3B Ti'Quan Forbes

Rotation: 1. Bernardo Flores 2. Lincoln Henzman 3. Blake Battenfield 4. Jimmy Lambert 5. Luis Martinez

Bullpen: Tyler Johnson (from Low A), Blake Hickman, Danny Dopico, Matt Foster, Kyle Kubat, Zach Thompson, etc

Issues: Robert and Gonzalez need to be here. Dedelow has an argument as well. Madrigal will be here eventually. Adolfo could be a candidate to move up too. Guys like Gonzalez, Johnson, Henzman and Rivera need to move to W-S.

1B Justin Yurchak

2B Tate Blackman

SS Johan Cruz

3B Luis Curbelo

DH Anthony Villa

Issues: More than a handful of guys need to move up to W-S. Some of the college draft picks could end up here as well. 

Shouldnt either Collins or Zavala move to AAA?

I think letting Zavala DH and catch part-time in AAA has to be one of the many moves they're considering.

Collins should probably stay down there until the end of July...maybe he gets moved up for the final month of the MILB schedule, but they need to maximize their catching time (as well as accumulating at-bats.)

Edited by caulfield12

Fwiw, the last similar college middle infielder we drafted (Beckham) played just 14 games in Kanny his draft year.

Madrigal should sign faster and has at least a 50/50 shot at Winston-Salem by the end of August.   Might move depending on the post-season playoffs for both teams.

Just some thoughts I had from reading

1. I'd be willing to bet that Zavala gets promoted to AAA

2. Dedelow deserves a promotion but with the logjam might not get one

3. Eddy Alvarez, albeit at 28 years old, is having a great year for Charlotte and it would be cool to see him in the majors in September given his background 

10 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Why does everybody think it will be Zavala instead of Collins moving up? Is it because reports have him ahead defensively?

Yes. Though there may be a coach in Charlotte they specifically want him to work on. Sounds like Zevala in an emergency could play catcher whereas I think they'd want to avoid that with Collins.

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

AAA Charlotte Knights

1B Casey Gillaspie

3B Matt Skole

DH Patrick Leonard

AA Birmingham Barons

A+ Winston Salem Dash 

1B Gavin Sheets

2B Mitch Roman

SS Laz Rivera 

3B Ti'Quan Forbes

1B Justin Yurchak

2B Tate Blackman

SS Johan Cruz

3B Luis Curbelo

DH Anthony Villa

This all looks really good, and it's exciting to see so much talent moving up. The one name I would add to this is Ryan Cordell. Isn't he due to come back at some point? He'll need regular PT at Charlotte. Also, it would be nice to have regular ABs for all five of the guys you have listed as OFs at Birmingham. To make that happen, either Zavala or Collins would need to get promoted to Charlotte to open the DH spot, or Polo or FIsher could get promoted to Charlotte (not sure they've earned it yet), or maybe Fisher gets some time at 1B at Basto's expense. Lastly, is Corey Zangari around anymore?

40 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Why does everybody think it will be Zavala instead of Collins moving up? Is it because reports have him ahead defensively?

Hes also 1 1/2 years older than collins so everythung else being equal, hes the o e to push more aggressively.

25 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

This all looks really good, and it's exciting to see so much talent moving up. The one name I would add to this is Ryan Cordell. Isn't he due to come back at some point? He'll need regular PT at Charlotte. Also, it would be nice to have regular ABs for all five of the guys you have listed as OFs at Birmingham. To make that happen, either Zavala or Collins would need to get promoted to Charlotte to open the DH spot, or Polo or FIsher could get promoted to Charlotte (not sure they've earned it yet), or maybe Fisher gets some time at 1B at Basto's expense. Lastly, is Corey Zangari around anymore?

Good point on Cordell. Going to need room for Jimenez, Cordell and Tilson. May/Robbins might be outside looking in soon.

1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

Hahn specifically mentioned that Zavala and Smith would have been promotion options because of the Castillo suspension if they hadn't been hurt.

And to the topic at hand, very shortly you are going to see a decent amount of moves coming from the White Sox.  The first thing they will try to do is deal some of these guys.  Guys like Pressley and Saunders may get traded for cash to other organizations or they may get released.  There will definitely be guys who are released, there will be guys who suddenly come down with "injuries", and still others demoted.

Between injuries on the 40 man roster, and players needing promotion, there might be as many as 10 roster spots that need to be freed up in the organization right now.  This is going to be a really interesting two weeks or so to see how they figure out how to do this roster crunch.

19 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Not sure how long players typically wait after the CWS but I wouldn't be surprised if they want til Mid July to have him playing in high A

With how much time be missed he's bound to be much more fresh than your average college player, so they might start him as soon as he signs.