6/14 Games

joejoedairy

1 hour ago, daggins said:

Y'all are hilarious. A 22 year old has a month of bad-ish starts and everyone is like "I never liked him, why did we get him, Hahn got snookered."

Fucking this. This fanbase is so fucking fickle.

11 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I was pretty surprised the Sox targeted Kopech as he doesn't fit the profile at all. Obviously he throws hard, but it's neither highly repeatable or low effort and they've been smart enough to stay away from that profile with starters in the past. 

Then I assume you were absolutely shocked when they drafted Fulmer, Carson.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

IMHO

Fulmer was drafted because they thought they were a playoff team. That mistake was repeated when they traded for Shields.  They drafted a pitcher that they thought they could use soon.

And then repeated again with Burdi

13 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Robert not looking good on the stats this season

It is WAY too early for this.  The guy basically hasn't played competitive baseball for two years, except for a small stretch last year, and on top of that, basically didn't get a spring training to get up to full speed.  It will take him a bit to get into the ritual, routine and to get up to game speed.  He just needs to play.  The results are secondary.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fathom said:

Right there is what I was told a month back regarding Kopech. His velocity seems down to someone who saw him last year and now this year. Obviously it's still a very good fastball, but it's not the plus-plus consistent velocity like many thought he could be.  That's where his ability to command it comes into play. I still remember a few weeks back when they showed 3 strikeouts he had as highlights during a Sox game. Something that stuck out to me was he missed his spot on all 3 by about a foot. 

I would also say that since his velocity had an upward trajectory as the game went on, I can only assume that he's trying to tone things down. The Clippers that day basically never got a good swing on his fastball and seemed almost fooled by it half the time. They also looked terrible against his offspeed once he started using it, but of course he was putting guys on so much it didn't really matter — they only needed a single well-timed hit to score runs against him.

I suspect his issues are more mental than mechanical, which I do suppose is an argument for getting Coop's hands on him. Kopech has a pretty simple motion and in person it didn't seem very high effort. I'm guessing whatever problems he has with repeating his motion are probably fixable moreso by getting his mind right than having him try to do something different physically.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Lol so true

There was a post also that said the Sox better not bring him up this year I assume because of how bad he has looked lately and I thought hmm there's like 4 months left in the season all Kopech has to do is have maybe 4-5 good/great/dominant starts in a row that shows some command of his pitches. I think he can do that . He had a crappy month as well last year and then rebounded very nicely.

On the other hand I have been one of the few who think we will see Eloy up before Kopech but it's entirely possible they are brought up together.

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There was a post also that said the Sox better not bring him up this year I assume because of how bad he has looked lately and I thought hmm there's like 4 months left in the season all Kopech has to do is have maybe 4-5 good/great/dominant starts in a row that shows some command of his pitches. I think he can do that . He had a crappy month as well last year and then rebounded very nicely.

On the other hand I have been one of the few who think we will see Eloy up before Kopech but it's entirely possible they are brought up together.

Yeah I would put it pretty close to 50/50. 

I believe that AA is the real "big test" for Eloy. That's a stadium and level that has sucked up and spit out our hitters for years. But AAA is a good test for kopech, in that it's both a bandbox, and with more experienced hitters it's the place to really modify his control. 

Eloy in Charlotte to me is just finding the right series to promote him again.

• bmags unpinned this topic
On 6/15/2018 at 9:08 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was just about to mention this. He was hitting like .309 on Monday. That's what small sample size does.

Guess what, if he goes 4 for 4 tomorrow, his AVG will be .307. That's an 80 point difference in one game. There no reason to worry about Robert whatsoever.

And just like that, 3 days later and he's up to .289.