Immigration thread

StrangeSox

11 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

When you are arrested and put in jail waiting for trial where would your kids go if you had no family to take care of them? They aren't going to sit in jail with you or be left alone to wonder around.

You dont want to respond to it because it is an actual rational response to the situation. It doesn't matter where it came from.

There is 0 problems wanting a better life for your family but there is a problem when it isn't done legally. There isn't anything innocent about it when they know it is illegal. It's like saying it is okay for me to go steal food from a store because I'm poor and my kids need the food for a better life.

No I read it. It was filled with false statements, so I want to know where it came from so that I can read the source material and respond to it.

If you are arrested, you get a bond hearing. Do these people get bond hearings? No. So quit comparing it to what if you were arrested for stealing food. Which again is a horrific comparison. If you were poor and your kids needed food, you could get welfare or many other programs the United States offers to ensure that people dont starve. Not to mention people crossing a border arent stealing anything, they are looking for a better life. They arent comparable.

But again, to a horrific person, crossing imaginary borders is the equivalent to stealing. Notice how you dont respond to things like laws being unjust, that governments have made horrific laws before and that people like you have enforced them.

Keep arguing, you just are showing who you are. You think innocent people looking for a better life are comparable to thieves. Im sure you would have said the same about Rosa Parks, after all she broke the imaginary line in the bus law. Front of the bus is only for people like you. Freedom and safety is only for people like you.

Please link who said that long post, I want to have some fun tonight. 

Edited by Soxbadger

Oh and that whole long post can be summed up in the following from the National Review:

The Trump administration isn’t changing the rules that pertain to separating an adult from the child. Those remain the same. Separation happens only if officials find that the adult is falsely claiming to be the child’s parent, or is a threat to the child, or is put into criminal proceedings.

It’s the last that is operative here. The past practice had been to give a free pass to an adult who is part of a family unit. The new Trump policy is to prosecute all adults. The idea is to send a signal that we are serious about our laws and to create a deterrent against re-entry. (Illegal entry is a misdemeanor, illegal re-entry a felony.)

This creates the choice of either releasing the adults and children together into the country pending the ajudication of the asylum claim, or holding the adults and releasing the children

Wow, so you can release them pending the adjudication of the asylum claim. And they cant even spell adjudication correctly, yet Im supposed to take their word when they say:

"The adult should be reunited quickly with his or her child, and the family returned home as a unit. In this scenario, there’s only a very brief separation."

Notice how in that opinion piece there is not a single fact, nothing is researched. There is no evidence. But yes, Ill just take his word for it. I mean Rich Lowry has never even visited one of those centers, so what exactly is he basing his opinion on.

(edit/delete)

Sorry the quote formatting got messed up.

Edited by Soxbadger

7 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

No I am not, but thank you. Like I said there is probably more to this than what the media presents. Children are taken away from their American parents every single day in the US when they have done something illegal. And I am sure a lot of those kids are put in worse positions then these kids are in that we are seeing a very small portion of. 

Comparing this to concentration camps is just asinine in every way. 

They're literally concentration camps.

Not all concentration camps are the same as Nazi death camps, but they're concentration camps.

1 hour ago, RockRaines said:

Seeking asylum isn’t illegal and any viewpoint that you use to rationalize putting toddlers in cages away from their parents is ridiculous and makes you an asshole. 

Yeah, it's a fun game they're trying to play. They're shutting down portals and refusing to let people legally seek asylum, so the people then cross and find border checkpoints instead. But now they're "criminals" and we'll steal their children and more likely than not lose them.

Comparisons to arrests and jailing before trials (which itself is rife with injustice) are of course wildly off the mark. We managed to not have this deliberate "zero tolerance, send toddlers to tent concentration camps" policy for decades prior to Trump. Now we have this policy that has a goal of being a painful deterrent according to the words of the administration itself. Trying to pass this off as "we're just enforcing the law" rather than this being how they choose to do things to punish these people is completely dishonest.

There is 0 problems wanting a better life for your family but there is a problem when it isn't done legally.

So at the same time, Trump and Co. are pushing for drastic cuts to legal immigration and have already stripped hundreds of thousands of Latin American residents of their protected status, forcing them to leave. They've essentially stopped refugee resettlement. They're ramping up a legal office to strip naturalized citizens of their citizenship and deport them. They've drastically curtailed asylum claims.  This isn't about stopping legal immigration, it's about stopping immigration, period.

Edited by StrangeSox

17 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Anne Coulter is such a wonderful woman. Here's what she has to say about the kids separated from their parents:

“These child actors weeping and crying on all the other networks 24/7 right now—do not fall for it, Mr. President,

This is how the right-wing media is covering this story. This is why the deflections about "oh Trump only meant to call MS-13 animals!" was always bullshit--this is how fascist ethnic rhetoric works. You target a subgroup of your real target, one that is hard to defend like MS-13, when the real attack is much broader as you conflate the subgroup with the group more and more and more. The Bolshevik Jewish insurgents against the good people of Germany slowly become the vermin Jews, no distinction. All brown immigrants become ISIS or Al Qaeda or MS-13 (or "potential" members). That is how dehumanizing rhetoric works.

And note that so far, we've only been allowed to see camps of young boys. Where are the girls, the toddlers? Why aren't we being shown their conditions? Possibly because it's a lot easier to demonize 12-17 year old males than it is to do the same to toddlers and 6 year old girls. Nielsen flatly refused to answer questions on this in her press conference yesterday.

hey look "we're just enforcing DEMOCRAT law and court orders" is transparent bullshit. tossing so many children into concentration camps that we're erecting new ones out of tents in the desert is official Trump policy and can be changed in an instant.

14 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

This is how the right-wing media is covering this story. This is why the deflections about "oh Trump only meant to call MS-13 animals!" was always bullshit--this is how fascist ethnic rhetoric works. You target a subgroup of your real target, one that is hard to defend like MS-13, when the real attack is much broader as you conflate the subgroup with the group more and more and more. The Bolshevik Jewish insurgents against the good people of Germany slowly become the vermin Jews, no distinction. All brown immigrants become ISIS or Al Qaeda or MS-13 (or "potential" members). That is how dehumanizing rhetoric works.

And note that so far, we've only been allowed to see camps of young boys. Where are the girls, the toddlers? Why aren't we being shown their conditions? Possibly because it's a lot easier to demonize 12-17 year old males than it is to do the same to toddlers and 6 year old girls. Nielsen flatly refused to answer questions on this in her press conference yesterday.

The US has already been invaded, and they took over the White House.

Kellyanne was on Cuomo's show last night. Wow is she out there. She kept referring to him as Christopher, trying to scold him when he stated facts. She's Catholic and a mother was her defense. It was sort of like saying, hey I have a black friend, I can't be a racist. Coumo was sticking it to her telling her the spin wasn't working. She said she wasn't trying to spin anything, then tried changing the subject. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Funny how this problem all goes away if Dems agree to spend $25 billion on a wall. 

Idiot in chief could reunite little kids with their parents with a single phone call. He won’t though because he’s a shithead with a tiny brain and huge ego

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Kellyanne was on Cuomo's show last night. Wow is she out there. She kept referring to him as Christopher, trying to scold him when he stated facts. She's Catholic and a mother was her defense. It was sort of like saying, hey I have a black friend, I can't be a racist. Coumo was sticking it to her telling her the spin wasn't working. She said she wasn't trying to spin anything, then tried changing the subject. 

You know how much of a BS artist she is when even her husband doesn't buy it. https://twitter.com/gtconway3d?lang=en

He is a hilarious follow on Twitter because he trolls the Trump Admin nonstop despite her wife being Kellyanne. And he is demonstrably conservative. 

Edited by maggsmaggs

8 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

No I read it. It was filled with false statements, so I want to know where it came from so that I can read the source material and respond to it.

If you are arrested, you get a bond hearing. Do these people get bond hearings? No. So quit comparing it to what if you were arrested for stealing food. Which again is a horrific comparison. If you were poor and your kids needed food, you could get welfare or many other programs the United States offers to ensure that people dont starve. Not to mention people crossing a border arent stealing anything, they are looking for a better life. They arent comparable.

But again, to a horrific person, crossing imaginary borders is the equivalent to stealing. Notice how you dont respond to things like laws being unjust, that governments have made horrific laws before and that people like you have enforced them.

Keep arguing, you just are showing who you are. You think innocent people looking for a better life are comparable to thieves. Im sure you would have said the same about Rosa Parks, after all she broke the imaginary line in the bus law. Front of the bus is only for people like you. Freedom and safety is only for people like you.

Please link who said that long post, I want to have some fun tonight. 

I dont have time to reply to everything but they don't get bond hearings because they don't have status in the country so they go to jail and the kids are separated. Even if you were to get arrested there is not always a guarantee you get a bond hearing that day, your kid would still need to be separated from you.

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I dont have time to reply to everything but they don't get bond hearings because they don't have status in the country so they go to jail and the kids are separated. Even if you were to get arrested there is not always a guarantee you get a bond hearing that day, your kid would still need to be separated from you.

Just to be clear.  In your opinion, there isnt a better option than putting kids in cages away from their parents?

7 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

This is a Trump administration policy that was started in April specifically as a deterrent. It was not and is not necessary. Stop defending child concentration camps.

Edited by StrangeSox

a few weeks ago: "Trump only meant to compare MS-13 members to animals, he definitely doesn't want to disparage and dehumanize all immigrants!!"

Trump, today: Illegal immigrants will "infest our Country"

Migrants are criminals!

Edited by StrangeSox

5 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

big difference in putting kids in foster care and putting them in a repurposed walmart or a tent city with direct orders not to comfort or interact with the young children.  

6 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

They don't need to be separated. They could easily hold families together for a few days during a bond hearing or any expedited judicial process.

The policy implementation is purposefully horrendous to be a deterrent. Which of the type of thing horrible people like you defend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

They don't need to be separated. They could easily hold families together for a few days during a bond hearing or any expedited judicial process.

The policy implementation is purposefully horrendous to be a deterrent. Which of the type of thing horrible people like you defend.

Thats why I dont understand defending something that people know is wrong.  There are literally several other options.  Turn them away if you dont like immigrants here.  

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

big difference in putting kids in foster care and putting them in a repurposed walmart or a tent city with direct orders not to comfort or interact with the young children.  

Two things can be true at the same time:

- US should be more lenient with house arrest-type set-ups for parents with children in many more cases than it is

- Separating a child from their parent in a new country and putting them in a shelter with other lost children with no answers to when they can see their parent, family, or any familiarity ever again.

And both the previous system and the legal system prioritizes finding some version of known family for children like these. The abundant growth and purposeful separation makes it very likely some to many may lose track of their parents (meaning the government will not know the whereabouts).

• Quin locked this topic
  • Quin unlocked this topic