Do the White Sox have too much starting pitching?

Dam8610

So on the topic of pitching, Cease and Kopech are almost certainly going to be on innings limits next year.

Do you think there is a chance they start off in the pen to "extend" them for the end of the year?  Kinda how Sale was brought up?  Depending on how they're doing, that could be a real issue because I fully think we can contend next year.

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

So on the topic of pitching, Cease and Kopech are almost certainly going to be on innings limits next year.

Do you think there is a chance they start off in the pen to "extend" them for the end of the year?  Kinda how Sale was brought up?  Depending on how they're doing, that could be a real issue because I fully think we can contend next year.

Cease should be full go by next year, at least he should be expected to be able to go 180. I would guess kopech gets skipped here and there and gets pulled early if the team scores a bunch of runs. 

40 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm down for signing Cole or Bumgarner and Pineda this offseason. 

Pineda has slowly improved during his first season back from TJS. 

Wheeler >>>>> Bumgarner.  

Cole should obviously be our priority this offseason, but I’ll happily take Wheeler & Wood (on a pillow contract) as a consolation prize.  Resign Rodon and have him replace Kopech or Cease down the stretch.  Lopez starts the year in the pen and serves as the #6 guy until Rodon is ready.

Going into 2021, the rotation would be Giolito, Wheeler, Kopech (second full season), Cease (second full season), and either Rodon or Dunning.  To me, that’s potentially an awesome rotation.

• 3 years later...
4 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The good old days of 2019. Back when many around here thought Rick Hahn walked on water. My how things have changed since then... 

nobody believed that.  Ever. 

• Thanks 1

"Going into 2021, the rotation would be Giolito, Wheeler, Kopech (second full season), Cease (second full season), and either Rodon or Dunning.  To me, that’s potentially an awesome rotation."

Rick Hahn likes this post. 

Theoretical plans have to count for something... 

It would've been a good rotation, if they actually signed Wheeler and kept Rodon. Assuming Dunning was not traded you'd have:

Giolito

Rodon

Wheeler

Cease

Kopech

With Dunning as the long man/6th starter. Rodon leaves for a big deal after 2022 and Dunning slides in. Too bad the White Sox are allergic to execution.

57 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This. He was pretty untouchable up until like 2021ish.

I think a lot of people turned on him in 2019 after (predictably) failing to sign Machado and/or Harper, at least to my point of view. People were steaming mad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Most people really defended him (myself included). 

This. He was pretty untouchable up until like 2021ish.

47 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

And they ran off a good number of skeptics.

It turned into WSI here for a while.

The revisionist history around here by some sure is interesting to watch. Rick Hahn was the golden boy around these parts for quite some time. The chickens have all come home to roost now though, and Sox nation is stuck with a dead ass team already completely out of contention before May 15. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I think a lot of people turned on him in 2019 after (predictably) failing to sign Machado and/or Harper, at least to my point of view. People were steaming mad

Nah, I think people were more mad at Jerry for not allowing him to spend what it took to sign him.

• Thanks 1

This board was constantly shitting on the hahn offseasons. I would actually say there were no Hahn true believers, just those pushing back against doomers. 

There were obviously people who thought Hahn was going to make the right move at multiple points (see hahn negotiation fanfiction circa 2018), but I think if you asked anyone to rank hahn against all GMs he would have never been higher than like 10th at any one time.

Snippet of Hahn Negotiation fan fiction

Machado: I would like $300 million
Hahn: Go pound sand! nobody will ever pay you that! The padres stadium deal has hamstrung them forever! The Phillies are out! Mwahahahaha

• Like 1

Most people really defended him (myself included). 

People here were still very skeptical when they didn’t spend like they promised and did the “‘money will be spent”

there was no walking on water on this site.  Defending him sure but the dude was not gonna be the next Theo until he actually won something.  People were excited that it seemed we were gonna turn the corner for sure though 

• Haha 1

I was gonna ask if this thread was a joke until I saw the date.  Yeah no, you can never have too much starting pitching.  As evidenced now, when they basically have one good starter and quite literally nothing in the upper minors ready to help. 

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

This board was constantly shitting on the hahn offseasons. I would actually say there were no Hahn true believers, just those pushing back against doomers. 

There were obviously people who thought Hahn was going to make the right move at multiple points (see hahn negotiation fanfiction circa 2018), but I think if you asked anyone to rank hahn against all GMs he would have never been higher than like 10th at any one time.

Snippet of Hahn Negotiation fan fiction

Machado: I would like $300 million
Hahn: Go pound sand! nobody will ever pay you that! The padres stadium deal has hamstrung them forever! The Phillies are out! Mwahahahaha

And if his boss doesn’t allow him to spend that on one player?