6/14 Games

joejoedairy

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

All hail Dane Dunning.

7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 9K.... Oh and most importantly 0 BBs

He rarely walks many. Hes a pitcher compared to many of the throwers the Sox have. His K:BB ratio is usually over 3:1

I've always been not crazy about Kopech, but very high on Moncada. I'm starting to become concerned about both. If Kopech/Moncada/Giolito flame out you can kiss 2020-2021 goodbye. As a matter of fact, if those 3 guys look like average players at best by the ASB 2019, it should cost Hahn/KW/Hostetler(if he's involved with pro scouting too) their jobs. 

I was present for Kopech's dud in Columbus a few weeks ago. He didn't look like he was struggling because he was trying to overthrow. He was 94-95 in his first inning, where he had walks/HBP/WP, 95-96 in the rest of the game where the command problems continued. Touched 98 a few times. Threw at least 25 fastballs before his first offspeed pitch. He did get knocked out of the game by a changeup that Adam Rosales roped into left for a single, though.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

I'm sure others will disagree, but sometimes I wish the Sox had him and Rodon just focus on perfecting their fastball command and slider instead of being so focused on developing a change up.  Just looked it up, and Kluber basically has two versions of his fastball and two of his slider. Besides that, he throws change up only 6 pct of time (1 pct to righties).  What he's done though is perfected his command of the pitches.

This is interesting...I never really thought of this.  Isn't this kind of what Covey has done?  He seems to command his fastball much better now than the little I saw of him last year.

See I actually disagree with many on Kopech. I want him in the big leagues with Cooper. His stuff is excellent. His command has been shit. I'd rather take these lumps and get it worked out in the majors. There's not really an easy way to make a spot right now though. 

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

See I actually disagree with many on Kopech. I want him in the big leagues with Cooper. His stuff is excellent. His command has been shit. I'd rather take these lumps and get it worked out in the majors. There's not really an easy way to make a spot right now though. 

I hope you're not complaining about Giolito then. Gio absolutely needs to be working with Coop. 

15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That is a good point. I think there could be advantages to that. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hope you're not complaining about Giolito then. Gio absolutely needs to be working with Coop. 

Giolito is working with Cooper. I think his lack of options is a big factor in why he's still in Chicago but I also don't think AAA necessarily fixes his issues. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Giolito is working with Cooper. I think his lack of options is a big factor in why he's still in Chicago but I also don't think AAA necessarily fixes his issues. 

Agreed on both points. Giolito is nearly 24 he needs to work out whatever his problems are at the MLB level. If he was drafted out of the NCAA I'd feel differently but he signed out of HS, and even though he missed a season with TJS he still had 4 full seasons in the minors. 

52 minutes ago, Jake said:

I was present for Kopech's dud in Columbus a few weeks ago. He didn't look like he was struggling because he was trying to overthrow. He was 94-95 in his first inning, where he had walks/HBP/WP, 95-96 in the rest of the game where the command problems continued. Touched 98 a few times. Threw at least 25 fastballs before his first offspeed pitch. He did get knocked out of the game by a changeup that Adam Rosales roped into left for a single, though.

Right there is what I was told a month back regarding Kopech. His velocity seems down to someone who saw him last year and now this year. Obviously it's still a very good fastball, but it's not the plus-plus consistent velocity like many thought he could be.  That's where his ability to command it comes into play. I still remember a few weeks back when they showed 3 strikeouts he had as highlights during a Sox game. Something that stuck out to me was he missed his spot on all 3 by about a foot. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah unless someone in AAA has a magic potion for him to regain his velocity and curve spin rate, there's not a lot of hope for him right now.  No way can you compared Giolito and Kopech.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Yeah unless someone in AAA has a magic potion for him to regain his velocity and curve spin rate, there's not a lot of hope for him right now.  No way can you compared Giolito and Kopech.

Fathom, you're waaaay too negative on Giolito. He sucks right now, but if he wasn't a major project he wouldn't have been available for Adam Eaton. If he was the consensus top pitching prospect in baseball that they thought he was a year earlier when he was traded in 2016, I don't think Eaton would have been enough to acquire him from the Nationals. In fact, it probably would have taken Mike Trout to acquire him at that point. He would have been untouchable for all intents and purposes. You have to accept that Giolito is much more risk than reward. He's a lottery ticket. If Coop can get him to 85% of the guy he was in 2015 that is a huge win. Also, you have to understand that the light either will or won't come on for him at the 300-400 IP range. Yes, we all have to be that patient. As long as he's getting his stuff back and making strides with command and control that is all we should ask of him at this point. Don't look at progress on a start by start basis, but a month by month basis. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Robert not looking good on the stats this season

He was at .276/.323/.379 before today (not good, but better). In other words, it's way too early for stats to matter for him with such a limited sample. Not to mention, this is a rehab stint. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

He was at .276/.323/.379 before today (not good, but better). In other words, it's way too early for stats to matter for him with such a limited sample. Not to mention, this is a rehab stint. 

I was just about to mention this. He was hitting like .309 on Monday. That's what small sample size does.

Guess what, if he goes 4 for 4 tomorrow, his AVG will be .307. That's an 80 point difference in one game. There no reason to worry about Robert whatsoever.

9 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I was pretty surprised the Sox targeted Kopech as he doesn't fit the profile at all. Obviously he throws hard, but it's neither highly repeatable or low effort and they've been smart enough to stay away from that profile with starters in the past. 

The reports at the time of the trade were that the Sox were targeting Beinetendi and Devers. And eventually "settled" for Moncada and Kopech. 

• bmags unpinned this topic