Nate Jones to DL, Minaya called up

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Another "team-friendly" deal that starts to tilt in the players' direction.

Another? What are some others?

And that isn't true at all. The next two years are cheap team options, and the third is a cheap mutual option. 

25 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

He meant in general, not just the Sox.

Yes, this is correct.  It's kind of my shtick, but people in baseball are so quick to holler in amazement when GMs convince players to sign these deals, as if the players are having the wool pulled over their eyes.

These players are human beings with bodies that may fall apart, especially pitchers.  It was the right move by both Hahn and Jones at the time, this is an example of where the player erring on the side of caution may likely turn out to be the better move in the end.

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Barstool Dave seems to think he's done for the year. Any insight @ptatc?

I don't think that's what he meant. His schtick this season has been tweeting news 20-30 minutes after it was reported and passing it off as his own as an attempt at humor. I interpreted his tweet as just another one of those, and not actual info 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think that's what he meant. His schtick this season has been tweeting news 20-30 minutes after it was reported and passing it off as his own as an attempt at humor. I interpreted his tweet as just another one of those, and not actual info 

In the responses someone asked "done for the year?" and he said "prob". Maybe he got info,maybe he didn't just thought I'd bring it up.

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

In the responses someone asked "done for the year?" and he said "prob". Maybe he got info,maybe he didn't just thought I'd bring it up.

I see. Not sure if that was a stab at Jones' injury history or actual info but I hadn't seen that prior, so thanks for clarifying. Not sure what to make of Dave as an insider anymore since he doesn't break news and when he does, it's sarcastic 

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Another "team-friendly" deal that starts to tilt in the players' direction.

It is still a very team friendly deal.  Sox actually owe him less to retain him next season (ML minimum) than they would if they bought out his contract.  

As for the injury, that sucks.  I am sort of done with Minaya.  I would have rather seen Gomez, Danish or Vieira. 

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

would it honestly surprise anybody if he was?...not I.

2 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Yes, this is correct.  It's kind of my shtick, but people in baseball are so quick to holler in amazement when GMs convince players to sign these deals, as if the players are having the wool pulled over their eyes.

These players are human beings with bodies that may fall apart, especially pitchers.  It was the right move by both Hahn and Jones at the time, this is an example of where the player erring on the side of caution may likely turn out to be the better move in the end.

He makes like a million dollars a year. It's good for him but we have lost practically nothing. If at any point in the next three years he puts together even MOST of a good season, it will all be worth it.

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

Uh oh. Not a good sign for a previous UCL guy. This is the primary muscle that supoorts the medial elbow.

Yes. Often this is  sign of the UCL giving out again. If the UCL gives out the pronator flexor muscles try to take over for the UCL and are overloaded subsequently and then you get a strain.

4 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Yes. Often this is  sign of the UCL giving out again. If the UCL gives out the pronator flexor muscles try to take over for the UCL and are overloaded subsequently and then you get a strain.

Its can be the other way around as well. Each pitch puts enough stress on the elbow to injure the UCL. The muscles, of which the pronator is the largest, are the only structures still holding it together. So this injury doesnt necessarily mean the UCL is injured as in your scenario, although its possible, but it does mean he continues to put excessive stress to the area.

17 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

It is still a very team friendly deal.  Sox actually owe him less to retain him next season (ML minimum) than they would if they bought out his contract.  

As for the injury, that sucks.  I am sort of done with Minaya.  I would have rather seen Gomez, Danish or Vieira. 

Yes, all 3 of them would be more interesting options. 

I think Danish has a chance to be a solid reliever, especially against righties.